Security Institute Diploma in Security Management

SPOMAN

Longterm Registered User
Guys,

Is anyone currently studying for or recently completed the SyI Dip in security management. If so, how are you getting on with it. I only ask because I start next week and have heard that their have been problems setting up the online study part of the course.

Cheers

How have you been getting on with this chap? Any good, it would be interesting to read some type of review.......

Just starting my 4th assignment as we speak. The time frames for each module (2 assignments in each module) over 12 months, are ample and ideal for those in full time employment and are easily achievable with a few hours work. The assignments are a mixed bag of essays, briefings and reviews, each 1500 words exactly so with no tolerance you have to watch your word count. The modules include :

Understanding Security
Threats to Security
Risk Management
The Legal System
Management

The supplied resources are excellent including a large handbook of security, written by a plethora of security professionals and a comprehensive management publication. The Security Institute send lots of security bulletins to use as resources and references and there is an online resource of varying security subject matter articles. Once you have written your assignments you just send them off for marking. The results and assessment sheet come back in a few weeks. I recieved 2 distinctions for my first 2 assignments, so happy with that. Just need to keep up that standard.
The course is fairly inexpensive at £1500 + VAT, is flexible if you need to extend the time frames, is now a BTEC Level 5 Professional Diploma in Security Management and accredited by the University of Portsmouth with 80 academic points, which you can use toward the BSc in Security Management.
It also gives the graduate an opportunity to join the Security Institute at Member level and if they achieve their chartered status they are looking at creating post-nominals for Diploma graduates in addition to those for member status for professional recognition.
Perpetuity training conduct the course on behalf of the SyI and both have full details on their respective websites.

So if this course [SyI Dip in security management] is a level 5 and goes towards the Bsc. Apart from access to the Security Institute is it not better to do the Bsc. I presume you can still join the Security Institute with a Bsc or do you have to do the SyI Dip with them.

Willmeg,

Good point! Membership to the SyI is through a points system, points gained through experience, background and qualifications etc and presented to a board of validators who then decide at what level you can join. An MSc, BA or BSc will obviously stand you in good stead but not everyone can immediately embark on one of these academic courses for various reasons. I for one wanted some more academic experience before considering the higher level of postgraduate education. It just so happened that I accrued enough points through experience, education and courses to be validated as a full member. There is also the expense. A security related MSc could set you back upwards of £7000, so there is cost and some courses may not have the content you seek. As far as I am aware academic points can be taken into consideration for other similar subject related courses like an MSc. The BSc is just one such course you could consider, the fact that UofP have accredited it and tied it in to their BSc course shows that the Diploma has substance and crediblity. There is absolutely no pressure to continue your studies to another level. You may well be highly experienced and feel that a BSc will be of no benefit in the long run. Remember that around 75% of people in the security industry have no formal relevant security qualification - not that it is required of course, however more and more businesses and high end employers want high end qualifications. The SyI Diploma or the Certificate for that matter, could be a starting point or a finishing point for such academic recognition. Like any course, it gives academic experience and demonstrated capability.
I hope this helps and not hinders?

Spoman,

I have read your post on the SyI Diploma in Security Management and am seriously considering enrolling on the course in May 2011.

My question is this;

As I am based in Qatar and you are based in the UK, have you had any issues with the online nature of the course, website availability, cannot access certain threads, etc?

I have had a bad experience with an online education provider before (not in the Security sector) and want to be certain before I commit to the course.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kev

@Kev,
There was some delay in sorting out my log on details for the online resource, however, once I was on there I did not find it that interesting or relevent so I did not use it anyway (I had started my assignments without looking at it) They send you all the resources you need, PDF articles and books. You can complete the assignments without their resources, its just nice to include one of their references now and again.

Spoman,

Apologies for the delay with my reply. I have had a good look at the course content and will be starting the course in May.

thanks again,

Kev

Hi Spoman

New to this forum.

Taking the diploma starting January 2012. Read your pointers and puts me slightly at ease.
Did the Cert in 2009 and aced it but shit scared for the Dip but only because of not knowing what to expect.
My compnay is paying for the course and i would hate to dissapoint them.

