SAS (R) or SBS (R)

robsmith22

Full Registered User
Hi everyone, my aim for the future is to either be involved within counter terrorism and or Close Protection, security is my passion, and i want too exceed as much as i can, i have followed an SAS fitness book, and believe i am fit and strong, i have been reading about both SAS Reserves and SBS Reserves for both units i would have to train with an army TA or marine RMR unit before moving to SAS/SBS R, passing selection for either unit would be a fantastic achievment, and enhance my skills, but which one do you think would be better suited for my goals? Im leaning towards SAS R just because they are land based, but i am unsure how much SBS does on land. Any advice from former/current serving SAS/SBS Reserves would be greatly aprreciated!
Thank You

Phecta

Longterm Registered User
Firstly i suggest you see if you can pass basic training in the TA, join the TA then if you are suitable (its not what you want its what the unit wants) then when the time is right give it a go.

robsmith22

Full Registered User
I have actually been in contact with the recruitment office for the SBS R, explained i have no previous military experiance, and they said i can still apply for SBS R as long as i join a support RMR unit during selection, but when i went into specifics about what i aim to get out of this, i didnt get any answered questions, I am just trying to find out as much as i can without wasting peoples time, so all the advice from guys with experiance in either SAS R or SBS R it great. Thanks again

dodger

Super Moderator
If you think your fit enough!! And confident why not join the regular army and go for the real thing?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

saward

Longterm Registered User
Apparently: Applicants wishing to join SBS(R) should submit a request via their unit training officers. The applicant must be serving member of the reserve forces , on the trained strength and over 19 but under 32 on completion of UKSF(R) selection. A rank must have served 12 months on the trained strength of the reserve forces before attending selection. [Unlike SAS(R)]

I think you will find Poole will have the final say with regards to what you may have been told.
You will not get near selection until you pass the Briefing Course.

Saward

Greenboy69

Longterm Registered User
Do you like soldiering? Do you like being cold, wet, hungry and tired and then having to keep going for several more days of the same if not worse?

You need to answer these questions before you go any further, take the advice above and do some soldiering first and stop dreaming for a while.

2942matt

Full Registered User
I think the advice from dannywayoflife is best bet 4 para or RMR, no one jumps from civvy st to regular SF so it would be unwise to try it as a reserve, it's possible you may have slightly overlooked the standard required for P Company and Commando Course, the standard is incredibly high, there are many unfortunate who don't make the grade for whatever reason, for me personally you'd need to be in top 1% of either course to entertain Selection. If reserve SF is your goal make calculated route to it and give it a serious go treat it with the respect it deserves and not as a stepping stone to something else, whatever route you choose though good luck with it.

avan

Full Registered User
Volunteers for SAS(R)
SAS(R) accept male volunteers who have no previous military service aged 18 to 32 or male volunteers who have had previous military service with any part of the Regular or Reserve Armed Forces (RN, RM, Army, and RAF) up to the age of 34. Volunteers must be able to commit to considerable training demands and willing to deploy overseas.

Special Air Service (Reserve) - British Army Website

ENJ1986

Longterm Registered User
With the attitude of " I want to get this out of you" isn't going to work and you won't make it past the initial interview.

If you can run 100 miles at 5 minute mile pace then congrats but still doesn't mean you will get in.

But crack on if you think you have the minerals fella, the "fan dance" will make you blubber like a gay and then you realise final ex is 10 times harder.

Get down Breacon for some weekends, get your " Breacon Legs" and get a pro to show you the tricks of the trade of orienteering at night etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:

dodger

Super Moderator
Your 22 you think your fit enough because you read a book? how do you know? have you run over the hills with a bergan day after day against the clock? Slowly for stabs hahaha... but still day after day distances!
Probably another dreamer that will never try anything, why do you not join the regular forces like the para's or RM and see if you can get through either of those!!

Last edited:

robsmith22

Full Registered User
the main reason why im thinking of TA/Reserves is i really enjoy the security work im doing (mainly Doors and events) and i wish to continue learning and gaining experience in the security industry but also enhance my skills and knowledge within TA/Reserves, so combining the two for me is perfect, as if i were to join full time, that would put an end to my Civillian Security Work for the time spent in the military,

boropete

Longterm Registered User
reserve sf is virtually full time the amount of weekends and training youve got to put in rob.get yourself a career,dabble the regulars for a bit,see if you like the wet,cold and constant running,then see if its your bag.

D

Deleted member 33

reserve sf is virtually full time the amount of weekends and training youve got to put in rob.get yourself a career,dabble the regulars for a bit,see if you like the wet,cold and constant running,then see if its your bag.

Correct.

I went to 21 for interview at age of 42. Knowing of my age being 10 years over the usual maximum they said they would allow me to do it due to previous life in 3 Para and other courses I had done. They said as long as my legs could carry me through they'd have me.

I just didn't do it due to them also quite clearly stating that tours can be up to 18 months away.

Sack that. I'm living too much of a good life to give it up for what I've pretty much done before in other brackets.

Rich H

MrBlonde

Longterm Registered User
What makes you think being trained to be one of the best killers on the planet is a requirement to excel in private security?

If you want to be a great soldier then take a suitable route and if you're good enough (and just being fit is only a tiny part of what it takes) then SF might be for you.

If you are interested in Counter Terrorism, then look at an Intel career, MI5 etc and if you want to be great in the private sector then persue that career route - plenty of advice on here about courses, follow on training, security degree etc

All I'm seeing from your previous posts is someone who watched too much TV, thinks they can walk into SF then use it as a springboard to a fabulous career in the private sector - it doesn't work like that