Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Showsec

billy1000

Full Registered User
I'm thinking of putting in for extra casual work with Showsec. If anyone has worked or is working for them, please feel free to give me details about their good/bad points. PM if needed.

Only useful info please.

all the best

Billy

mickybeno

I'm thinking of putting in for extra casual work with Showsec. If anyone has worked or is working for them, please feel free to give me details about their good/bad points. PM if needed.

Only useful info please.

all the best

Billy
I applied to them a fortnight ago mate, after the asked for security /stewards went through what seemed like a very tedious online application form and havnt even had an aknowledgement email for my trouble, so not really sure about their care for staff.

Posted via Mobile Device

bigaallaann

Full Registered User
My experience with Showsec is not impressive.Like you I thought of working for this company to make extra money.I applied online for a SG work that was advertised.
I had an interview with Showsec approximatley a year or so ago.Showsec appeared to be a good company to work for when I had my interview and I was impressed with their mangaers BS.Showsec had a contract to starting at the Edinburgh PlayHouse Theatre,pay rate was £6.50 an hour if remember correctly.Showsec do event security in general in addition of this.I accepted the job offer and waited for my contract of employment.I waited nearly 2 weeks for this and received nothing.I called Showsec to there office in England and asked about this,told it had been over looked and would my contract of employment would be sent immediatley.I waited again for it and nothing.I called again and told that my contract had been sent but Showsec would resend it again.I also asked about the uniform to as had never been issued it either.
I was asked during this time of waiting if I would work and said I would once read and signed the contract of employment.In the end I received the contract and refused to sign it as didn`t agree one of the conditions.This was that your hourly rate includes your holiday pay,my thoughts were whoever thought of this at showsec should get a Gold Star for screwing employees and saving Showsec a fortune reagrds holiday pay.
I called Showsec and told them that I was no longer interested to work for them as didn`t like their contract of employment.Showsec told me it was okay and would delete me on their pc data base.
I got a call from Showsec again asking if I would work at an assignment T in the Park.
I have my own vehicle and asked if I could take 3 other people with me to the venue?Showsec were going to provide a tent and food at this venue for all its security staff.I said its fantastic and agreed knowing that how can I work for them without a contract of employment and already telling Showsec that I wasn`t interested in working for them.Did I bother about No! Never even showed up! I then got a call asking why I never showed up etc and I explained to the person at Showsec that I told them long ago I wasn`t interested in working for them etc.
Told again my details would be deleted from their data base.
In February this year 2010 I got another call from Showsec and asked if I would work the weekend at the Edinburgh Play House,I said yes but had no uniform..hehehe.
Next day I received a Special Delivery from the Post Office with a uniform,received 1 Yellow T Shirt and a Jacket.The Jacket is nice reversable HI Vis one way in Yellow and Brown the other way.I never went to the Play House.hehehe
I then got a call from the manager of Edinburgh why I never went to work? Told him I never ever signed a contract of employment so can`t work and told him I never had any intention of working for Showsec as stated before.I told this manager that he could come to my house and collect the uniform but he never has done yet.
Low and behold I got another call 3 weeks ago and asked if I could work a shift at the Edinburgh Play House again? I declined it and haven`t heard from Showsec again.
My opinion Showsec is a crazy company and badly managed.In as much Showsec has good intentions its like a cowboy operation.I hate to think if I worked for them and had a error regards pay what would happen?
If you want to work for Showsec and have your holiday pay inclusive of your hourly rate its up to you?

