Question re: CP badge from DS badge

DaemonHund

Longterm Registered User
Just a quick question,
if one holds a current SIA Door Supervisors badge, has done the 150 hrs CP course, can one work straight away in a CP job while waiting for the licence upgrade? Would like to hear from anyone that has done this route.

Cheers

Daemonhund,

The answer is quite simple, unfortunately you cannot work in a CP role with as DS badge even if you've done the training unless the employer has SIA Approved Contractor Status.

This is due to the fact that to be granted a licence, the SIA must check that you have the qualifications for that particular role (ie DS, CP, CCTV, CVIT, SG, VI) and that you don't have a criminal record.

They do not take previously granted licenses into consideration.

Hope that helps mate,
Stoney

Even once they have checked you are qualified, they still have to check your criminal record. Mine was delayed by them checking my foreign record (no convictions, just lived abroad) from 4 years ago even though they had already assessed it for my existing DS badge. They even assessed it based on exactly the same piece of paper submitted for my DS badge which was already on file.
The good news if that applications are usually being turned around much faster than they used to be.
The chances are that you're more likely to get work doing RST and Asset Protection first anyway which can be done on a DS badge, so apply for those sort of jobs.

Thanks guys,
Kinda what I was thinking, in other words...do the application process all over again. Well Im not surprised at all, because if the the SIA streamlined and made their process more efficient, then they would lose money.
thanks again...cheers

Don't forget that if you are applying for a second badge in a different sector then you get a 50% refund on the second badge fee. If your paying by debit card then you only pay the 50% but if your sending by cheque you have to pay the full amount and they will send you a refund for half back to you later, usually takes 2-4 weeks.

Thanks Kate, that is good to know ! we are talking about the same SIA though, thats the one in the UK?......just kidding, thanks for letting me know, that does make a difference for me.

Cheers Kate

Back