Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Seismic or Anti-Piracy Security

albie406

Full Registered User
Hi guys....does anyone know if any company is hiring for Seismic Security in Iraq or Kurdistan at the moment? Would also like to know if anyone knows any POC's for anti-piracy security recruiting companies.....Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Albie406

STORMRIDER

Full Registered User
Hi Albie,
Welcome to the forum mate. I dont have any answers regarding companies. However, I can say that a minimum requirement for employment in the maritime industry for anti-piracy work is to have the certificate for Shipboard Security Officer. The law relating to the maritime industry is complex and covers treaties right across the globe. It is a very good course and very intense, but it is a minimum requirement. Also bare in mind that firearms are not authorised on any ship who operate under a flagged state that is a member of IMO, and they will never be.

If you need any further send me a PM and Ill try and help you.

STU

saward

Longterm Registered User
Albie406,

For information regarding 'anti-piracy', may I suggest a trawl through the Maritime Forum will reveal a wealth of information.

If you are looking to become involved in Maritime Security then having passed the Ships Security Officers course will perhaps make you more attractive to some companys.
I say 'perhaps' as some companys may not even care, as to them you would just be another body.

I will not go into the 'in's and out's' of maritime qualifications, rather that you read the threads on the above named forum.

Stormrider,

With regards to firearms onboard ships.
Authorisation depends on the laws of the flagged state.

All the IMO states is that;

"The carrying and use of firearms for personal protection or protection of a ship is strongly discouraged"

Trust this helps.

Saward

moomin

Longterm Registered User
Hi All

I've recently been in contact with one maritime company who have informed me that I do NOT need an SSO course prior to leaving port epending on previous experience. They stated that they usually have guys onboard for a period of time and then bring them back for their SSO course? From what I gathered, companies are offering training that this company were saying they do NOT need initially.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this would be appreciaited

Moomin

STORMRIDER

Full Registered User
Any maritime company that offers work without an SSO qual aboard a flagged vessel under the auspices of the IMO is a company not worth working for. If an incident occurs and an international incident ensues due to the reaction of that team then that companies insurance company will certainly have something to say at the first instance. The diplomatic fallout will also certainly shut the operator down. Not withstanding the other crap that comes with all the diplomatic fallout

The presence of a security force in any form on a ship cannot operate effectively without the prior knowledge of the laws at sea. This is no different to a CPO not having a CPO ticket. This is the reason for these laws existing in the first place and the reason why the qualification exists.

With regards to firearms on a vessel, take your chances. I am sure that if the fan is hit there will be no support from the IMO or any of the flagged states. A dodgy situation to be in when your 500 miles out at sea.
STU

Last edited:

saward

Longterm Registered User
Far better that people refer to the Maritime Forum if they do not understand what in fact the position of a Ships Security Officer means, as per the International Maritime Organisation.

1. A Ships Security Officer is a qualified sea going officer within the Merchant Navy.The SSO qualification is in addition to the normal qualifications that a qualified sea going officer is expected to have.

2. The SSO qualification is fully explained within the International Ship and Port Facility Security Code. As laid out by the International Maritime Organisation.

3. If you are not a qualified sea going officer but a person wishing to be involved in maritime security, by all means do an SSO course.
But understand this!!
You WILL NOT be a qualified SSO as per the IMO/ISPS understanding.
Again read 1 AND 2 above.

4. Currently there is no such thing as an accredited Maritime Security Officer.This seems to be the title now being used to describe those involved in the current 'anti-piracy' operations in the Gulf of Aden.
By doing an SSO course, for those who have no previous 'sea time',it will help give a better understanding of the ships routine.

5. Any security team embarked on any vessel is with the Captains/ships owners permission. Shipping company's do in fact have lawyers and no doubt have a good understanding of maritime law.

6. Regarding firearms at sea and the IMO. May I again refer to the previous quotation from the IMO:
"The carrying and use of firearms for personal protection or protection of a ship is strongly discouraged".
The ship comes under the juristdiction of the flagged state not the IMO.

7. You also need to know the difference between Territorial and International waters!

Again I suggest people refer to the Maritime Forum for a more in-depth understanding of maritime security.

Trust this improves your understanding of maritime security.
Having an SIA CP qualification means little at sea.

Having time and experience at sea means much more.
Having an SSO certificate shows you wish to improve you knowledge.
I will not start on, sea survival, boat handling, navigation not to mention understanding the terminology!!:)

Saward

moomin

Longterm Registered User
Thanks for that guys, I understand a lot more on the subject now.

I think I may have misunderstood the information I was given which appears to be correct now after looking at this and reading it again.

Thank again

Moomin

hooton812

Longterm Registered User
I would like to add that i am a maritime security officer without an sso certificate and have been for the past 18months i carry arms and have never had any problems the company i work for have been around for the past 23 + years and are good at what they do. as regards SAWARD listen to what he has to say he knows his stuff and from past threads he has helped me alot. Good work saward keep it up mate. i am off on wed for 8 weeks to the gulf of aden yet again.

hooton812

Longterm Registered User
always looking for good guys securewest international 01548856001 les smith or fill in the online application on the web site

AgeingC.P

Longterm Registered User
Already applied they must think I'm a pirate as they have not got back to me. I'll give them another call see If they re gonna have me keep hauled.
Cheers
ACP

trublue

Longterm Registered User
They ve just took on 20 new guys, when you look at the website, go into careers, if they are recruiting it will always be on there, if not then they will withdraw the post

hooton812

Longterm Registered User
hello trueblue thought you had forgotton your nightshift buddy see you on the 29th jan and who says it is 3 months mate

broomswood

Full Registered User
Hi guys....does anyone know if any company is hiring for Seismic Security in Iraq or Kurdistan at the moment? Would also like to know if anyone knows any POC's for anti-piracy security recruiting companies.....Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Albie406
Try exploration logistics LTD in mitcheldean Glousetershire, they supply safety to lots of seismic crews they may have some work

Top Bottom