Radio Licensing


Super Moderator
I suspect I would be better off just PMing Vis, but just to open this up to discussion...

What are the options for being a professional radio user, as opposed to an amateur?

I realise that companies can buy a frequency from Ofcom and then the use of that becomes their responsibility, but what about individuals who want to legally use a wide variety of radio frequencies?

For example, how nice would it be if there was a professional qualification that Ofcom recognised and awarded both a Maritime and Amateur license for? After all, it is all the same training material... Well close enough for the purposes of an exam.


Super Moderator
Oh gawd, to be honest, I'm prob NOT the best on this!

I'm assuming you mean PMR's of various types. 'Professional' qualifications don't really count at this level, mainly applying to operators of higher power voice / video / data transmission hardware, where power / frequencies are tightly regulated.

Icom seem to have a decent, Q&A section on their website: What are the benefits of using a PMR446 Licence Free Two Way Radio for my Business! : PMR - Private Mobile Radio FAQ's : Icom UK - two way radio transceivers, receivers and navigation products

OFCOM, the regulator, have a mine of information, but ferreting through it is hard going !



Super Moderator
Cheers! :)

I find it frustrating that as a professional radio user (maritime and emergency services) that I cannot easily transfer that over to the Ham bands, Ofcom don't seem to get that I do not want to be CQing on the calling frequencies but have some use for VHF and UHF for real world activities.