Showsec

My recent experience for showsec is only of the recruitment stage. I applied online to be one of their staff for london live. Interview process was a bit of a joke, but the accepted me, and me them, even if the pay was low.

However they wanted a full employment history, which is fine, what company doesn't, so I gave them one. However, as some of you guys might be aware, some door firms aren't quite...legit?...done have an office?....are just run out of email and phone number? So providing postal addresses is hard. They responded with they cannot continue with my application till it was complete.

One of my previous employers I requested they did not contact, as I left on very un-easy terms, but they still went ahead of contacted them.

I had two employers before I left my home town to come to london. One of them was a shop, which is now shut down. And the other was a pub, run by an old couple who sadly passed away. Showsec still wanted full contact details of the places, plus details of management so they can obtain references. When over the phone I said "Mr ****** is deceased" the response I got was "but we still need an address of someone to contact to prove it was a legit job, we can't continue your application further"

Now I understand the importance and making sure its a legit job and I aint lying, but theres a limit....

Application withdrawn

I know what you mean P I've worked for several firms who went under years ago etc . Some took tax and NI off us and never passed it to the tax man.... So I occasionally struggle with that side.

I haven't worked for them but I have worked with them, one night at a festival in pitch black darkness they decided it was a good idea to run 2 forktrucks through the disabled camping ground to lay track. I mentioned to one of their supervisors it wasn't a good plan but I was told my objection was noted, then obviously veto'd. It was only luck that no one was hurt.

My opinion, smaller companies are better to work for because everyone knows everyone else's capabilities but if you're a student and looking extra cash and want to see your favourite bands then go for it, don't expect to be more than a number though.

I have worked for showsec for a few months now. And they haven't been too bad until I agreed to work London Live, and since day 1 I have been shockingly treated..

We have been placed 8 miles away from where we need to go - cost of 100 pounds for oyster cards for the 18 days down here..
We weren't told we'd have to pay 200 pounds for the accomodation
Since i've been down here I've been on entrance/exit gates constantly for 14.5 hr shifts..
I've had shifts deleted off my 'portal' so not been paid for them, and I have to prove where I worked and for how long.
had 1hr10 min sleep last night and was on the 'Notice board' for a 5:30 start.. So left at 4:10 in the morning and when I eventually got there was told your not on the list.. That was an error you can wait until 09:00 and well see what we can do.. which was nothing.
When I said Im fed up of this a manager said 'F*** off back home then' but I'm still here. And NEVER NEVER again will I EVER work for this company again once I get back home.
Im going to hand my uniform in the day I get back..

So just a warning to anyone considering applying here..You can make money If you want alot in a short period of time, But be prepared to work unworkable shifts.. Be used to getting sworn at and ignoring it, and if you don't brown-nose you end up on entrance exit gates. And i'm sure there is someone in that office deleting shifts for a laugh, because its not just me - most people here have had major issues. One lad was given 4 'allocated' days off which they wouldnt change out of 6 days.. So he came to London, paid for travel and accomodation which he was sitting in his room for 4 days of 6. Because the 'client has cut numbers'

There are some good points, if you get a decent supervisor (there are SOME there) you get treated properly and can do your job.. you will get water all day long, and the food hasn't been too bad (I havnt been out and bought any) other than on my days off. And the money isnt too bad (Steward 8.30 ph and SIA 11.00)

Hope this helps

a shambles and a disgrace as predicted.
its sad that all you want and expect to do is a decent job.
and its little to expect in return that you are treated fairly and with decency.
don't be scared to name names once its all over.
1.5 hours sleep is not reassuring to me as a member of the public.
but you'll do your very best i'm sure.
pity others won't be doing the same.
those who berate you are scared of their own inability to cope.
showsec arent any better than G4S when it comes to this sort of event.
I did tour de france for them and was truly adtounded by their low level of ability snd commitment.

going abit off topic but what i dont like seeing is how long workers are waiting for wages

im not knocking the rates that are being paid but i am knocking the length of time that the workers have to wait for it 30 day invoices on an 8 pound rate is not good you are always chasing your tail then