Darrenleach

Full Registered User
i have worked for showsec and they are a bunch of clowns in my opinion....the managers paid a fortune and for what??? tell ya what...for recruiting people that cant even do the job at hand. when you for this company you are just a number....you get given a task and then forgot about...no breaks....no food...no respect...i worked last year at the bestival in isle of white and the year before and they are a joke. 2008 in isle of white if you wanted food you had to walk 25 mins just to get to the point of where they served food. they told you ya had 15 mins break but yet you had to walk 25 mins to het there...how does that work then?
that year also it was terrential rain...they never give you any assistance in trying to keep you warm or dry. never provided hot drinks. forgot about their own staff when placed them on their positions.i know lads that was working 18 hours a day because they forgot about people they had working in certain positions and they only got paid for 12 hours trying to make out that it was the security operatives fault.
IN MY OPINION I WOULD NOT EVEN GO NEAR THIS COMPANY...A JOKE...UNPROFFESSIONAL...AND VERY UNCONSIDERATE TO MEMBERS OF STAFF..

billy1000

Full Registered User
Thanks for the replies, I wanted feed back and thats what I got. I'll look around for extra work with other firms.

all the best

Billy

db1

Super Moderator
Tbh, it doesn't matter who you work for, Showsec, Stuart, etc, they are all a muchness.
Majority of the time you are just a meaningless name / number, a body to cover a post. Whether you are capable or not is irrelevant.
Work will be subbed subbed subbed subbed out so the chances that you'll end up working with a bunch of bananas are pretty high.
Basic uniform may be provided but often is of poor quality and if you find you're just working for them for the day and its been subbed out, the kit you get .... well I wouldn't expect a homeless person to wear it.
Kit as in radio's, torch's etc is often knackered and finding a team where they all know how to use a radio, better chance of finding out the dodo isn't extinct.
I worked at events for a large company twice, same company, subbed out to the same person. Never again. Bunch of cowboys.
Occasionally a good team will come along or a supervisor that actually remembers how many positions they have to cover and tries to give comfort breaks but ......................... well seems to be pretty much of a rarity and getting even rarer nowadays since wages and standards have dropped even lower.

Steer clear of the bigger companies. Try and find yourself a smaller team that travel round to events / festivals. Pay may still sometimes be subbed x4 out but at least you'll be with people you know and can trust.

KNASHER

Longterm Registered User
Have they got a sister company called TSS as it sounds like the same company pmsl :)

NASH..

Last edited:

FUNKSTAR

Full Registered User
Shit I was thinking of getting my door badge, and doing Event work with Showsec, as I just cant work with the numpties Im working with at the moment (SG badged in shopping centre) but reading this has realy ****ed up my plans!

Is the whole company like this or does it differ in what area you work?

Plus does your badge take any effect on job roles, as I intend to get CP badge once Ive saved up 5 grand :)

Darrenleach

Full Registered User
hey dont be put off getting your door supervisors licence just cos there are clown companies out there, and yeah def worth getting ya cp licence providing you can get some work through it,
there are decent companies out there that do pay good money for festivals and do treat you right, big companies like showsec, g4s, are tossers, like the other guy said dont matter how switched on or not you are then they will still use you stagging on a gate for 12 hours or more
just be careful who ya work for...if ya want work on festivals then let me know, i can normally get people work through summmer season but must have licence to hand.

Erika

Full Registered User
Always look on the bright side though...if you ever need a hi viz or a yellow T-shirt, you know who to contact.. :D LOL

Personally I wouldn't work for a company who treats their staff that way. However, don't let small obstacles put you off getting the badge. See it for what it is, a step stone, a foot in the door. Give it your best shot, work hard, get the experience and network!!
Who knows where you will end up in a few years time :)

ThatJonKid

Full Registered User
Just like to say I agree with db1, hes spot on

Tbh, Ive worked with all the big 3 companies and many, many smaller ones, Showsec are defiantly not the worst.

The companies need to provide bodies to cover positions, some events have over 2000 staff, stewarding is unskilled work and 90% of the stewards are completely untrained, have very little experience and have no real interest in the security sector. As for licensed staff the figure goes to 70% in my opinion.

Customer welfare is not high on many security companies lists, not just the big ones, the majority of companies are interested on getting the numbers and whacking them on position.

Lack of organisation is unavoidable, temp workers working for production, contractors (bars/concessions, security, stewards, rigger's etc) all merging on one project with varying degrees of competence and experience and everyone wanting it their way... its a nightmare. In regards to company organisation (paperwork, office stuff etc) no excuse really, thats down to the company, but yet again, they are all as bad as each other with exeptions to prove the rule.

