RAF Regiment in Mali

2942matt

Full Registered User
British

Royal Air Force (RAF) Regiment troops, possibly based out of Honington or Wittering, have been deployed to Bamako as a force protection (FP) element for RAF operations in support of the French intervention in Mali. France’s Opération Serval is being supported by two RAF C-17ER transport planes, operated by No. 99 Squadron from RAF Brize Norton. These aircraft are to ferry French armoured vehicles from the Évreux-Fauville Air Base in France, to Bamako.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to happen really, unless we entrust Force Protection to the French. And in all honesty about the only role I would trust them with is waiting on!

Obviously guys... some of you 'Rocks' know as well as I do that the RAF Regiment is the only British unit to have been deployed in every theatre without a 'Gap' since World War 2. Where the RAF goes they go and they even deployed to Vietnam under the 'Harrier Protection Partnership' programme..! Oman and the Radfan.

If the Brylcream dudes are bringing their frames to earth you can bet your bottom dollar that the Regiment will be there to meet them...

CD

We all know that and we're proud of the fact. It's reassuring to see that the M.O.D./Government have kept the Regiment as the Force Protection element and not, politically, handed the responsibility over to the French, or heaven forbid, 'local defence forces'...
Where the wings go, the Rocks go and that's exactly how it should be....in fact why don't the Americans fund us and then we can protect their aircraft as well....? ( kidding, but we honestly would do a far better job than the National Guard wallahs they use at the moment...)
We look after our own and we do it b****y well....always have!

Oh c'mon, you all know damn well some rockape thought he heard 'Bali' and volunteered the lot of 'em!

Can't say I blame them! I would heard Bali and got out of Honington at this time of year..... The smell if the sugar factory and the pig farm. Bloody right I'd hear Bali!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh c'mon, you all know damn well some rockape thought he heard 'Bali' and volunteered the lot of 'em!

Love it... comes from the Gibralter days of course Standeasy... they use to run a 5 day 'Sun & Surf' course which used to finish in Tangiers... some thought that it was Tooting and git a bit of a shock...

CD :)

British

Royal Air Force (RAF) Regiment troops, possibly based out of Honington or Wittering, have been deployed to Bamako as a force protection (FP) element for RAF operations in support of the French intervention in Mali. France’s Opération Serval is being supported by two RAF C-17ER transport planes, operated by No. 99 Squadron from RAF Brize Norton. These aircraft are to ferry French armoured vehicles from the Évreux-Fauville Air Base in France, to Bamako.

Good bunch of lads the olde RAF Regt F.P.
Worked alongside them at Basrah COB a few years ago.

d

Bet the RAF Regiment are greatful for the government confirming that they "ARE NOT COMBAT TROOPS", and are only "Security" for the base.

Hi boropete,
well, he have to explain, never I called a another Army "shit", really...it's very basic!

Instead of demanding a further explaination for his own personal opinion on something which he is perfectly entitled to, why not counter his comments and explain why you think he is wrong?
The man has already delivered his opinion, however offended you might be, he might not feel obliged to go further into detail. The ball is in your court.

One might say that at least the French are fighting the war on terror in the right part of the world. Things have moved on over the past couple of years, and the west has been very slow to realize that the threat from some very serious players is now a couple of hours flying time from our shores in Africa. Or a short ferry ride to Spain.

The chaos of the Arab Spring has provided an enormous opportunity to those who seek to do us harm. Islamic groups/governments control most of the northern half of the African continent. That has to be a concern.

Good on France.

Hi boropete,
well, he have to explain, never I called a another Army "shit", really...it's very basic!

Plenty of shite armies out there, just because you not call them shite doesn't mean they are not :)

The basic part is, we don't trust what few aircraft we have to be looked after by other nations, most countries are the same on the subject. The French are concentrating on fighting the rebels, they would quite quickly lose sight of basic guarding tasks, hence why Force Protection is passed out to just anyone, it give a group of people an identity and a sense of ownership for the task.

Back