8 per hour should be 7 day invoice if you work for a company that is supplying then its them that take the risk not you as a worker

just a thought and like i said abit off topic but a good topic non the less

cheers all ed

Just like to agree with Maximus. I have just come back from working at BT london live with showsec. All hours are cocked up and cut this week there only getting 7 1/2 hours instead of 14 still under maned and cutting peoples days so they can do bloodstock. Glad im away also found out ive a no show for hardrock in july even though showsec paid me. Looking forward to phoning them 2moro
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just like to agree with Maximus. I have just come back from working at BT london live with showsec. All hours are cocked up and cut this week there only getting 7 1/2 hours instead of 14 still under maned and cutting peoples days so they can do bloodstock. Glad im away also found out ive a no show for hardrock in july even though showsec paid me. Looking forward to phoning them 2moro

Drewsy, if you're still knocking around london and don't want to really work with show sec, give me a shout. got a few days next week with my event company. sia is 9.50 p/h looking around 12 hours a day

Hi Pyrene, thanks for the offer but got my FPOS-I next week so will have to say no this time plus i live up in N.Yorks maybe another time in the near future.

Cheers drewsy032

I didn't know there were so many sensitive young boys here :)

These complaining seem to have little idea about the operational side of running these events. If you think you can manage such things better than the "inexperienced" supervisors then why don't you apply for similar roles? If you feel your strengths are not being utilised fully why not apply for a job where they will be?

There's no denying the fact this is grunt work and unskilled for the most part. On par with a guy who flips burgers for the security industry. The only way to deal with large amounts of staff is to reduce them to "numbers" sorry your dreams have been shattered, you are not a unique snowflake unless you prove yourself as such. Supervisors should have your backs obviously there are some good and bad ones.

There's a reason "casual" staff are refereed to as such, because they are causal, this applies for all industries. Usually meant to supplement another income. As an SIA license holder its up to you to make your jobs work for you.

From a management perspective it's good to see staff that are keen to work and readily available. Unfortunately there are so many timewasters that it makes practical sense to stick with staff who have proven themselves reliable, you seem to dismiss this as "brown nosing". Again, this practice is similar anywhere you go I think some call it "playing the game" or even "networking". You can do this for your own benefit too and many people do it everyday.

As many have pointed out these problems are not exclusive to showsec but natural sideeffects to working in this industry.

Don't have unrealistic expectations going in and you should be just fine. Even with all the issues outlined in this thread I'd prefer to do work like this than other lines of work (and I'm sure desk jockeys and burger flippers would be equally happy staying put to). Have fun all!

I didn't know there were so many sensitive young boys here :)

These complaining seem to have little idea about the operational side of running these events. If you think you can manage such things better than the "inexperienced" supervisors then why don't you apply for similar roles? If you feel your strengths are not being utilised fully why not apply for a job where they will be?

There's no denying the fact this is grunt work and unskilled for the most part. On par with a guy who flips burgers for the security industry. The only way to deal with large amounts of staff is to reduce them to "numbers" sorry your dreams have been shattered, you are not a unique snowflake unless you prove yourself as such. Supervisors should have your backs obviously there are some good and bad ones.

There's a reason "casual" staff are refereed to as such, because they are causal, this applies for all industries. Usually meant to supplement another income. As an SIA license holder its up to you to make your jobs work for you.

From a management perspective it's good to see staff that are keen to work and readily available. Unfortunately there are so many timewasters that it makes practical sense to stick with staff who have proven themselves reliable, you seem to dismiss this as "brown nosing". Again, this practice is similar anywhere you go I think some call it "playing the game" or even "networking". You can do this for your own benefit too and many people do it everyday.

As many have pointed out these problems are not exclusive to showsec but natural sideeffects to working in this industry.

Don't have unrealistic expectations going in and you should be just fine. Even with all the issues outlined in this thread I'd prefer to do work like this than other lines of work (and I'm sure desk jockeys and burger flippers would be equally happy staying put to). Have fun all!

and pray tell who are you

and pray tell who are you

Most likely someone who works within Showsec,

That said welcome on board Noxe.

Your first post is not what we usually see here at CPW.
I agree with some of what you said, however Showsec do deploy some shocking staff.

