Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Slight earpiece issue.

Winch

Full Registered User
Festival season over and I'm now back working on the door, had no problem with earpieces all summer due to all the radios i used were Motorola block type connections.

However I'm now working two different doors, one of which uses the trusty old Motorola 2 pin which I also have an earpiece for but the other is using some unbranded radios (which are actually pretty clear) which have a wider two pin connector.

Am i correct in saying that if i remember correctly the sockets on the Kenwood radios were slightly further apart than on the Motos ? There isn't anyone near me who sells earpieces to my knowledge so i don't really want to go ordering and returning for no reason, unless anybody knows of somewhere near the Reading area ?

Thanks in advance

Winch.

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
The 3 main types of radios were Motorolla, Kenwood and Icom. Some other radios were clones of these and used compatible earpieces. However, just because the pins are the right spacing doesn't mean that the electrics are the same, they could be wired differently and have different impedance both for the mic and the earpiece itself. I looked into making adaptors from one type to the other some years back and decided that it wasn't possible as the "earpieces" had a bit more electronics in than you might think. You'd think it would be one mic, one speaker (earpiece) and one switch, but there was also a small amount of circuitry.
So you will either have to get to somewhere that sells earpieces and try them out, or find out what type they are. Possibly if you send a photo of a radio to an earpiece manufacturer they will know what type of radio it is.

Incidentally, if you've using a block type Motorolla connection be aware that the digital ones have a different block than the analogue ones. You can get a Motorolla 2 pin ear-piece and separate adaptors for the two different blocks.

Winch

Full Registered User
You've pretty much confirmed what i had already suspected. I will have a closer look at the radios to see if there's any markings. It was just a thought really, mainly because the venues own ones are the G-ring type which are great on the front door when you need to hear conversation but next to useless inside with music. They also make you look like you're aspiring to be a police officer !

Winch

Full Registered User
Oh and on another note, apparently Maplin have quite a range of earpieces these days.

trophykev

Full Registered User
try rocket radio in Letchworth. He does all sorts and is very helpful. We had issues with Sepura headsets as the radio doesnt amplify the output, bit managed to get adapters that took a multitude of different earpieces.
I have no 'connection' just as a user.

Top Bottom