Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Some Serious Help Needed

Ellers

Full Registered User
Hello to all, Im new here and was wondering if I could get a couple of honest answers from the guys and gals on this forum.

Im currently serving in the RAF and im in the process of PVR, I have made my mind up to get into the CP world, my questions are as follows

1, I am currently looking at who is the best training company. Who would you guys and gals recommend??

2, Does it make a difference where or who trains you? If you were trained by nemesis group for example is that more likely to get good quality work than if I was trained elsewhere

3, In reality how much work is out there in the UK and Europe for CPO's

Many Thanks In Advance

Ellers

PSA

Full Registered User
Ellers,

Your trainning provider is very important as is there awarding bodies. You also require an SIA license ,if youwere in the shit ref something in your former days then asses that first no grant of license means no work no matter how good you are.
Anubis,nemisis, and Ronin SA are all good courses. You also need to recognise weather you are planning to do hostile work in the likes of afghan or iraq, in that case look at cse content without previous op experience infantry it could be more difficult to be excepted though that is not concrete.
Who you know is also what its all about. Get squared cse and SIA wise if your lookin UK then look for event work aswellm as CP work in the winter its a good start of point to meet and network. The UK is seasonal summer good ,winter bad, its not impossible but like i said ,who you know will get you on jobs. It pays to also have another trade to put to use if work dries up.

PSA.

co19

If you are going hostile environment go with the ronin south africa course, if you only want to work in the UK/Europe then the Greymans Close Protection Course is my advice. I am also a trainer with Greymans and below is a recommendation from Buckingham New University.

"As you will expect, we have seen quite a few external training provider's material, which has always been written with a heavy military bias. It was therefore extremely refreshing to discuss the Greymans approach, which took a new view of CP training, ie preparing the student for working in the civilian sector. We have for some time now felt that too many CP training courses focussed on the 'extreme end of CP', ie Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. This has left quite a vacuum in training for preparing the individual to learn the skills to work in the civilian CP sector. The Greymans course certainly took a very pragmatic approach, particularly with the practical skills being learnt in the typical civilian working environment.
My view is that Greymans will certainly be providing a unique course, which gives the CP student who doesn't want to go to Iraq or Afghanistan, the best opportunity to get a truly civilianised training course in Close Protection. We are therefore very much looking forward to accrediting the Greymans Training Course in Close Protection. I expect that any would-be student for our Foundation Degree who has been through the Greymans training course would have a distinct advantage over other students.

You might remember I told you that successful students from our external training partners are awarded 15 Higher Education credits towards the Foundation Degree. This is in recognition of the 150 hours required by the SIA Training Specification. I have discussed your training course with our Dean of Faculty, who agrees that we should be able to award 'Greymans' students 20 credits in view of your extended programme. These 20 credits represents a full module exemption, or as we prefer to refer to it as Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL). This is another reflection of the quality of your training.

It did also occur to me that the civilian nature of the Greymans training should be attractive to serving CP personnel who could be seeking employment outside the military or police. I would consider it to be the best transition course that I have reviewed for CP training."

I think that speaks for itself

Good Luck

Nick

Last edited:

Ellers

Full Registered User
My brother does do alot of event work although he doesnt hold CP. Is it the case that alot of ground work needs to be put in, in regards to getting your CV out there to every security company?.

Because im a beginner in the close protection world does that mean I wont be offered decent work?

My time in the military has stood me in good stead. I can always fall back on my Air Operations background to get a job at any major airport but I dont want to work in an office.

Any Help would be greatly recieved

co19

We all start somewhere, and I have done event work in the past, but that has lead onto something else which leads onto something else. Working is networking. Sometimes new people to the industry fall on their feet and get a longterm client/principal. Others do not make it at all. Its all about how you market yourself and how proffessional you are on every single assignment and yes luck can come into it, being at the right place at the right time. No training company can ever offer you a guarantee of work, no matter what they say. Have a good think about what you wish to do in the future.

If you are ever in the Reading area pop into the office/or even ring the office. We have an open door policy whether you wish to train with us or not. If I,m not there there will be someone to talk to.
That goes for anybody.