What type of Questions are there and are they do-able.
The research you have done ,was it by using the web or other??

Myself and a buddy are tackling this course but we are just a bit fearfull of what to expect.

Is there any other advice you can give us to put my mind at ease or is it easy enough.taking into consideration that we are not rocket scientists ...... you know what i mean?? Had to learn twice harder than the rest in order to succeed in the past.

Cheers and All the best with yours.

Kilgert

Hi Spoman

New to this forum.

Taking the diploma starting January 2012. Read your pointers and puts me slightly at ease.
Did the Cert in 2009 and aced it but shit scared for the Dip but only because of not knowing what to expect.
My compnay is paying for the course and i would hate to dissapoint them.

What type of Questions are there and are they do-able.
The research you have done ,was it by using the web or other??

Myself and a buddy are tackling this course but we are just a bit fearfull of what to expect.

Is there any other advice you can give us to put my mind at ease or is it easy enough.taking into consideration that we are not rocket scientists ...... you know what i mean?? Had to learn twice harder than the rest in order to succeed in the past.

Cheers and All the best with yours.

Kilgert,
Hello mate. There is nothing to worry about. Some of the assignment titles include - What do you see as the main purpose of Security Management and discuss what is meant by the statement that 'security measures must be commensurate with the threat'. They sound a mouthful but break it down and plan a written response. Then utilise the resources, both primary and secondary that they provide and the internet and other books as tertiary sources. The assignments are only 1500 words but make sure that you include references. The handbook they send you will explain what they are looking for in each assignment. They do not require a full academic thesis, they just want to see that you have researched and given a good account of your findings. I had recently finished the CSC course so was used to the Harvard referencing system and had lots of other resources at my disposal, such as lots of Linkedin contacts in the industry who could answer my professional questions.
The paper resources they send you are excellent and written by people in the industry, however you could use the web to research all the questions.
You will be fine. If you get any snags once you start then give me a shout. I did not get a reply from any of the course helpers when I asked a question via email.

ATB

Hi Spoman

Hi there and thanx for that. Yeah assitance regarding the Harvard question is what am gonne need probably. Being new to the UK and method of studying,i would apprecitaed some help just understanding the question.
Hope i wont be a pain in the (you know what??)

If i may ask?? What is this CSC course you mentioned??

Thanx once again

Kilgert

Kilgert, I've not done the Sy Inst diploma but do hold a CSC and MSc, happy to help with any writing style issues.

The CSC, is the Certified Security Consultant course delivered by Anubis Associates and Bucks New University.

A book that will help with your referencing is "Cite them rite" by Pears & Shields.

OOHHH Nice!!!!!!!,somewhere i would like to be one day as well but we will press on at this stage as a newby in this field.
Ex South African Police member, 20 years and the change of workfield is different but interesting and i am very keen to learn more about the Industry.

Kilgert

As an ex Saffy pol officer you may get some interesting feedback speaking to Danie Adendorff at Loughborough Uni. He's the director of the security programme at the management school; came to the UK as a former saffy pol officer and has worked his way up the sytem, very knowedgable chap, on both professional courses and academic study.

His details are online, and on LinkedIn

Hi Spoman

Amazing to hear that and thanx a plenty for that,will try to make contact.

Hope you enjoy a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!!

Kilgert

As an ex Saffy pol officer you may get some interesting feedback speaking to Danie Adendorff at Loughborough Uni. He's the director of the security programme at the management school; came to the UK as a former saffy pol officer and has worked his way up the sytem, very knowedgable chap, on both professional courses and academic study.

His details are online, and on LinkedIn

Hi Rupert

Amazing to hear that and thanx a plenty for that,will try to make contact.

Hi Spoman. I just recieved my login detail but cant get access to the journal for you need a id number of sort...Being new to this would you mind assisting me in understanding the Question 1.
Do they require us to explain all the principles as mentioned in the bulletins and expand on them?
I hope this does not sound a bit stupid but as said,have not done this in almost a decade and not all clued up yet and hope i am not biting off more than i can chew.
Not having the journal available or any other resources yet does not help as well.Any help with internet searches would help if you dont mind.
Surely would appreciate any help at this stage.

Regards

Kilgert

Back