Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Recruitment Agency issues

lowpro55

Full Registered User
Throwing this one out to the considerable experience on this forum-I very recently for the first time made use of one of the many Security Recruitment Agencies as I am now actively targeting Corporate Security Roles. I applied for one suitable Management position to be told that I was not successful. Thinking that I may be lacking qualifications or experience I called them up and suggested that I go down and have a face to face so they could put a face to a name (they probably got tons of cv's so I figured the personal touch would help). I duly made the trek to the smoke (always a pleasure...) and had a great chat with one of the Directors who then promptly told me that he would put me forward for that role and that I had enough of the 'right stuff' to get into a decent Corporate role. Going home happy I then played the waiting game, emailed my thanks and called him a week later for an update. No update but all the submissions were in and I'd find out in due course. Since then however I've called three times and emailed-nothing. Zero comms! The guy is 'in a meeting and will return your call' (that old chestnut). To date I've heard nothing back. Having asked friends if they'd had similar experiences the answer was unfortunately 'yes!'...one has applied to many adverts and they didn't even reply to him to acknowledge receipt. Is this the norm? Is it even worth applying for these positions if this is the general line they take? You'd think that they'd wish to retain interest in good candidates or are they just as bad as the usual PSC cv harvesters who treat you as a number and generally dick you around? Not impressed with what I've found so far...

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Recruiters, for the most part, are clowns.
They have no industry specific knowledge and are merely chasing commissions.
I do not understand why companies use them, waste of money!
So your experience is not unusual, recruiters are the modern day equivalent of the used car salesman of old.....

sickofBS

Full Registered User
Welcome to the real and very unjust world. All corporate job vacancies have to officially show transparency and be fair therefore are advertised outside the company and every recruitment agency forward a slew of CV's; however there is inevitably someone earmarked for the job (everyone asks if they know someone who would be interested so it really is nepotism) , so the CV's are just fodder. I was with a oil multinational and hired 4 managers for Iraq, there were nearly 4,000CV's forwarded but I had already notified the guys who were going to be hired. I have also have been on the other side where I was contacted by recruiters for position in Libya; went for the interview and got excellent feedback. Like you; zero aftermath. As I knew a load of guys in Libya at the time, I found out the job had already been taken, before I made the effort to go to the interview. You are a simple commodity and the recruiters have no idea of the industry, and I don't know any recruiter that is ex forces; there may be but I don't know any. Believe it or not, a few co-workers have been contacted via LinkedIn so it may pay to get a good profile up there. One thing that really annoys me at the moment is if you have no Security Management qualifications CPP, CPO, Msc, etc. most companies will not even give you a second look; automatic delete. Luckily I will be getting out of the industry in another 5 years, but I refuse to take a piss ant course by people who know less than me. I agree with a combined academic and experienced grounding but like my namesake, I am sick of the BS where good guys get shafted for some numpty with a piece of paper they got after a 24 hour course. End of Rant

Marian

Longterm Registered User
Well it could be worse,
you could have applied,
be contacted later and told your resume is dog bollocks and that you will be invited for an interview,
then get the invite and book your flights,
then last minute find out they rescheduled,
buy the new flight tickets again,
meet the guys, make good impression,
receive info that you were accepted and they will start security check and visa procedure
send copies of documents and certificates as requested (spend small fortune on certified translation of some)
and then after two months sudden silent treatment...
so I guess they only thought they have a contract... ;)
(Happened to me and my friend earlier this year)

sickofBS

Full Registered User
Well it could be worse,
you could have applied,
be contacted later and told your resume is dog bollocks and that you will be invited for an interview,
then get the invite and book your flights,
then last minute find out they rescheduled,
buy the new flight tickets again,
meet the guys, make good impression,
receive info that you were accepted and they will start security check and visa procedure
send copies of documents and certificates as requested (spend small fortune on certified translation of some)
and then after two months sudden silent treatment...
so I guess they only thought they have a contract... ;)
(Happened to me and my friend earlier this year)
Wow, I feel your pain and hope karma intervenes is some form or other; it usually does. Its a very small world in this industry and someone always knows someone, or something about someone. I got my payback as the numpty who led me on wrote an article in IOGP as a guideline. I ripped it apart as it was bollocks and a simple academic non starter. My mantra is that you should treat everyone the way you want to be treated. Unfortunately its not the case for many. I hope things work out for you in the future.

NeckyRecce

Full Registered User
Hi Lowpro55,
As others have eluded to here, few recruiters have the experience in the industry and as such end up sifting many CVs (hundreds and thousands often) and need to thin out many in the process to get to a shortlist. Unfortunately there is rarely a set process or standard for this sifting although it is safe to assume that all go for the filter-out, rather than picking out the best or potential.
My Advice would always be the same...try to find out who the actual company that is recruiting rather than going through this recruitment companies 'process'. By finding out the company and the point of contact you can get in touch direct and put yourself on their RADAR in the process. Ask them whether they have a preferred CV format, any detail you can think to ask (desired start date, exact location etc.).
As importantly is this:
Tailor your CV to the role.
Tailor your CV to the role. (I meant to put that twice - please use this advice)
Many people pay a small fortune for a CV from some 'professional' company, but its money wasted if you don't adjust it. You just cannot get your life experience down on 2-3 pages, so read the job advert, pick out the points they're asking for and make sure that you reflect these in your CV, For example, if they are asking for someone to conduct threat and risk assessments, ensure you mention your experience in conducting and writing threat and risk assessments on your CV. If the advert says that they want someone to train local nationals, make sure you put down that tour/trip where you did such a task...you get the drift, for each job advert yo need a new CV.

Regards,

Greg.

lowpro55

Full Registered User
I'd forgotten about this topic! Written at the start of this year (which has been a very difficult year for personal reasons) and as we near the end of the year I've learned a few things:

1. Recruitment agencies are largely ineffective and useless. They are mostly full of shit as well.
2. LinkedIn is also pretty useless, it's also descending into more of a posh Facebook with professionals posting the most bizarre pointless crap. Has anyone actually on here got a job off LinkedIn?! I must have applied to over 20 jobs and haven't heard anything back.
3. The Security Industry isn't alone in this 'black hole' syndrome. It's the norm to never hear from potential employers again. HR Departments look for certain buzz words in cv's and unless they are present they go in File 13. Headhunters approach leads and then never call back. Companies have already identified a suitable candidate for a role internally but by law they have to put it to external recruitment. Anyone from the outside applying didn't stand a chance from minute 1 but of course don't know this so have to jump through hoops pointlessly.

I find it ironic that all the work I have done this year and the potential ones that are coming up for me were from my own network and not from a recruiter or social media lead. The fact that this is the same system that has worked for me (and continues to work) since I started in this rotten industry (jaded me? Never ) is not lost on me. What's also not lost on me is the amount of political empire building and back stabbing that is now rife in the industry. A consequence of a saturated work environment. Two tasks I worked on the past two years were filled with so many shenanigans it made my head spin! 'Integrity' seems to be becoming an endangered belief. Sad.

I came back from working abroad 5 years ago. I worked the hostile scene for 8 years and it burnt me out. Unless I absolutely have to I don't want to be back into rotational work in some far flung shithole. I know too many good guys still working there who are so frazzled and jaded that when (and if) they manage to claw their way out of that environment they won't know what to do. Been there done that! This may well be hindering progress as I have been offered work abroad but I really really really don't miss the call to prayers at 0500 daily!

Top Bottom