Good Luck

Ellers

Full Registered User
CO19, Thanks for the wise words. Im just a 100% dedicated bloke, Id do anything that got me into the CP world and Event security is a start, the only thing I would not consider doing is door work.

The only thing im worried about is sending out my CV to every company under the sun and not getting any work, but I guess thats one of the possible pitfalls.

Ill be in touch soon mate
Ellers

PSA

Full Registered User
Ellers,

Just one more tthing! Belting your CV out to every company is a start, however it is also competing against a thousand other blokes also most with more experience than you, the new guy, With the coys phone them ask to speak to HR ,get a POC email, try to get a feel of recruitment . Send your CV and follow up with a phone call a few days later. Don't give up! It may take months to land your first CP gig and remember the interim of waiting for your license to be processed you will not be able to work without it.
Your CV must be at its best with little experience it can be hard, but good presentation etc will go along way,i have seen some shockers believe me!
We all start some where my advice is also to plan your leaving date from the RAF come out with enough time to crack the course and then move in to the indusrty around May,June you will have a far better chance of employment then .

Good Luck.

Ellers

Full Registered User
I can do the course whilst still in the RAF which is good. Im gonna plan so that i have alot of saved cash for when i come out so if the work isnt as quick as i would like then i have some money to see me through. The one thing I realise is that i can use my resettlement money for a CP course or a plumbing/electrical course etc.

Do I want to work on a building site in the middle of winter?...NO

Do I want to invest my time in something I have wanted to do (close protection) for years...YES

Im not gonna give up, im gonna work my ass off.

Thanks for the support
ELLERS (male) lol

Project 4 Solutions

Full Registered User
Ellers

Hello and welcome to the forum. There is work out there, I won't go into my own little networks or what not but you have to broaden your horizens and you have to start off small and grow big. You mentioned that you don't want to work on a building site in the middle of winter, some RST jobs are exactly the same, patrolling round a fancy villa in the pissing rain. Same detail, and there is no shame in doing this kind of work, It is the mainstay of the work, you won't be spending every minute of the day as the BG on your principles shoulder. Alot of the time, they like to stay at home.

As people have said, it all depends on what you are after as to what course you do. What I will say though, is the SIA is only good for the UK. As a sometimes Employer and sometimes employee. When i'm doing my own contracts in Europe, the European guys get the edge, you are facing competion from France, Germany, Spain etc etc and they have some pretty good courses too.

Think outside of the box, the SIA means nothing, You can work in the UK but i've met some right numptey's who have got that expensive piece of plastic that i would'nt want to be within 10 foot of on a job. Go for the reputation of your training provider, there are company's out there who offer these flash by night courses and you'll scrape through the exam and come away with your nice shiney licence but you'll have learnt F@&k all, next thing you'll be getting slated for knowing nothing when it won't really be your fault, but the fault of the training provider who just rushed you through.

In my opinion you should consider: Nemesis Group, Ronin SA, Ronin Concepts, Anubis, Greymans,

But remember, opinions are like arseholes, everybodies got one and everybodies course is the best!!!

Only you can ultimately make the choice, but buy cheap, buy twice.

Good luck in your new career

Kev
Project 4

Ellers

Full Registered User
Kev, thanks for the words of wisdom. This is why I joined this forum to get guys who know what they are talking about giving and sharing advice.

Im serious about the building site stuff though lol. My time stood on a gate in the pissing rain in november was never a problem because at the time the Military was what I wanted to do.

In my honest opinion I have outgrown my trade in the RAF and want to be good at something else. My problem is that im the kind of person that either jumps in with two feet and gives 110% or I dont dso something at all.

I have had alot of negative people giving me advice about how CP work is only for ex SAS guys and that the money is good for about 2 weeks a year.

I have decided to become a CPO and ill give it my all, I guess its just natural to have questions and or worries about a new career.

Thanks to all you guys who have offered positive and very honest advice.

Ellers

mopatel

Full Registered User
Hi Ellers

There is a good company to do a course with is NIBSSS try them speak to dougie he was in the services for 17years as a ex RSM he knows his stuff maybe he might put you foward he has lots of contact in IRAQ.

Last edited:
Top Bottom