Radio on training on SIA course

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Can anyone tell me if all SG and DS SIA courses include training on how to use radios, correct voice procedure etc. It wasn't included on mine many years ago but someone has told me it now is. However, I am unsure whether it is one employer putting it on their in house course or if all courses have it.

LW,

I don't believe it is mandatory, it should be in my opinion, having had to listen to so many poor comms operators.

Fair play to those who are training their staff!

Regards

premier

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Good call LW. It wasnt on mine in 2004. I feel it should be though, even if its just basics. Some of the drivvel I have heard, is sometimes entertaining, but when the sh*t hits the fan, you need a controlled net, and operators that know what they are saying, and when to say it.

Nothing on my DS course 2012. Although there is a phonetic alphabet in the appendix of the book:D

Not that I know of, over and out! ;)

....Thats a 10 - 4 Buddy!!!

It's like dragging nails over a blackboard!!.....I take my guys through basic procedures such as how to carry out a radio check, pro words and of course phonetic alphabet, but as mentioned not a core subject on the course material but should def be covered in my opinion.

All the best

NJ708

Sent from my iPad using Close Protection World

The radio course I wrote a while back and did a special offer on here was not well subscribed (whereas it goes down very well with ambulance staff), which tells me that people will have to be made to do the course. Radios are one of those things where you don't know how much you don't know until you know! ;)

No it is not Mandatory in the course, basically as there are no questions related to radio procedures in the exams...apart from pro words and the phonetic alphabet.
Being a trainer myself i do incorporate some radio experience in my courses just to help my students get used to holding and speaking via radio.
I too feel that there should be some sort of radio experience but i guess its down to the trainer who teaches you.

On both... But depends what test paper you get to whether you will have questions... Basically it is something you should learn anyway as sometime in the job you will be required to use radios.

On both... But depends what test paper you get to whether you will have questions... Basically it is something you should learn anyway as sometime in the job you will be required to use radios.

I do know how to use radios, I was trying to assess whether people coming into the industry now would have all had some training in using radios.

So pro-words and the phonetic alphabet are on? Is this the DS or SG course or both?

I vaguely remember it mentioned on old BIIAB content for the DS course but couldn't say 100% for definite though.

Personally I deliver the same to my guys on DS and SG courses, nothing worse listening to the "pub watch" radio and to some of the poor V.P., names being used over open radio etc,

I've also seen it in retail environments where you have guards walking about with open radios to their ears, volume maxed out with the description of the suspect shoplifter or person of interest booming out for the world to hear...including said person,

I believe you should have a basic competence in both roles, so that's what my guys receive during their training.

All the best

NJ708

Back