SIA Licence susended, help and advice needed

Clairelydia

Can someone please help me and guide me in the right direction.
So, we have taken someone on to manage our club house and it has come to our attention that the door man has been suspended but he has advised us that he can work in our club as security but just not on the doors, is this correct? Also, as he is self employed and runs a business, we have requested that we have a copy of his public liability and he has come back and said he doesn't need any as its on our insurance as hes working on our premises?
Can someone please shed some light as to whether we are being told the truth or being fobbed of?

EDD

Full Registered User
If you are a bar that serves the general public then you need a DS or CP license. The only ways around licensing are if you are using security guards in-house, i.e. shops, building sites, etc, but NOT licensed premises. If you are a private members club then I think you can also get around it.

EDD

Full Registered User
Hi,
The main question is, is your club house a licensed premises, and is it open to the public? If it is then he will need a Door Supervisor license.
It sounds like he is trying to use some of the loopholes in security Guarding and applying to Door Supervision. If you employe him in house (i.e. your employing him, not through a security company), specifically as a security guard then I believe he can work as security without the license (although Im not 100%), BUT he can NOT work with the general public when they are drinking.

I have included links to the SIA website. The first details the definitions of Licensed premises" and the second talks about "open to the public"
Definition of 'Licensed Premises'

Definition of 'Open to the Public'

premier

Longterm Registered User
Clairlydia,

I suggest you do not use this guy on your clubhouse door, if you pay him you are technically committing an offence!
Check his license number on the register and you will see what we already know, he doesn't have a DS license you don't get suspended from doing DS work and allowed to continue another licensed activity, or at least I've never known it, much the same as losing your drivers license and be allowed to drive a car.... but only a blue one!!!!

No insurance also means no intention of sticking around I'm afraid.

Regards

premier

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Clairlydia,

I suggest you do not use this guy on your clubhouse door, if you pay him you are technically committing an offence!
Check his license number on the register and you will see what we already know, he doesn't have a DS license you don't get suspended from doing DS work and allowed to continue another licensed activity, or at least I've never known it, much the same as losing your drivers license and be allowed to drive a car.... but only a blue one!!!!

No insurance also means no intention of sticking around I'm afraid.

Regards

premier

Well said, look for a reputable company with contractors insurance...and bar this tool for life, he's telling porkies!