Some questions about the industry in the UK

masterdoomgnome

Full Registered User
I'm not new to the industry, but I'm new to the UK system. I've done my research , but there's a couple questions I want to ask.

Security that work in big malls for example, do they need DS+CCTV+SG? Or is just DS+CCTV or SG+CCTV enough?
Would it be advisable to do the courses in DS, SG and CCTV, so just two?`

Salary wise, I've seen plenty of adds with 7,5-9£ hourly salary. What job titles should I search to push it slightly higher, 10-12£ hourly rate.

Any big differences working in Scotland - England? Or any differences working in London, Cambridge or Manchester? Also would like to hear some thoughts on the living costs? I have some idea, but I would like to hear more!

Is sending your application via post still a thing in the uk??

Thank you guys for your help!
Is there other sites/forums where people chat/discuss the industry in the uk?

premier

Longterm Registered User
The people working in “Malls†or retail on the whole will most likely hold a DS license,
Those working in a control room environment within retail will most likely hold CCTV & DS
I don’t know many people that only hold an SG license, as you are very limited as to the type of work you are allowed to do.

Salary wise it will depend on which sector you end up working within and who for?

Where do you reside?

Regards

premier

masterdoomgnome

Full Registered User
Sorry, I forgot to tell, I live in Finland and have worked in the industry here in Finland.
Im planning on (maybe) moving over there for a stint in the security industry there.

I'm just not quite aware of what the definitions are, what type of work you can do with a DS license and so on.

I might be eligible for this: https://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/licensing-eea-workers.aspx
Any knowledge on this? What they mean by temp work, can I full full time for lets say 9 months?

premier

Longterm Registered User
I might be eligible for this: https://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/licensing-eea-workers.aspx
Any knowledge on this? What they mean by temp work, can I full full time for lets say 9 months?

You may indeed be eligible, I have no knowledge of the sector you would normally work within, as I stated earlier the most common or broad scope sector, DS would allow you to work at venue such as pubs, nightclubs and festival bars with liquor licenses in place for example.

I would advise you the Sia are not the easiest authority to deal with, it might be worth trying to find a employer/sponsor to help you prior to making plans.

Regards

premier