Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Security Consultancy Qualifications

SPOMAN

Longterm Registered User
Security Risk Management short courses

Guys,
Bucks New Uni has some great short courses that can be found at the link below. The two relevant courses are Open Site Security, which covers the following:
Course content
The programme will include theoretical study of a range of subjects, including:
· why these sites are at risk
· access control
· buildings security
· perimeters
· detection and alarms
· information and IT security
· theft and fraud
· security awareness
· CCTV systems
· risk assessment
· security survey.

And also Security Project Planning:

Course content
The programme will include:
· principles of asset protection and loss prevention
· what is to be protected
· security technologies
· crime prevention through environmental design (CPTED)
· project management for security
· security survey
· planning and design
· costings and procurement
· installation management
· training and testing
· maintenance, management, monitoring and renewal.

Both courses run for 18 weeks distance learning and are accredited to Level 4 by the University. They are also in talks with the Security Institute to earn the courses CPD credits. The course also requires a couple of workshop days where you undertake practical surveys etc. The price is very reasonable at £250 per course, which includes course materials, online support etc.

Take a look at see what you think. The courses run when you want them to. Very flexible.

http://www.bucks.ac.uk/courses/short_courses.aspx

archie

Longterm Registered User
Also, for next year Bucks will launch a BA in Security Consultancy.

This will include the PRINCE2 qualification (if you have it already it will earn credits towards the course)

Also, if you have the Anubis CSC that will also earn course credits.

Other subjects:

The Security Industry
Law and regulation
Contingency planning
Physical, Info and Personnel Security
Business Finance
Management and organisations

The aim is to provide a course of high quality so that graduates will be able to confidently consult and deal with corporate and business clients on their terms, using their language.

It is in the construction and validation stage now but if you would like to know more please post or pm and I will give more details.

SPOMAN

Longterm Registered User
archie,

I know about the BA and once its off the ground I may seriously consider it. I am about to sign up to 2 of their short courses. The security project planning and contingency management to run concurrently. Both are at Level 4 and carry 30 academic points each. 2 good areas to concentrate on for CPD.
By the way, the short course prices have increased as they were not finacially viable. They are £500 per course now but still a bargain for 18 week DL courses with residential training included.

PaulSmith

Longterm Registered User
archie,

I know about the BA and once its off the ground I may seriously consider it. I am about to sign up to 2 of their short courses. The security project planning and contingency management to run concurrently. Both are at Level 4 and carry 30 academic points each. 2 good areas to concentrate on for CPD.
By the way, the short course prices have increased as they were not finacially viable. They are £500 per course now but still a bargain for 18 week DL courses with residential training included.
I would have thought project planning and contingency management would have been course content for the CSC?

Are the short courses residential or distance?

Cheers mate

archie

Longterm Registered User
The BA will cover these subjects in considerable depth. The short courses are DL with a site visit to conduct surveys and produce 3000-word reports.

SPOMAN

Longterm Registered User
The CSC course does cover Project Management and Contingency planning but only enough to give you an underpinning knowledge confirmed through assignment work. I want to go a little deeper especially as there are many opportunities for project management specific to security and all enterprises require contingency plans.

Armand.3

Full Registered User
Hi,

I am not quite sure St Andrew's Certificate on Terrorism Studies really fits the Consultancy profile. This being said their publications found on the web are top quality and very pleasant to read, and contain a wealth of knowledge. Good stuff for a lecturer on security studies...for a consultant I am not convinced.
Cheers
A

DarkHorse

Longterm Registered User
Good Evening Armand.3,

Certificate in Terrorism studies will definitely help an individual who possess other consultancy qualifications i.e. syi diploma, CSC or other uni degrees.

I believe its an important part of today's security consultants role which will allow them to prevent and protect the assignment. Terrorism will grow unfortunately as the years will past (looking at history).

All the best

DH

archie

Longterm Registered User
You'll like the Bucks New Uni Cert in Terrorism studies - in development now and due for launch in 2011.

rupert

Longterm Registered User
I'd be interested to hear what the course content is for the Buck Cert in Terrorism Studies, compared with the outdated Informa / St Andrews course.

With the increasing concerns over single issue groups operating globaly against a variety of organisations (think Animal Rights Militia, Anti-Capitalist Movement and the Earth Liberation Front) I am amazed at the lack of research and study in this area.

