Security on Cruise Ships

TonyRes

Full Registered User
I am interested in possibly doing security on Cruise Ships, does anyone have any good advise on how to get in to it and where to start from, can you get in to it on regular land based qualifications without any sea experience? any good experiences or contacts to share? I am based in the south of England, thanks in advance...

I did cruise ships for 10yrs.
Now on pax ship / ferry on my 8th yr.

Most cruise lines require 3,5-5 yrs of police / military experience.
-STCW-95 Basic Safety certificate including firefighting
-SSO certificate
- International Seaman's Health Certificate
- Crisis management certificate

All guard positions are manned by: philippinos, indians, nepales...
Security Manager/Officer/Chief are on major cruise lines western people.
That said, more and more of the above mentioned are replaced by: Croats, Russian...., members of former east-block countries.
Internet is full of cruise line recruiting. Stay a way from those that are asking for any sort of payment.

All in all, without the right background and qualifications your odds are slim to nothing.

Hope this helps.

KURT

Thank you for your prompt reply Kurt, I shall put a few feelers out and see how I get on, I haven't given up my day job yet, lol...

You need your stcw 95 all modules, eng1 medical, sso certificate,

I worked on cruise ships its not all people think it is. Money is only about 2000 pounds a month and i was on rotation of 12 weeks on 6 weeks off. The job can be very boring at times and if you have any problems wih your security guatds then they can cause you a sore head. Best thing to do is a draft email bout yourself and experience and send it away with your cv to every company you can find. Thats how i got with princess cruises Also helps if you know people on the ships.

Money should be around 7000USD$/month.
My final salary was 7500USD$/month after 5 yrs with the cruise line.
I would not do it for less.

Cheers for your reply Gaz, I am going to put some feelers out and see what happens, I haven't bothered with the qualifications in case I don't get anywhere and i waste my time and money, and also it seems different companies have different requirements and some provide training, if I get somewhere then I will do the courses on the South Coast, I have some friends who were on the Disney line in hospitality and they enjoyed it, 2k and 12 weeks on sounds fine, not that fussed about the money, just want the experience...

Back