Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Reserve Defence Forces vs PDF in matter of experience

MateCh

Full Registered User
Hi All,

I work as a commercial security officer. Im doing my CP course with fire arms next month and i also applied for Reserve Defence Forces here in Ireland.

In RDF i will have 2 weeks of full military training every year plus other duties number of times per month.

Today,Permanent Defence Forces started their recruitment campaign. I always had interest in army and i believe would fit very well in there and also this is my last bell,as im 24 y/o and max age to join is 25.

The thing is im happy enough with my current job and im earning quiet bit more than freshly recruited soldier. Normally it would not matter to me,but i have to think about my family.

My plan was to complete CP course and spend number of years in RDF,gain experience and training necessary to find decent job as a CPO,while working as security.

Question is: When applying for a CPO Jobs,does it make several difference if i have 5 years PDF experience or 5 years in RDF?

Whats your opinion? Thanks in advance.

MrBlonde

Longterm Registered User
Depends on the CP role and the whim of the client.
Some roles need Military background (hostile for example) so the better your army background the better the chance of getting it.

Some corporate stuff you're protecting a guy who has strong views on what he wants, and that's an ex-Mil guy, regardless of whether that's what he needs, it's what he wants and he's paying, and typically they won't really be bothered if you're reserve or not, if you tick the box then you make it past the first round, then it's down to what else you offer and if he likes you.

Some corporate stuff doesn't need Mil background at all, I don't have one and I'm doing quite well :)
I've also known clients (often women) who positively refuse to have ex Mil looking after them - they feel (rightly or wrongly) that short hair, tats down their arms, 'military temperament' and language are not what they need in their busy polished life, so go for talented civvies and ex-plod.

Best advice is go with what you want right now, and enjoy whatever you do. You might hate CP when you try it (it's not for everyone) so spending a few years doing something you don't like in order to get a job you end up hating is just daft.

IrishRookie

Longterm Registered User
Hi All,

I work as a commercial security officer. Im doing my CP course with fire arms next month and i also applied for Reserve Defence Forces here in Ireland.

In RDF i will have 2 weeks of full military training every year plus other duties number of times per month.

Today,Permanent Defence Forces started their recruitment campaign. I always had interest in army and i believe would fit very well in there and also this is my last bell,as im 24 y/o and max age to join is 25.

The thing is im happy enough with my current job and im earning quiet bit more than freshly recruited soldier. Normally it would not matter to me,but i have to think about my family.

My plan was to complete CP course and spend number of years in RDF,gain experience and training necessary to find decent job as a CPO,while working as security.

Question is: When applying for a CPO Jobs,does it make several difference if i have 5 years PDF experience or 5 years in RDF?

Whats your opinion? Thanks in advance.
Hey MateCh,

There is a huge difference between what the Permanent Defence Forces do and their training tempo when compared to the Reserves, the difference between them would be even more so that the difference between the British full-time forces and their TA.

The RDF don't have access to the high end courses such as the Recce course, the sniper course or the Army Ranger Wing selection course.
Besides that you simply can not compare the psychological difference between 6 months full-time high-intensity basic military training where you rarely get to go home with marching around a barracks square one night per week and being shown the absolute basics to a basic standard from a fat spotty Corporal who has never done "scratch" (2 week field phase of recruit training) and has never been overseas on any missions.

The RDF is grand if your goal is to have a bit of fun whilst getting to wear a uniform and firing a rifle once or twice per year but you will not come out of it with any hard or useful military skills, it's just not comparable to the PDF full-time professional training in any way regardless of the shite talk you'll hear from them.

Before joining the Army (PDF) consider this, the conditions in the PDF are pretty shit, they are the lowest paid public sector workers and you will be worked into the ground, expect to do at least 2x 24 hour barrack guards per week without a wink of sleep and all for an extra €10 in your pocket, expect to be told last minute on a Friday that you're going down to the arsehole of nowhere on exercises regularly for a week or more at a time living on the ground in all weathers, get rid of any romantic notions you may have as the novelty of wearing the uniform evaporates when you have to dig a trench and sleep in it for 3 days in the middle of winter playing soldiers then after all of that fun you have to do a 10k route march with over 60 pounds of weight in your backpack not including weapons and ammo and the radio if you're unlucky and that's a regular occurance....then there's the cliques and political bullshit that you'll have to traverse for a few years as you'll be the lowest rung on a very shitty ladder and we all know what direction shit roles!

That said if you can last for at least 3 years, and maybe after a trip overseas things become a little more palatable, but only a little. Courses will start to open up to you but mostly just career courses related to your trade, infantry, artillery, cav, signals etc. you'd have to be infantry to do the recce course which is a great but very hard course. You can go down the sniper route from any unit in the Army and if you're feeling particularly enthusiastic there's always the opportunity to try out for the Ranger wing which is the Irish army's special forces unit, they do black and green ops and they are trained in CP roles too.

The choice is yours but go into it with your eyes fully open, it's a common saying that the military is not for everyone and that is very true, as I said the novelty wears off fast when your working your bollox off and can barely pay your rent but I'm glad I did a stint in the PDF, it was a great experience that could never be matched by any civilian job or the RDF.

Best of luck to you whatever you choose.

sekura

Full Registered User
im 24 y/o and max age to join is 25.
In my youth I had great aspiration to join the CIS Corps, potentially as an officer, maybe try and get into G2/J2. I still like the idea currently, but their stupid age limits mean I can't. I guess there's always the FCA, but didn't they stop recruiting a good few years ago? All my medic cousins became logisitics engineers with their barracks on the otherside of the country in the big shuffle that resulted in half of the enlistees leaving.

I heard many years ago that they apparently recruit officers from enlistees who they deem capable in the RDF. Maybe under the old system this was the case but it doesn't seem very likely nowadays, but you honestly never know.

Top Bottom