Perhaps a "Certificate" in Extremist Studies, to combine terrorism and SIG's...?

rupert

Longterm Registered User
You think the St Andrews course in outdated?
Sorry I didn't quite qualify what I meant; I think I've said as much here in the past, but my belief based on what feedback I have had from atendees, is that it is maybe "not current", taking into account the wide range of extremis groups and theory.

As ever I'm happy to hear other views and experiences.

SPOMAN

Longterm Registered User
You may be right Rupert. A mate of mine recently completed the course and he wrote an essay on the Tamil Tigers, long after they were defeated and sent packing! Concentrate on the threats from the modern terrorist adversary. Plus the assignments looked quite noddy. If I want to study terrorism I want to know about how terrorist's select targets (KSM model), hostile recon, etc etc, in fact just buy Malcomb Nance's book 'terrorist recognition handbook', better than the course!

archie

Longterm Registered User
The Bucks Cert in Terrorism Studies will be at level 7 PostGrad but will not preclude entry by those without first degrees. I feel that there is a lot out there about hostile recon and target selection and so on - but that will still be an element. Its being researched and written now but in outline:

History of Terrorism - how it developed (not going back to ancient times as I saw in a recent NACTSO presentation) but the growth of 20th century activity into what we face now and the evolution from the concept of 'men with guns and bombs' to what we face now.

Emerging risks. Radicalisation (not just AQ and similar - NI is back again so we will look at re-radicalisation). Public and state attitudes and passive support. Globalisation and localisation. Activism etc and the motivations for violent activity that go beyond political and religious extremism. The shape of terrorism in the future. Terrorist organisations and techniques.

Emerged and emerging responses to terrorism. Theories and methodologies to counter, deter or defeat.

Strategic decision planning in anti and CT.

CT security planning and design. Phys/Info/Pers security. Requirements and processes to build in protection or to modify existing infrastructures.

Project/dissertation. 30 weeks distance learning with some workshops of one-two days on campus with really knowledgeable and current speakers. Cost tbd, probably about £1500.

Currency, credibility and accuracy guaranteed. Starting hopefully first half of next year.

Mac1401

Full Registered User
Thanks to all the contributors on this thread can anybody inform me where the ASIS certificates https://www.asisonline.org/Certification/Pages/default.aspx
fit in to the following framework?
National Qualifications Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If at all?

As it is important for employers internationally to be able to immediately see on a recognized framework what level of education you have and in the security industry this seems to be very confusing especially when dealing with Overseas employers.

In your opinion would international employers recognize an ASIS certificate over a BTEC level 5 or an ISMI level 6?

Last edited:

archie

Longterm Registered User
Thanks to all the contributors on this thread can anybody inform me where the ASIS certificates https://www.asisonline.org/Certification/Pages/default.aspx
fit in to the following framework?
National Qualifications Framework - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If at all?

As it is important for employers internationally to be able to immediately see on a recognized framework what level of education you have and in the security industry this seems to be very confusing especially when dealing with Overseas employers.

In your opinion would international employers recognize an ASIS certificate over a BTEC level 5 or an ISMI level 6?
There is no direct mapping to this. The point (and my point of view) is that the CPP/PSP are the major internationally recognised certs in security. Now; we can discuss relative merits of content, exams, and whether it is too US-focused but it is a baseline qualification that is internationally known. Definitely trumps both of the quals you mention in that regard. However I would say that the ISMI qual would be a good one to have in terms of content. Even better would be a degree of course....

I have been in security for quite a while and I firmly believe that CPP has been most beneficial to me. I would recommend getting it to anyone and everyone who wants to learn about general security.

Cheers.

Mac1401

Full Registered User
There is no direct mapping to this. The point (and my point of view) is that the CPP/PSP are the major internationally recognised certs in security. Now; we can discuss relative merits of content, exams, and whether it is too US-focused but it is a baseline qualification that is internationally known. Definitely trumps both of the quals you mention in that regard. However I would say that the ISMI qual would be a good one to have in terms of content. Even better would be a degree of course....

I have been in security for quite a while and I firmly believe that CPP has been most beneficial to me. I would recommend getting it to anyone and everyone who wants to learn about general security.

Cheers.
Thanks Archie for that information I am going to have to have a long hard think before commiting time and money

Mac1401

Full Registered User
In terms of Recognition by recruiters not necessarily in the security industry per se what do you think would be more enticing?

Top Bottom