Security Institute Diploma in Security Management

This is a great thread and thanks to all the contributors, is it fair to say that this particular course is based on security management within the UK? the reason I am asking is that I have been working overseas for the last 20+ years and in varying security and military roles and at varying levels I have completed the level 4 diploma with Stonebridge associated colleges successfully and I was looking ta this course or the ISMS level 6 course as they are calling it which seems to be more internationally aimed although less recognized, I have looked at the CRG level 5 course too which seems perfect but their 12 day residential part really does not appeal to me as the little time i have to spend with family is precious and the cost is nearly double, any thoughts or responses would be appreciated.

I have just started the Syi Level 5 Diploma in Security Management and have found this thread very useful so far. Its a very long time since I put the academic cap on so if anyone has any pointers on referencing material or good sources of info, please feel free to PM me. Any advise will be kindly received

Kind Regards

Sam

Good morning,

I am thinking about doing this course, my only questions to the guys who have done it, how many hours a week would you say study time is needed? Can it be fitted into a busy work schedule?

Thanks

Regards

That's hard to answer! It depends on the person, and their ability to write an essay, although they are not too bad at 1500 words each.

I would say that if you could spend 3/4 hours a week on the essay and some more time reading, then you should be ok. You have 2 assignments at a time and around 2 months to do them both.

That's hard to answer! It depends on the person, and their ability to write an essay, although they are not too bad at 1500 words each.

I would say that if you could spend 3/4 hours a week on the essay and some more time reading, then you should be ok. You have 2 assignments at a time and around 2 months to do them both.

Thanks bigscottyboy, that gives me a good idea. I have signed up to the January course and am looking forward to it.

Regards

Hi all,

I've only just discovered this post. I completed the security institute level 5 diploma earlier this year, it was awarded as part of successfully completing a Lancaster University Fda, unfortunately the Fda is no longer taught by Lancaster.

With regards to 12345's post, my advise would be to read and note take when you can whenever you can spare the odd hour and put aside 2/3 hours a week you should breeze through it.

Good luck

Great thread folks, I'm starting mine in May so the info passed so far will be invaluable. Looking forward to the challenge.

Stonebridge college security management course

Hi all, currently studying for level 4 now, didn't do level 3 so am starting at the deep end but am fairly confident. Has anybody done this or should I have done level 3 first?

Ok, I have bitten the bullet and will be starting the level 5 through the perpetuity institute end of March this thread has helped me take the plunge so thanks to all for their contributions.

Ok, I have bitten the bullet and will be starting the level 5 through the perpetuity institute end of March this thread has helped me take the plunge so thanks to all for their contributions.

Good Luck with it Mac1401,
I just started the January intake and enjoying it so far. Looks like its going to be approximately one essay per month.

Regards

Cheers 12345
I have been doing maritime security for the last 4 years and things are slowing down so given that i am spending more time on dry land these days than at sea I will be trying to finish a lot quicker than the given year depending on how much the old grey matter will support. I have received the books are these just used for referencing or do you think its worth giving them a read through before starting ?

Cheers 12345
I have been doing maritime security for the last 4 years and things are slowing down so given that i am spending more time on dry land these days than at sea I will be trying to finish a lot quicker than the given year depending on how much the old grey matter will support. I have received the books are these just used for referencing or do you think its worth giving them a read through before starting ?

I'm in a similar position, still in CP in a role where there are not many TL slots, so am collecting Security Management Qualifications to move into corporate work.
I started reading them but stopped and will use them when the specific essay require them. Without giving too much away, there are other reading materials that will come with the online content, which are more specific and less academic to read.
Time wise, I find that when I'm working I struggle to study, but when I'm off I can catch up.

Regards

Almost completed assignment 2 of the Syi Diploma, I have found the supplied material useful but limited. There is of course a vast array of material on the web. Anyone else at the same point in the course?

Hi, On second assignment of the SyI Level 5 course and am wandering how much detail of the 'security initiative' markers are looking for? Any help please.

I think they are looking to see you can explain the initiative with as much detail as you feel necessary, one negative point i recieved for this assignment was that there was not enough references to substantiate the essay.
Hope this helps

Regards

Hi, I have just started the course and could do with some help.
Successfully completed the certificate in security management last year.

Back