Security Institute Diploma in Security Management

Hi guys

I have just signed up for the Diploma in Security Management and received my books etc and was waiting for the next instructions. Having logged on today I now find that I probably should have started something by now. I am now panicking as I haven't done any serious study since leaving school. Been a female starting off in a very male world is daunting but hoping that some of you may have some pointers on the assignment etc and what to expect. Never used a forum before either so apologies if I have posted in the wrong bit.

First assignment "identify what you see as the main purpose of security management and discuss what is meant by the statement that 'security measures must be commensurate with the threat'" Just starting Primary reading but any hints, tips or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Hi, just joined today and in the same position as you were. Just logged on and printed off the primary reading. Not done anything like like this before so really nervous and like you think it may just be a confidence thing but really panicking. How are you finding it and have you any tips.

Thanks

YogaChick, welcome to the forum. I'd be happy to help, see my other thread in this section on academic work; though not strictly academic the Diploma and distance learning can be a mine field for anyone not used to formal learning.

Once you have built up to 5 posts you will be able to send private messages.

Diploma in Security Management

Is anyone out there currently studying the Diploma in Security Management or can help me with the studies (point me in the right direction). The first assignment question is "identify what you see as the main purpose of security management and discuss what is meant by the statement that 'security measures must be commensurate with the threat'. if anyone has any articles or books they can point me to for further reading etc, I would be very grateful. Hope this gets my 5 posts so that you can PM me.

Yes. I helped write the recent revisions to the program; and have offered my assistance in your previous thread / posts.

Hi All,

I felt the same when I first started out on this course. Me personally, i didnt use any of the books, as i found that they didnt speak English. I used the internet and googled everythihng. Top tip, lot of info out there.
If you need any help or advice, drop me a line.

Regards
Bluenose

Bluenose is correct but having completed the course last year and knowing the scoring aspects the tutors also like to see effective use of the primary reference materials as well as the personal input. If you do use others work or theories just reference them. Another balance act is that not using enough references can mark you down - even if your own input is valid. That said great course and a good way to project to employers.

Thanks for your help and advise. Received my first two assignments back with distinctions. Scoping the next one now so may be in touch.

Just a quick question how early can you submit assignments?

For example and I'm not saying do this could you submit them fortnightly and finish the course in about 2 months or must you submit them close to their completion dates?

I have submitted most of mine close to submission date, but now on the last 2 assignments and I had time on my hands so I have completed them 10 weeks early. So is it Ok to submit them after obviously double checking them again?

I believe that they won't be marked until after the due submission date.
I have also completed the course in January this year, receiving a distinction pass mark.

Thanks bigscottyboy, but they have marked some of mine a couple of weeks earlier than the due date, but I was wondering what too early would be.

Congratulations on the distinction. Just out of interest how many pass - distinction marks did you get throughout the course. Just wondering as I would be interested to know if you get the overall grade on the average of your scores throughout the course (i.e. 6 distinctions and 4 passes = overall distinction) or if you have to reach a certain amount of distinctions.

Thanks USXM137, I'm unsure how it is graded, but I received 7 distinctions and 3 passes.
If there's anything you need any help with feel free to send me a PM.

For everyones information I emailed the training department and they said submit them as soon as you are happy with them.

Hi guys I am on Module 3 assignment 2. Can anyone out there give me any pointers on this assignment, creativity is not my thing and I am drawing a blank.

The question is to produce a workplace poster for a retail company communicating to staff the risk of staff theft (keep in mind you want to deter potential thieves but you do not want to alienate your employees)

Thanks

Yogachick, What I think they are looking for here, is a poster aimed at the demographic and cultural group of the type of people that normally work for the retail company. For instance, I chose motor factors Halfords, who normally employ guys in their twenties, and used the italian job movie poster as a template with a phrase along the lines of "not everyone gets away with theft" and some stuff such as QR codes so they could scan it with their smart phones (as most guys in their 20's own smart phones).

I downloaded a free photoshop type program called 'GIMP2' that I used to produce the poster.

I don't remember the guys name, but their is an author who wrote some interesting pieces, in regards to theft from London underground, which also included a study about using eyes in a poster, as they had some sort of psychological effect to put people off stealing. That might be worth a 'google'.

I wasn't very artistic with mine, but did manage to create a poster using Word in the end. It was very basic and worked around a pet shop and had a cat on the prowl with a confidential number and a few words. Nothing fancy, but it done the trick. The write up about how it was used in the workplace I felt was more important than the look as not everyone is a graphics designer. As long as you have an idea and the write up reflects this you should be fine.

Just started the course. The books they send your aren't written in any form of language I know. Have just spent the past 2 hours staring at a blank Word document trying to think on what my opening gambit for the first essay should be. Sincerely hope I get some divine intervention on this shortly.

What was the first essay again? The purpose of security management? Just write to manage security.... Or look into Risk Mitigation as an encompassing term to describe the purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

Back