Serving Legionnaire, will answer any questions!!

Cheers.

The intention was to continue paying off the fine in the FFL as I would still want to maintain my links in the UK. I just wanted to know how quickly I could roll on out of the UK if push came to shove

hi,
im ex royal marines and thinkng of joining the ffl... i like people who just tell it how it is like you have. what is it like in general as a family, atmosphere and life compared to british forces? i had some good times in the commandos on and off duty... i know i could get through there basic training without a doubt because of the high level of skills ive learnt from the marines but whats banter, down time, discipline, stricketness like compared to british and leave etc etc....

any info would be great

cheers

Hello

I dont know if this has been asked before, if so I apologuize.
Anyhow, how is 'the action' so to speak? How often are you deployed and how much time do you spend in the barracks?
Are you able to choose a more 'deployment-intensive' regiment?

Many thanks and best regards
Samnite

I don't want to sound arrogant (butt I guess I am) I would like to advise the last few members who posted over here to READ THE WHOLE THREAD!

This is a 400+ post thread where questions have been asked and answered, most questions are the same and the answers aswell.
These questions have all been answered before:

What do you do with your off-time?

Can I hide from the justice in the FFL?

Which Regiment se most action?

What do you get for breakfast?

Do you have to wear a uniform?

How hard is it?

Can my mother come with me until I learn French?

Does everyone have to carry a weapon?

Can i bring my playstation?

I got refused by my countrys army becouse i have no legs, can i join FFL?

I was an Colonel in X army, can i keep my rank and medails in FFL?

Can you start a war where ever you want?

How many people do you have to kill before you get a faked name?

Is it only in 2°REP you learn underwater knife fighting?

Is there a special MarSec regiment in the FFL?

Can I choose what rank I want to have?

Can I get whatever-special-treatment-never-heard about-in-any-army?

Not sure If this thread is going to still be viewed or answered. However the Cervans.net website will not work for me.

Anyways I'm an American looking to save up a bit of cash and go to France in hope of joining the Legion. Most of my best friends are in the military and I want to be the best out of all of them. I cannot join the American Military because I had a Marijuana Cultivation charge. My adjudication was withheld So I am not a Felon. But FBI background checks through the military see it so they won't accept me.

Ive got the steel nuts I need. Ive been broken down time and time again in my life. Would they accept somebody with my charge?

Hey Adam, are you able to tell me if they accept anyone who is just over 40, but still under 40 to join the Legion? Have been trying to find this information, but no luck. Thanks in advance.

just over 40, but still under 40

You would fail the basic tests anyway... insufficient basic maths :)

Sorry couldn't help it.

Just under 40 ; in theory possible but they will be extremely regarding, you'd better be in an excellent shape and not have any problem.

Hey Adam, are you able to tell me if they accept anyone who is just over 40, but still under 40 to join the Legion? Have been trying to find this information, but no luck. Thanks in advance.

Hi MLEC,
well, if you are just under 40, there is no chance for you, I think.
In the past, the FFL took some times guys, who had an exceptional profil in this age, but that was especially in the cold war.
Currently, the FFL take 1 of 13 volunteers...in fact, there is no place for guys who have more the 30...sorry, but it's true mate.

Best

MAY

Hi MLEC,
In the past, the FFL took some times guys, who had an exceptional profil in this age, but that was especially in the cold war.
Currently, the FFL take 1 of 13 volunteers...in fact, there is no place for guys who have more the 30...sorry, but it's true mate.

Best

MAY

appreciate the honesty...better the truth, than some bs answer.

Hi MLEC,

Best

MAY

Got a temp inapt and am over 30. No previous military exp.. If this is true they should've just given me a definitive. Most of the guys from the Americas got temps....guys in Europe got definitives....seemed strange at the time.

A guy told me, "the Legion knows what they are doing. They have their ways." In direct reference to a specific candidate (n. africa)getting a temp, a few days before I was marched out, and the probability of them returning. Heresay? Candidate like me? Plant? I don't know.

The competition is fierce there and I was more than happy to come back enroll in French classes, bring my pullups beyond ?, and continue training.....but your comment was a kick in the balls. I'm not 25 anymore I can't afford to be strung along. Crodile tears etc....but it's BS too.

