Security Consultant ????

Jmsec

Full Registered User
Hello guys

I am in need of your advice once again.

I am looking to become a Security Consultant. is there any traininig course that i can do for that?
if so could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you

Jmsec

The SIA have had difficulty in defining what exactly constitutes a 'Consultant' and rightly so.

In my eyes, this can only be gained through experience. There is no 'instant' fix from a quick course.

Consultancy involves assessments, advice and guidance with recommendations, oversight and implementation.

You don't get that from a course regardless of what it's called.

Rich H

I have done consultancy work several times.
The main qualification people look for is experience. A good solid background in security is the bear minimum to become a consultant.
Think about it. If you needed advice on security are you going to rely an the advice of someone who's only experience is doing a course?

The SIA have had difficulty in defining what exactly constitutes a 'Consultant' and rightly so.

In my eyes, this can only be gained through experience. There is no 'instant' fix from a quick course.

Consultancy involves assessments, advice and guidance with recommendations, oversight and implementation.

You don't get that from a course regardless of what it's called.

Rich H

Absolutely spot on... CD :)

I would like to add something also if I may..? I viewed a proposed syllabus of training for Consultants, I can't quite remember where I saw it..? It was embarrassing..! I mean to the point of whoever controls this industry at the moment thinking or deeming that the industry is full of 'stupid' people..! Just as the SIA did when they conducted their original 'get to know you' interviews but maybe we [the SIA] should add that "we have little or no business fcuking Acumen"...

CD

I would like to add something also if I may..? I viewed a proposed syllabus of training for Consultants, I can't quite remember where I saw it..? It was embarrassing..! I mean to the point of whoever controls this industry at the moment thinking or deeming that the industry is full of 'stupid' people..! Just as the SIA did when they conducted their original 'get to know you' interviews but maybe we [the SIA] should add that "we have little or no business fcuking Acumen"...

CD

It's because they believe it can be done by generic type people that basically use proformas to look at situations rather than real life experience. Same as they are ding with the police using private "managers".

I have always been under the impression that a consultant should be an expert in that field and have years of experience (which is why they would be consulting rather than doing). If I wanted someone to advise me about something I would want to know that they have done that job for quite a while! In my opinion you would move on to being a consultant at the ending years of a successfully career in that industry.

Exile

Jmsec,

Just a little confused here, not long ago you started a thread about wanting to enter Marsec, you also stated you wanted to do hostile, you now state you want to be a consultant, so what's it to be?

Not having a pop at you and I appreciate that you have to keep your options open. However I think you have to be realistic in what you want to achieve.

Hello gents

Ive been trying to put a reply up on here for ages but the my laptop is playing up.

Thank you for the feed back as always.
sory for any confusion lads but a freind asked me how to go about becoming a Security Consultant at work and i had no idea. So i let him access to my profile so he could ask on here while he was on his break. hense the diffrent types of work im still getting the money together for Ronin and once that has finished MARSEC.

My freind was realy greatfull for the info tho guys.

JMsec

Strange.....

Your 'friend' is able to write in the same style as the rest of your 'I wanna be' posts. Seriously my friend you need to take a reality check.

Huh ? I'm just having a 'wtf' moment.

Sole qualification for being 'a consultant' is knowing, or being able to find, the answers to questions the man with a chequebook, is asking you.

V :)

But to throw in my answer.
I started level 5 Security this year will last till next June, then 2 months off back then to start level 6 for a year then on to college to study level 7 to obtain a degree that would allow me to work in a supervisor role i believe level 7 is two years with a two month break each year. This is open to members of the European Union and UK. PM for more info and link

The old my friend wants to know . . .

Hello gents

Ive been trying to put a reply up on here for ages but the my laptop is playing up.

Thank you for the feed back as always.
sory for any confusion lads but a freind asked me how to go about becoming a Security Consultant at work and i had no idea. So i let him access to my profile so he could ask on here while he was on his break. hense the diffrent types of work im still getting the money together for Ronin and once that has finished MARSEC.

My freind was realy greatfull for the info tho guys.

JMsec

Back