SAS (R) or SBS (R)

saward

Longterm Registered User
I have respect for anyone who has tried for selection and failed whilst accepting that in the eyes of the Training Team they did not make the grade.

Respect also for those who having failed due to injury or not being up to standard, pick themselves up and come back again for another attempt. This time perhaps also being more prepared.

I have no time for those who blame everyone else and anything else for their failure and cannot accept that their failure lies within themselves.

Saward

dodger

Super Moderator
Plenty of those mate, it's not for everyone. If you don't try you will never know, nothing ventured nothing gained......

Phecta

Longterm Registered User
I have respect for anyone who has tried for selection and failed whilst accepting that in the eyes of the Training Team they did not make the grade.

Respect also for those who having failed due to injury or not being up to standard, pick themselves up and come back again for another attempt. This time perhaps also being more prepared.

I have no time for those who blame everyone else and anything else for their failure and cannot accept that their failure lies within themselves.

Saward

But if only it was not in those small hills in Wales, you know those ones that go up stop and go up again and stop but when you get there go up again and stop and then forget the horizontal rain, the rain occasionally blows up hill lol

The experience of the outdoors nothing like it.

For us welsh its our back garden lol nothing worse than being on your chin straps and a 60yr old fell runner leaves you in the distance lol so demoralising lol

Carl Dowd

Hi everyone, my aim for the future is to either be involved within counter terrorism and or Close Protection, security is my passion, and i want too exceed as much as i can, i have followed an SAS fitness book, and believe i am fit and strong, i have been reading about both SAS Reserves and SBS Reserves for both units i would have to train with an army TA or marine RMR unit before moving to SAS/SBS R, passing selection for either unit would be a fantastic achievment, and enhance my skills, but which one do you think would be better suited for my goals? Im leaning towards SAS R just because they are land based, but i am unsure how much SBS does on land. Any advice from former/current serving SAS/SBS Reserves would be greatly aprreciated!
Thank You

If I may Rob I would like to give you 3 words of advice... a little like Tony Blair when he came to power in 1997..?

Navigation..! Navigation..! Navigation..!

I needn't say more...

CD

PS "It is better to try and fail, than to fail to try at all"...

Carl Dowd

Combat Fitness Test; 8 miles over the gentle Purbecks, full fighting order and weapon, 1hr 40min. Just doing it in that time is not good enough. Only the fastest then get to start the 'selection' for selection.
That alone many will fail.
You can be the fittest man in your unit, but that does not mean you will pass.
I see everyone forgets the mental outlook of those who wish to pass for UKSF.

Saward

What is the above for Saward..? at the age of 50 I completed the ABMP Commando Speed March [Spean Bridge to Achnacarry] in 78 minutes, carrying 37lbs...

RTD Group

That's pretty reasonable isn't it..?

CD

saward

Longterm Registered User
Hello Carl,

Commando Fitness Test. 8 miles in 1hr 40 min carrying 45lbs.
This is the basic that any Commando is expected to do.
Done at the start of the Briefing Course at Poole. Although you will do it within the time only the front runners will be classed as a pass. Others will be classed as a fail and will go no further on the Briefing Course. Yet can be invited back to try for the next one. You need to pass the Briefing Course to even be considered for Selection.

Commando Speed March. 7 miles in 1 hr carrying 36lbs.

Your time is reasonable regarding your age. Would suggest that the zimmer frame needs a service, wheels/oil!!! :)

Rob, would take note of the 'navigation'!
"unsure how much SBS does on land"
Check the Tide Tables for the next High Water at Kabul.

Saward

dodger

Super Moderator
Rob, would take note of the 'navigation'!
"unsure how much SBS does on land"
Check the Tide Tables for the next High Water at Kabul.

Saward

The same hills as Hereford, well the regulars do! I believe you have to pass a canoe test as well hahahaha and a swim!

saward

Longterm Registered User
Those looking to join the SBS will do the Briefing Course at Poole for obvious reasons.

Then to sunny Wales for the start of the joint UKSF selection on completion of this those going SAS are badged.

Those going for the SBS have a few more months to go before getting badged for the SBS. That covers the above and underwater aspects.Not forgetting a para course.

Saward

D

Deleted member 33

Want to do an SF course that will actually be useful in the outside world?

SRR.

'Nuff said :)

Rich H

saward

Longterm Registered User
Want to do an SF course that will actually be useful in the outside world?

SRR.

'Nuff said :)

Rich H

No doubt those who have done an SF course and served as a 'badged' member will be better qualified to comment.

Saward

Shawzie85

Longterm Registered User
He would need to be a regular before even considering the SRR route, and who is to say that he was to pass the aptitude testing. In my opinion posting on an open forum about wanting to join reserve UKSF was the first fail, and this is before your wet and cold and been falling down and rolling about a number of times in the beautiful welsh hills. Please don’t let me put anyone off trying things they have a passion for, but this is not to be taken with a pinch of salt. Further to previous comments on this subject, as a reserve in the UKSF it’s basically a full time occupation.

Carl Dowd

Quote: "Your time is reasonable regarding your age. Would suggest that the zimmer frame needs a service, wheels/oil!!! :)

I'll get onto it mate, thought about attaching a motor, a sail or my parapente canopy..?

Quote: "and this is before your wet and cold and been falling down and rolling about a number of times in the beautiful welsh hills".

Ha ha! now this seems like a man who may have some experience of being trapped by the old 'A' or 'H' frame bergan running downhill to meet those timings only to be pinned to the floor because of the weigth and one being completely nackered..!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :( :( :( :(

matthews4037

Some interesting comments...................
I like the Tabbing V Yomping comments
Paras will argue the Tabbing and Bootnecks will argue the Yomping
P Coy or Commando trg
Being an Ex Bootie there are merits in both, and despite my biased opinion i hate to say it but theres not alot in it
As someone correctly stated whatever TA SF one would want to embark on, You are expected to train EVERY weekend, on top of any other job you may have.
I would say that going from a SIA Doorstaff postion to one of these SF routes, whichever way you chose to do it is quite simply "Pie in the Sky" and will destroy you.
Tabbing/Yomping with a ton of weight on yer back without stopping and reading a map at the same time, in god awful weather is the only way to prep yerself, and you would have to do this alot, and i mean alot.
For example the Commando test week is at the end of over 30 weeks, and even then really really good recruits fail
Hope you all agree
Happy New Year

Shawzie85

Longterm Registered User
You may be correct Carl, I may of felt the pain the welsh hills provide and the long ingrained memories that never leave you. The best quote on this thread is ''nothing worse than being on your chin straps and a 60yr old fell runner leaves you in the distance lol so demoralising lol'' I bet there is a few members on here can relate to it. Oh even more so when you’re breathless and your lungs are about to exploded and you see an old bloke stopping for a breather and a fag on his daily run, then he tears past you 20 minutes later and leaves you to question what you’re doing wet and cold hahaha.

Quote: "and this is before your wet and cold and been falling down and rolling about a number of times in the beautiful welsh hills".

Ha ha! now this seems like a man who may have some experience of being trapped by the old 'A' or 'H' frame bergan running downhill to meet those timings only to be pinned to the floor because of the weigth and one being completely nackered..!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :( :( :( :([/QUOTE]

gareth

Longterm Registered User
Mate, as someone has already said- join the regulars and see if it's your cup of tea first.
SF have a different mental state to the regular army and they're really not for everyone.
Being a regular squaddie or bootie might be just up your street.
The 21 and 23 guys that I know are much more normal than 22 and if you want to do tier 1 you have to do regular selection anyway. I presume it's the same for the booties.