Last edited:
Got a temp inapt and am over 30. No previous military exp.. If this is true they should've just given me a definitive. Most of the guys from the Americas got temps....guys in Europe got definitives....seemed strange at the time.

A guy told me, "the Legion knows what they are doing. They have their ways." In direct reference to a specific candidate (n. africa)getting a temp, a few days before I was marched out, and the probability of them returning. Heresay? Candidate like me? Plant? I don't know.

The competition is fierce there and I was more than happy to come back enroll in French classes, bring my pullups beyond ?, and continue training.....but your comment was a kick in the balls. I'm not 25 anymore I can't afford to be strung along. Crodile tears etc....but it's BS too.

They get to choose what they want. It's a buyers market, suck it up

Hirsch,
what I mean is, it's much more harder now to engage at the FFL as before, especially if you are over 30/35, this becomes very rare, I am sorry, but it's like that.

So, if anyone which is older then 30/35 or nearly already 40 and will absolutely try it, so...do it, buy a ticket, take your bag and go straight to Aubagne, don't waste your time in the other recruitment offices of the legion as in Paris, etc., ...but don't be surprised if it's doesn't work for you!

To resume, there is, theoretically, still a chance to get a feet within the FFL even over 30/35th,...but it's theoretically only!

Cheers

MAY

Hello Everyone,

Firstly I'd like to start by thanking everyone for such an insight to the FFL, for the information & advice given within this thread, and the upmost respect to all serving/ex-service FFL's.

I am from the UK, 22, generally fit & healthy, joining the French Foreign Legion next February when my passport comes through.
Reason - I need a second attempt at life, need a second chance, to start life over for personal reasons of my own.

If I may, I'd like to also ask a question & advice regarding the question.

September this year I had a small operation, left groin inguinal hernia, open surgery.
I have had no problems since the operation & not needed any follow up appointments or treatment.
I have also since November been back to running daily, push ups, sit ups etc.

My question is - WILL THIS AFFECT MY ENTRY TO THE FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION?

I am a fit young lad, run daily through local woodland areas, can hit 2.4km in 8.42min, can do many push ups, sit ups, pull ups etc. etc..

My mind is set, I am doing this & failure is not an option, I just want to know if I should wait a little longer because of the operation back in September or just to go for it.

Thanks in advance.

Ask your doctor what the general guidelines for you operation says about how long it takes to be completely healed, explain to him that you want to join the army, ask him if he can see any limitations in what type of service you can do. If he says you cannot go for para reg FFL will not accept you.
If your doctor says no, so will FFL doctors, if your doctor says wait, so will FFL.

Ask your doctor what the general guidelines for you operation says about how long it takes to be completely healed, explain to him that you want to join the army, ask him if he can see any limitations in what type of service you can do. If he says you cannot go for para reg FFL will not accept you.
If your doctor says no, so will FFL doctors, if your doctor says wait, so will FFL.

I have rang the army, asked about joining the paras & they said it would be a 1 years deferral.
But they said that if I felt fit enough, was back to all the normal activities with no follow up appointments, I could get a signed letter from the doctor agreeing I am back to full health & explain that he sees no reason why any training should affect me.

Cheers for the reply though.

Jamin, external medical certificates are not recognized by the legion. If you have any relevant X-Ray picture though, it would be considered (I got an inapte temporaire when I first joined, for not bringing an X-Ray picture).

If you're worried about British Military criteria matching the legion's, here's a nice story to cheer you up, this is Christmas time after all :

Alex Rowe (soldier) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mate, I really wouldn't mention anything at Aubagne and just see how you get on.
It's not as if Interpol knows anything about any med problems you could have- is it?

Arnaud - they wouldn't x-Ray me as there is no need because I have no recurring problems or anything, so that's not an option, but thanks anyway. & I shall have a read of that story in a little while.

Gareth - that is true, I could just not tell them, but I think unless the doctor is blind.. They may notice the 4-5inch scar from the operation! Just a thought :) ha then I would look a right dick & would be ****ed off by them for being disshonest to.

Back