Security Institute Diploma in Security Management

Good day all,

I am considering enroling on this course for the may 2012 intake, what I would like to know is, how is the course seen by the UK security industry. In a nut shell, on attending an interview for a managerial position is this qualification regarded highly within the industry by employers?

Are there any employers out there in the UK that can give any advise on this course.

Slayer 007, if you look on the news section of the SyI website it mentions the figures and the forthcoming recognition and other accreditation. I am sure it also mentions how it is being received within the industry!

Kilgert,

I am in the process of completing the final module (to be handed in on 25 May) and have found the course really enjoyable. Not only has it expanded my knowledge, but it has also enhanced my research abilities. In fact I have enjoyed the process so much, that I will be starting another course with another organisation in October.

Regards,

Kev

Hi archie.
I am new here.Could you do the same for me as you did for Kilgert sending the pile of doc??

Regards
Gulli

Last edited:
Hi

Thank you.
doc´s regarding the assignment´s for the first module.

Assignment 1

Identify what you see as the main purpose of security management and discuss what is meant by the statement that ‘security measures must be commensurate with the threat’.

Assignment 2

Detail a security initiative that you have been involved in (or have read about), and identify how security principles were used (effectively or ineffectively) in that initiative.

Best regards.
Gulli

Hi guys,

I have looked at the PRINCE2 qualification in project management and this also looks interesting, can you tell me how many assignments there is in total? and approx how long it takes to complete if you have a good bit of time on your hands, cheers guys

regards

jloveday

Hi
Still trying to get started on first assignment, got my second assignment fairly going. Can you send something on where to get info on the web for first assignment? Anything will help :)
Best regards.
Gulli

Gulli

It is quite difficult to produce documents for you in answer to that Assignment question. The first part of it is subjective; asking what you see (your opinion) as the main purpose. You need to justify and evidence any statements that you make and that is where your research will come in. Unfortunately I can't do that research for you, otherwise your work will have little depth to it. The questions that you should ask yourself are:

What do I understand security management to be?
What is security management designed to protect?
What is its context - does it stand alone as a management function? Is it business integrated?
What do organisations require from security?
Also, you may need to research wider - not directly security - management principles and theories

Considering the threat and commensurate measures, you should perhaps look at the principles of threat and risk analysis,; characterising/understanding the organisation and assets to be protected. Consider also the issues of cost/risk balance and analysis. Again, it would be useful for you to research issues of organisational context.

Think also about enterprise risk (the risks that competitive organisations take to remain competitive), risk appetite, risk perception and board-level engagement. Commensurate risk mitigation would also be a useful term to research.

There are very many texts, white papers, book extracts and documents available through multiple web sites - you could also look for case studies. The vast majority of this will be available to you without leaving your keyboard!

I strongly advise you to do this research to develop your understanding of the subject area. You should develop a picture and basis for your work that illustrates your understanding of the needs of the organisation and the requirement to provide balanced and effective risk management and security implementation process - security is inconvenient to many and implementation of inadequately thought-out processes does little to integrate and thus enhance overall organisational effectiveness. In the main; the aim of all this is to protect the organisation's bottom line - its profitability.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Archie

Has anyone have ideas of security initiatives that can be utelized for this assignment.
I used liquids and gells at airports and a friend of mine used container security and WMD prolifiration initiative.A friend is also doing this Diploma but looking for another initiative?????

Detail a security initiative that you have been involved in (or have read about), and identify how security principles were used (effectively or ineffectively) in that initiative

Well, it would be good for your friend to apply some thought for him/herself. The Diploma is a L5 programme so I would hope that he/she has at least some initiative to sit and think about this.

What about the use of millimetric wave full security scanners at airports?

or

Chip and pin for debit cards

Those two took less than 10 seconds to think of...

Back