RAF Brize Norton (Programme) - Airborne Operations and Royal Marines

Carl Dowd

Longterm Registered User
Just a quick note to myself if I may... I have been watching the programme on RAF Brize Norton (Channel 11) and this week they covered JATE or whatever they call it these days... but if I may just remind? and of course correct the inaccuracy of a comment made by a Royal Marine Instructor... It seems to me that the Corps is struggling to embrace its own sayings or labels because they have already been slated for saying on an advert 'Ready for Anything' and of course we in the Airborne know who that belongs to, hence 'Utrinique Paratus'... and now, and according the some Bootneck... the Motto 'Knowledge dispels fear' is a ROYAL MARINE saying... complete and utter bollocks! the saying is in fact No1 PTS 'Motto'... FFS Royals????????????

As explained to me, whilst undertaking a how to fall out of a perfectly sound aircraft course.

The motto of the Parachute Training School being “Knowledge Dispels Fearâ€.

As put by the course PJI.†Should you exit at 1200ft and your parachute develops fully then depending on your weight and the prevailing conditions, you will land safely in around 40/45 secondsâ€. Knowledge Dispels Fear.

This is perhaps confused with the Royal Marine response.

Should you exit at 1200ft and everything goes wrong you will be in the ground in around 6 seconds.

Hence “A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thingâ€!!!!

As explained to me, whilst undertaking a how to fall out of a perfectly sound aircraft course.

The motto of the Parachute Training School being “Knowledge Dispels Fear”.

As put by the course PJI.” Should you exit at 1200ft and your parachute develops fully then depending on your weight and the prevailing conditions, you will land safely in around 40/45 seconds”. Knowledge Dispels Fear.

This is perhaps confused with the Royal Marine response.

Should you exit at 1200ft and everything goes wrong you will be in the ground in around 6 seconds.

Hence “A Little Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing”!!!!

Very true 'Trigger'... and at 1200' mate you were obviously on an 22' SSL..?

Carl

Back