If I am honest, what the above posters have written is true, however singling Showsec out from the masses is a little misguiding (I know the OP was regarding Showsec, this isnt based on any posts, just making a point).

My Tips,

Work for one of the big companies, get some experience, put up with being treated like a number (or worse), (expect general unorganisation, you wont get respected, whatever your ability, take the word "breaks" out of your vocabulary, water is always provided (not all bad, eh ;P), food is normally substandard, ex mill kick up the most about it!) then find a smaller company who may appreciate your experience/competence and provide better staff welfare...if not move on to another, pleanty of companies out there.

Concentrate on venue work, get your self into a nice little venue and appreciate the 2 or so nights they throw your way as a lil extra cash on top or 4 or so nights at different venues for more full time work. The venues will provide bread and butter and festivals and big events the rest. Make the most of summer, it gets a little light over the winter.

The smaller the team the better you get treated (in general, and this may seem obvious) if your 1 in 10, ul be ok, 1 in 2000 ... well ;P

Make some decent contacts with your collegues, find out whose working for who, whos good to work for etc, theres pleanty of excellent guys working in event security, pleanty of good companys, you just need to sift through the scrubs to find them! All have pro's and con's and I wont meantion any particular names, but Showsec are one of the best (taking into account all that has been said) and biggest and a good place to start in the industry and in my experience, they pay on time, quick to answer/correct queries and have the best rates of all the companies.

Just my opinion

=0)

Jon

colinglancy

Full Registered User
i thought about applying for a job with them but decided against it, i ended up working for securi group, ive been working with them a few months now and they seem quite good, they make you feel like your part of the company but the only problem ive had with them is that they have messed my wages up a few times and it takes a few phone calls to get it sorted. im based in edinburgh so i dont know what the other offices are like, but you still might want to give them a go

Ninjafox

Full Registered User
The companies need to provide bodies to cover positions, some events have over 2000 staff, stewarding is unskilled work and 90% of the stewards are completely untrained, have very little experience and have no real interest in the security sector. As for licensed staff the figure goes to 70% in my opinion.

Customer welfare is not high on many security companies lists, not just the big ones, the majority of companies are interested on getting the numbers and whacking them on position.
I'd have to agree with the majority of what Jon has said from my own experience with event security companies over the years.

I'm in Ireland and the events security industry grew rapidly here and that meant the couple of companies in the market had to grow rapidly to service the industry. This lead to all the kind of messing as described in this thread and the level of disorganisation at times.

However, currently things are different. The main company over here is very much on top of things and takes the welfare of its staff particularly seriously. Again with 2000+ staff at an event it's a challenge but they employ people specifically to look after staff welfare. So delivering rain gear, food, water etc. :)

It makes a massive difference to the morale among staff and, like I said, is challenging but definitely worth it.

Without the staff the events can't happen. Simple as that. ;)

bagobone

Yeah,like everyone has said,don't bother mate.Ten weeks ago: 1 days unpaid training.Ten weeks later,no uniform,no I.D. and no shifts.The best part is this:wait for it;they insist you arrive 15 minutes before your start time,don't pay you for it,then send you home 15 minutes early and deduct it from your wage!

Just as well I have a sense of humour.Don't bother mate.

Seriously though,I'd like to see some response from Management at Showsec on here.

williamkemmett

Full Registered User
not yet work yet they offer me 3 shifts doing stewart at rate of 6ph in 3 months told them to contact when got some ds shifts at better rate

Thanks for the replies, I wanted feed back and thats what I got. I'll look around for extra work with other firms.

all the best

Billy
Hi Mate,

Try Show&Event Show and Event Security :: About

Showforce Showforce Services - How can we help you?

I've had quite a bit of work with S&E, backstage, dressing room, shadow artiste from dressing room to stage etc.
They also have resident security backstage at the o2 Arena, Wembley Stadium, Royal Albert Hall to name a few.

all the best

Last edited:

waynefogg

Full Registered User
funkstar, have a proper think of waht you are doing as a CPO, if you are looking for uk work, there isnt really that much i have found out, i am now not doing my CP training

Top Bottom