Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

security badge armband

LakeEffectKid

Full Registered User
Here's some essentials you'll need on a deployment;
•Torch -ALWAYS use your own, not what's provided, as they're normally useless
•Small UV Light (For checking ID's)
•Name, address, postcode, telephone number of the venue written down on paper in your pocket. ESSENTIAL for if the smelly brown stuff hits the fan majorly and you're asked to call in the boys with the blue lights to help out. Having the information at your fingertips = helpful!
•Local information; to a degree, where nearby bus stops are, what time they run till/night buses/how frequently, if there's a cab office around the corner, etc. You don't have to remember it all; have it written down if needed! Taxi cabs love handing out their cards, so the venue probably has a few. Stick some in your pocket, and when people invariably ask you for the information, you can give the card to them. Gives a good impression!
•A pack of tissues (in case someone spits at you, throws a drink in your eyes, to mop up your blood or something similar. Also incase you have the flu. Also good to have one to offer fellow colleagues if they need one!
•A pen & pocket notebook to record anything. You can order belt pouches for them off the web (A5 or smaller)
•Write the date 18 years earlier on the back of your hand. For example; today is 21/06/2014. Write on the back of your hand 21/06/1996. This means anyone with ID dated this or later is 18. Very useful if you have a brain fart and forget the date
•Buy a £5 brick phone from any phone shop (normally comes with £10 PAYG credit. Keep this on you and leave your proper phone in your bag in the office. Means that if anything happens, your nice, expensive phone won't get damaged (which your company won't cover and reimburse you for). In addition, a massive pet peeve of mine is the DS's out there who spend most of their night eyes glued to their phones on Facebook or whatever, instead of watching out. You're paid to monitor the crowd, not your newsfeed! When on the door, you don't NEED to have a phone. I've worked with a £5 brick phone for emergency use only with no problems. You don't need to call or text anyone during a shift. The only numbers I have on my phone are my home, girlfriend, company number, venue number, colleagues and a very good taxi firm. You only need to use a phone at work in case of an emergency! Not tweeting in the last 10 minutes or taking a selfie doesn't count!

Keep your head on your shoulders, and stay focused. If someone gets up in your face, chatting shit about your mum being a hooker or whatever, let them. Don't retaliate, don't provoke, don't make any comebacks. Just keep it civil, something like "That's nice, I did not know that, thank you for informing me". Throws them off completely!

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Bal, my comment about the others being 'horrible bastards' was clearly tongue in cheek, they are in fact a great bunch (cheques in the post lads!?),but I meant what I said about Bubbas comment, he gives good advice, as do I, and many, many others, when presented with credible and intelligent questions.
You may have a university education, but that's not much use if you can't handle basic admin.
You'll get there, but I fear there are certain lessons you will learn the hard way, so best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Bal93

Full Registered User
lhj1 its not a retarded question as I wont have the money to purchase one until monday. I start on tuesday now you could see why I asked. So don't assume in future, if you'd have asked then I'd have kindly told you.

Bal93

Full Registered User
Tmac, what I can see is a lot of people assume on the forum. Instead of asking and taking the piss. I'm not some dummy and only asked a simple question of any shops that sold armbands. The reason why I thought I could ask this question is due to the help and advice I've been given on my other threads by people such as bubba, ivan and a few others. I know education doesn't count for everything you have to be savvy and have good life skills in order to be a success in this business. I'm just trying to learn my way in the business and appreciate good advice when given, but will not stand for being taken the piss out of.

Ivan67

Longterm Registered User
Tmac, what I can see is a lot of people assume on the forum. Instead of asking and taking the piss. I'm not some dummy and only asked a simple question of any shops that sold armbands. The reason why I thought I could ask this question is due to the help and advice I've been given on my other threads by people such as bubba, ivan and a few others. I know education doesn't count for everything you have to be savvy and have good life skills in order to be a success in this business. I'm just trying to learn my way in the business and appreciate good advice when given, but will not stand for being taken the piss out of.

Just going to put this out there, keep in mind I am not trying to anger or offend anyone this may or may not include.

CPW is used for many things, clearly open access networking is the main thing. Folks come here seeking open advice just as you have, some open source, some create threads and some do both.

The forum is not limted to just that though, many people like my self come here to surf through the threads for a good laugh. At times you will see someone come on and ask what they consider a very serious question, but then you have people like me that would surely have fun with someone asking about doing some part CP work for example. Thats all that happened here, no one means you any harm mate, and such threads will be answered with something sort of funny, then it will turn into just silly, maybe after that just porr taste (I am gulty) but somehwere someone on this site may realize they where once in that spot and they decide to offer some helpful information like Bubba did. If his information helped then you just got lucky.

But the fun rarely ever stops there unless a MOD makes us, generally it will go on and you will be pelted for your reaction.

Its like throwing a chicken in a moving police car cruising through the pedestrian zone, it seems like a great idea, it will certainly get some laughs from people who see it and his boss, the cop gets upset and tries a foot chase, maybe he cuts his losses and goes back to his car or maybe he catches the person. No matter the out-come it was still funny, there was still a victim but it was just harmless fun because that police man has a brake pedal not two inches from his fuel pedal. He could have stopped it or taken it further.