I do get asked to work on some of their contracts and bring in some of my guys as well
when working these jobs I find 85% of their staff to be lacking in ability.
I suppose that is why they contact me to fill the gaps and provide staff.
One thing I do fine a bit puzzling is why they use high numbers of inexperienced staff on N.M.W or just over
when they could use good operators on a better rate of pay and require less bodies?

If I am right, and you are connected with Showsec in some way, you might want to consider
using fewer, BETTER staff as apposed to saturating a job with "I'm not sure but I'll find out for you" staff.

regards

premier

Just like to add to what Pyrene & Premier said. Showsec have alot of good workers ( casuals in other words ) like me who want to do a good days work and earn some good money as well. You do what your told even thou you might have loads of differnet supervisors telling you this and that. Top side needs sorted out more than bottem. Then they chop your hours and make you have days off and this is the people that work hard not bum lickers that just fill the jackets.

Most likely someone who works within Showsec,

That said welcome on board Noxe.

Your first post is not what we usually see here at CPW.
I agree with some of what you said, however Showsec do deploy some shocking staff.

I do get asked to work on some of their contracts and bring in some of my guys as well
when working these jobs I find 85% of their staff to be lacking in ability.
I suppose that is why they contact me to fill the gaps and provide staff.
One thing I do fine a bit puzzling is why they use high numbers of inexperienced staff on N.M.W or just over
when they could use good operators on a better rate of pay and require less bodies?

If I am right, and you are connected with Showsec in some way, you might want to consider
using fewer, BETTER staff as apposed to saturating a job with "I'm not sure but I'll find out for you" staff.

regards

premier

well said premier and P

but i will say some times it comes down to the company wanting the profits that why they employ shite no hopers on a cas bases

many of us on here are not in that league we are professinals and do a good job and want good wages for said job

all the big companys are the same profit profit profit feck the workers how can they treat us CPW members the same as some idiot student looking for some cash to party over the summer is beyond me

but like i said thats the way of it

but also these big companys need to watch there backs as a good company with the right forsight to employ the better staff and pay a better rate for the service will move in and take the work off the others

so its swings and roundabouts they feck us and we will feck them at a later date

saying of the day

watch whos toes you step on, on the way up because those toes will be on the foot that kicks you in the arse on the way down

food for thought

cheers ed

also noxe good 1st post mate it didnt make you look like a twat in any way mate welcome to the forum

there is no excuse for employing shit staff.
none at all.
it is a god awful policy of recruitment that tries to justify it by saying they are only casuals.
I don't get the mentality that implies ye we employ shit guys , but we are better than the other shit out there.
and it doesn't matter as they are only csual.
and if you think you can do better come and try it.
sort of sums it up really.
truth is there are plenty out there actually doing better , paying better and trying harder.
maybe that philosophy might be a be a better course of action.
or have i read it all wrong.

truth is there are plenty out there actually doing better , paying better and trying harder.

very true! Sadly showsuck and other companies just want to say "yes we can do this contract as we have enough SIA staff"
if you are looking for casual event work, i suggest really looking at a firm i started with - Pitmans People. The stewards 90% kids (uni students) but the SIA lot are all regular club and pub workers, and not the 5 foot 9 stone Asda guard. Decent bunch of folk, the company looks after you, and pay is better than most event firms!

there is no excuse for employing shit staff.
none at all.
it is a god awful policy of recruitment that tries to justify it by saying they are only casuals.
I don't get the mentality that implies ye we employ shit guys , but we are better than the other shit out there.
and it doesn't matter as they are only csual.
and if you think you can do better come and try it.
sort of sums it up really.

OJ,

Your spot on pal ..
If you can get venues to admit that they need to pay more,
or be transparent with why they pay the rate they do.

I work for some BIG companies as you know, the guys on the ground (site agents / project managers) cant believe the charge rates I have to contend with.

Supply chain managers and procurement departments are to blame, the will go with cheap before good/reliable every time
it is only when they have had a major problem do any true security suppliers get a chance, and once the tender process starts again some fool puts in a price of £7.50/hr and we have to prove more over justify why we charge more.

I for one am tired of the process, I have indeed withdrawn service from some of my clients until such time as they stop taking the piss out of me and my teams.

regards

premier

Back