Resettlement courses

scc1984

Full Registered User
Hi guy's and girls.
My leaving date from the Forces is fast aproching and i have been told that i have £1000 ELC. My question is woould it be worth spending that money on a a course on Terrorism studies or could i put the money to better use donig another course. The runs for 16weeks and costs £1750. Any advise would be welcome. I am waiting to start my CP course in Jan with Ronin SA.

It really does depend on what you want to do in CP and where you want to work.

The Terrorism Studies course is a good academic course but will not teach you how to do the job or give you any skill sets.

Have a look around the forum and find out about the various roles, Marsec HECPO corporate etc, and see what grabs your interest. There will be plenty of experienced bodies here to give advice and dits on each secton of the job.

Agree with TAC Medic - practical knowledge and skills will be what you will need - also surprised the army is letting you do the Ronin course - are you using your resettlement grant and ELC for that?

Dont forget you should be able to combine your £534 resettlement grant with your ELC. Dont forget you can use SLC (hundred and odd) for other stuff but not in combination with ELC and resettlement grant.
:confused:

Last edited:
And unless its changed yu actually have 3 ELCs. So if you dont do the terrorism course this year theres always next year if it still appeals to you.

I believe youe ELCs are valid for 10 years after you leave the forces so dont rush into anything. I left in 2005 and am now using my second ELC claim for International Ship and Port Security, it has taken me a long time to pick this course! I was also advised to look at going straight for a degree if I wanted academic support for my experience. Have a good look around, get practical experience, identify your goal, then decide on your route. Good luck!

Thanks again for all your replies, yes im using my ELC and i have been told i can use the other two ELC any time in the next ten years.

If the course has terrorism in the title I suggest you ignore it. The courses which do cover this subject come under the Study of Radicalisation and Contemporary Political Violence. These are very in depth and you need a good knowledge of history, religion and politics. To some extent these also cover military means, covert capabilities and policing.

I too am almost coming upto tx date. I have found it hard to find out exactly what im entitled to. From what i have been told (RM) is as follows.
£534 resettlement combined with 20,25 or 30 GRT days. (not counting weekends)
ELC either £1000 or £2000 available upto 3 years after leaving. Usage of 1 per financial year.
5 warrants
SLC £175
All adds up.

Dont forget that the army will now fund people through their first degree if they are registered under the ELC scheme. When i say funding i mean for your course fees etc. There is a DIN out which lays down all the criteria etc - maybe something to think about if you want to do a degree in that field etc or any degree for that matter.
The info above about your other entitlements is bang on.

So the army will pay all your tuition fees for your first degree on top of your 3 ELC claims?

Even if you've been out for a while....?

Thats right but you must have been registered for ELC though. Its the Government's commitment to fund free from tuition fees a first, further or higher education qualification. All the information is contained within 2009DIN07-042 (A DIN is a defince Information notice).

Scc,

Dont waste your money on the TSC, that is unless you are looking at a project or Ops managers position if you skill match.

If you take a look it does give you a detailed list of whom has undertaken the course at St Andrews Uni and to be honest is one of though's things that the company pays for if you require it, saying that its you money to spend and everyone with have a different idea on how you should spend it, look at your exsisting skill's and experience and make a judgement based on that information. that is the best advice I could give.

H20

hi all,

couldnt help but notice that this is advice im dying for.

im arty, 5 years, discharge may, have elc (3 claims at 1k each) also SLC, so someone mentoned you can combine slc with one elc claim???

and who else thinks its a con that elc can only be used once every financial year, and when you use the claim after leaving service its actually only 800 per claim.
all the 'quality' courses cost around 2 to 3k plus you need 20% upfront.

anyhow, it is what it is, we have to crack on as the saying goes!

Back