Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should cash guards remain in a broken-down vehicle on the motorway?

Jet

Full Registered User
This hypothetical question popped into my head while driving up the M20 from Deal, Kent.

Now the advice for laymen is to never remain in a broken-down vehicle on the hard shoulder of a motorway. Instead, you should exit and stand on the otherside of the crash barrier.

But, what about cash guards? Should they follow the above advice to preserve life but potentially risk valuables, or vice-versa, and remain in the vehicle?

(I realise this may be a sensitive topic, and apologise profoundly if that is the case.)

Phecta

Longterm Registered User
Depends on if you fancy testing from the inside how strong the cash vehicle is when it is hit by a 50 ton artic doing 60mph and what damage is caused to the occupants when coins leave their static position along with containers and travel at 60 mph inside the vehicle until they come to a halt when they hit either a solid object (the inside of the vehicle), or they hit a more softer target (a human in transit)

or, if you would prefer to observe this damage occuring at a safe distance and then be in a fit state to call the emergency services and protect the scene from people helping themselves to cash.

I have attended incidents one sticks in mind in particular where a cash van left the road and rolled and the occupants were not too well afterwards.

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
You would be more likely to be attacked yourself by people wanting the cash, if you were outside the vehicle, but I still think it would be the better option.
Minimise the chances of breaking down by ensuring the vehicle is properly maintained, do suitable pre-checks before setting off. Make sure that you know where you are at all times so that help can get to you fast and not spend time looking for you. Take note of distances to services constantly so you know how far you have to go to get to one if you start noticing something wrong.

lewey2774

Removed Users
Cash is insured in my eyes, hopefully it does get hit by an artic then a few quid could be lost in your back pocket during the clear up haha

Oddjob

for £7.50 ph.
I'm out before the wagon leaves the depot. let alone a motorway verge.

First stop using these anti riot police helmets that is ridiculous.
Then make a law that approves they use weapons.
Then discuss everything else.

Oddjob

First stop using these anti riot police helmets that is ridiculous.
Then make a law that approves they use weapons.
Then discuss everything else.
but where would you 'discuss' everything else.
In the back ? Or on the verge ?

In truth what's the difference.
Secure from without or within.
You have no real defence if struck by an 18 wheeler.
Get out and report any approaches from a safe distance.

"You have no real defence if struck by an 18 wheeler.
Get out and report any approaches from a safe distance. "
This happens in UK?
In Brasil happens many times.

Oddjob

This happens on any given motorway, in any given country.
Driving standards are universally poor.
when they are not developed and progressed.
One course or test as with anything does not an expert make.

This happens on any given motorway, in any given country.
Driving standards are universally poor.
when they are not developed and progressed.
One course or test as with anything does not an expert make.
Lol
The way you say now seams a accident car crash that happens all the time in evrywhere in the world.
Don't sounds as a money truck attack.
In this part of the world a attack to a money truck looks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_iIbrim1Qk&feature=related

Last edited:
Lest's back to the question.
I think will be more dangerous for the security guards life.
Crash can happens if attack happens they lives can be in a serious risk inside the truck.
Imagine if the air condition fail down how they stay inside a metal box.

Last edited:

Walks99

Longterm Registered User
Well going by my experience of breaking down on the M4 returning to depot - the vehicle ran out of fuel although the fuel gauge said we had plenty and we came to chugging halt!

I have to say, there was no way on this planet that I was staying in the vehicle. Feck the money - it's insured and nobody would ever pull you up for looking after yourself and your crew mate over the money.

As with CVIT role - the money is insured and will be replaced - you're not!

Walks

Odd

Longterm Registered User
I think if J W Pepper was here, he would say "Get outta that veeeeehicle, baw!"

Alerion

Full Registered User
Lol
The way you say now seams a accident car crash that happens all the time in evrywhere in the world.
Don't sounds as a money truck attack.
In this part of the world a attack to a money truck looks like this.

vida de quem trabalha em carro forte.wmv - YouTube
Can someone explain the benefit of these trucks being bright yellow?

From a neutral and uninformed stand-point I have come to the conclusions:

- Makes it easier to spot if stolen
- However it also makes it easier to spot if being targeted.

Someone educate me

williamdonati

Full Registered User
On finding any threat remember it's not worth your life to intervene and you come up against an organized attack or van, remember your company has insurance for its losses and unfortunately if you lose your life you won't get it back again. Cash in transit box destroys the cash on robbery. Most cash in transit robberies are a failure on the van itself but only when you step outside the van will the robbers be able to get to you.

GI0VANNI

Longterm Registered User
Can someone explain the benefit of these trucks being bright yellow?

From a neutral and uninformed stand-point I have come to the conclusions:

- Makes it easier to spot if stolen
- However it also makes it easier to spot if being targeted.

Someone educate me
My pleasure:
the company that uses that cars is prosegur, the "security giant" in Spain and part of the latino america.

The "company color" is that yellow you like so much (in Spain we had a say, "no hay campo sin grillo ni maricon sin amarillo" that translates more or less as: "there is no field without cricket neither fagot not wearing yellow")

By law the truck has to be at least manned by 3 people (in spain) armed with revolvers and maybe a shotgun (full stock one) and with the number on the roof to be spotted if needed, also connected by two different measures with base, about colors, just not able to be taken by mistake for a military or police.

We back in Spain do not have as in UK computer assisted hatches to open only on location or even the permanent ink marker/puncture boxes you use here (and really would prefer lacking that but being able to trust my partners instead of working alone as in UK despite the riot helmet that makes g4s drivers so coooonfident.

Having said that all; just happened that Prosegur made the choice as you said for the "easy to spot" color

Top Bottom