SAS (R) or SBS (R)

Carl Dowd

Quote: "The 21 and 23 guys that I know are much more normal than 22 and if you want to do tier 1 you have to do regular selection anyway. I presume it's the same for the booties".

Excellent, absolutely pissing myself laughing, you'll go down well at SW1X 0EZ ha ha ha ha :) :) :)

I seem to remember 'A' squadron of the Artist Rifles being far from normal, I suspect they always had their Stock, Shares and portfolios' on their minds to be anything else :) :) :)

CD

jammyk87

Full Registered User
One word...Civvie. SBS(R) is not like SAS(R), SBS(R's) are regulars and support the badged lads when needed. You can't join SBS(R) from civvie street.

Why be a weekend warrior?? You will get so much more experience being a regular.

PADDYOS

Longterm Registered User
There is a plaque on the wall in the mess that says " death is natures way of saying that you have failed selection" that's how close you will come!!!Paddy

L4Pegasus

Rob,

If you're interested in joining SASR then it's advised that you first complete and pass P-Company. But be warned as mentioned above, P-Company is no walk in the park physically or mentally - you will need to be on top form in all areas. If you do pass, we done that's an achievement in itself, now it would be a bonus for you to gain experience with 4-Para and the forces in general.

After this, if you feel (and your company feels) that you would be an asset to the Special Forces, then you can apply for selection.

Don't waste their time.

Carl Dowd

Rob,

If you're interested in joining SASR then it's advised that you first complete and pass P-Company. But be warned as mentioned above, P-Company is no walk in the park physically or mentally - you will need to be on top form in all areas. If you do pass, we done that's an achievement in itself, now it would be a bonus for you to gain experience with 4-Para and the forces in general.

After this, if you feel (and your company feels) that you would be an asset to the Special Forces, then you can apply for selection.

Don't waste their time.

Rob, I respect your comments here and recognise of course where you are coming from... However, if I may? I would suggest that 'P' Company and Selection are completely different forms of 'Testing' one's physical ability, in fact I would go as far as to say... one has nothing to do with the other. Albeit, there is no better test process that prepares one for 'Military Parachuting' than 'P' Company that's for sure. Just an observation if I may!

CD

ENJ1986

Longterm Registered User
Rob, I respect your comments here and recognise of course where you are coming from... However, if I may? I would suggest that 'P' Company and Selection are completely different forms of 'Testing' one's physical ability, in fact I would go as far as to say... one has nothing to do with the other. Albeit, there is no better test process that prepares one for 'Military Parachuting' than 'P' Company that's for sure. Just an observation if I may!

CD

True, my brother has done both and said they are very different.

But any course to smash out phys is a course worth doing.

GMC

Full Registered User

CD

Main difference being, that nice helpful DS who screams you back into an upright position when all you want to do is disappear up your own bawbag will not be there to encourage you to continue.
Motivation on selection is down to no one other than yourself. Normally you won't receive a single word of encouragement or a single criticism of your performance (until you are front of desk being informed that on this occasion you have failed to meet the required standard and wether you will be invited back to retry at a later date..)
This is what makes selection one of the hardest course's and loneliest places in the world. One of the biggest causes of the incredible attrition rate of candidates is a condition known by the Training Wing Staff as "SELF DS'ing" this is where perfectly good candidates who may actually be excelling begin to doubt their own performance is adequate due to the distinct absence of feedback be it critique or encouragement.
Many candidates actually removed themselves from the selection process due to an unjustified sense of inadequacy from this absence of feedback. Hence the phrase.."SELF DS'ing".
Remember SF Selection is not just a physical test it is also a measurement of the individuals ability to cope without those things like encouragement and indeed criticism which are a expected everyday part of life in the "Green Army".
Candidates are expected to display great depths of mental strength and fortitude whilst being beyond physical exhaustion. This is what keeps the exceptional individual thinking and operating in times of extreme adversity.
Mental Strength, self discipline, appropriate self confidence in ones abilities along with exceptional physical conditioning are what will successfully get you through the selection process, that and a sprinkling of good luck and maybe a mate on the DS staff doesn't go amiss!