Perhaps the chicken in a cop cruiser is not a widely practice event for lazy cops in pedestrian zones through the UK but I am sure you see my point. If not get a chicken (make sure it is live as a deep fried one will only make a lazy cop stop and eat like a fat five year old trying to sneak a booger in his first day of school), find that lazy cop cruising the walk only zone, run up to his car and chuck it through the window. Make sure the window is open at too. Step back and watch for a few seconds. wait for him to exit the car and push the door closed (repeat enough times for him to exit the other side of the car) and then run like hell.

Do your best to find one that does not have a partner in the car with him. Do not do it to women because they will smash the fuel pedal and surely kill someone before taking out a store front. Pick a fat shit cop right after dinner or some prissy looking girly man cop, they always provide the best reactions and are easy to get away from.

Welcome to CPW, I hope this one little event did not leave a bad taste with you. Stick around, network, find work here, contribute, have fun and f*ck with people.

Kind Regards

Visioneer

Super Moderator
But the fun rarely ever stops there unless a MOD makes us,

Of course, us mods are the very essence of respectability, temperate language, modest behaviour....here to instill law and order amongst the finest that worlds security industry has to offer.

Yeah, right.

V :)

danny56o

Longterm Registered User
lhj1 its not a retarded question as I wont have the money to purchase one until monday. I start on tuesday now you could see why I asked. So don't assume in future, if you'd have asked then I'd have kindly told you.
so you dont have 3 quid untill monday thats fair enough

danny56o

Longterm Registered User
so you dont have 3 quid untill monday thats fair enough
and if you ask a question there will always be piss take replies. is it a door job or just a security job as most firms that do static guarding dont like the armbands anyway

LakeEffectKid

Full Registered User
Bal93, Danny56o has just raised a very valid point for you to consider. When you speak with your employer, you will normally ask questions about the deployment details as standard, such as what the uniform is. One key thing to always ask is do they want you to display your license OVERTLY or COVERTLY? Overtly is standard for door work, with the high viz armband, so everybody can instantly tell you're security. If it is security guard/static/ESPECIALLY RETAIL work, covert is more likely, and will be your best friend. For this, stick with the lanyard the SIA/your employers give. I've seen plenty of door security use lanyards, and plenty of static/retail security use armbands, it just seems a bit weird and not what you'd expect.

Just have a chat with your employer and see what they want.

Also, another point to bear in mind about the armbands; ask your employer before you buy if colour matters. This sounds stupid, but there is a point here. You can buy armbands in a range of colours, and some security firms are picky about what colour you wear, wanting you to all be uniform in wearing the same colour. I know some companies insist on wearing colours that match their logo.

Another company I worked for asked all door staff to wear black armbands. The only exceptions to this were first aiders, who had to wear green, and the head doorman, who had to wear red. In theory, this is a brilliant idea, as it means you know at a glance who to call for medical assistance.

Again, check with your employer!

OMG! All this over a licence holder...PMSL I've just googled security licence holder and have been spoilt for choice. I've just realised I don't need one but at least i know where to go. Has anyone else heard of or used google before?

LakeEffectKid

Full Registered User
OMG! All this over a licence holder...PMSL I've just googled security licence holder and have been spoilt for choice. I've just realised I don't need one but at least i know where to go. Has anyone else heard of or used google before?
CMG, perhaps you should have read the OP a little better...

I was wondering if anyone knows and shops that I could buy this from ASAP? I know amazon sell them but wont be there in time. Any advice would be greatly received
Despite the fact that many sites on the Internet offer next-day or the-day-after-that delivery options, this is clearly insufficient for Bal93, who absolutely needs one NOW, before it is too late!

I have cleary misunderstood the gravity of this matter and regret any childish remarks that I have made and therefore distracted Bal93 in his hunt for a licence armband. I'd love to help more but I am off on holiday soon - gonna book the whole thing when I get there including flights.

Not going on holiday now as I've been informed that you have to do a lot of the bookings etc. before you go. Rememebr the 5Ps people lol. Just googled security licence holder - first hit was the patrol store that offer next day delivery. MUG!

LJH1

Longterm Registered User
Not going on holiday now as I've been informed that you have to do a lot of the bookings etc. before you go. Rememebr the 5Ps people lol. Just googled security licence holder - first hit was the patrol store that offer next day delivery. MUG!
Check the first comment on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

The first was on the Friday 20th. If it was ordered that day it would have been delivered on Saturday 21st. If not then today, Monday 23rd if next-day delivery is not a Saturday. Is this a test? Have I passed? If I win a calendar then you can have it lol.

I'm with danny56o on this one - what has happened? We need to know, yet again events in the Middle East have overshadowed the turmoil that is occurring within our borders.

Visioneer

Super Moderator
I have an emergency supply of cable ties, BluTack and gaffer tape ready to deploy for the next emergency.

V

Can I suggest then that stores be utilised as stores - as in stored within the military sense. All deployed units will have to remain self-sufficient until supply chains are established. Local purchase is authorised (within reason) - think COIN - get the locals involved.

Sorry have I just mixed to messages here - I'm sure one for my guys in Kirkuk lol

Visioneer

Super Moderator
All deployed units will have to remain self-sufficient until supply chains are established.

You've obviously missed the edict from HR Dept. In the interests of Staff Welfare, no units may be deployed further than a 2 minute walk from Tesco or Costa Coffee.

V

Top Bottom