some updated information on UK firearm ownership

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
As we are coming back to the UK, I thought I needed to up date myself on what is happening behind the scenes, and the current thinking in Whitehall.
Sadly, there are still those who want a 100% ban on all ownership other than medium to large land owners, and strangely some Vets in rural areas might even be made exempt!
Here's a quote from a good friend "In the thick of it" and working on 'our side' and has been for 30 plus years.

"Life continues busy here. The police are taking a harder line over certificate renewals and grants and there is increasing emphasis on medical reporting as part of the certification process. The shooters recently had a win over increases in certificate fees (a couple of fees actually went down!) but if we are expected to pay for a medical report every five years, that will be painful. The police also wish to have a procedure whereby a GP will be encouraged to contact the police if he is concerned about the continuing suitability of the a patient to possess firearms.
There is currently a HMIC inspection into firearms licensing offices (12 forces only) and the Law Commission is considering changes to firearms legislation. The British Shooting Sports Council put in 33 pages of suggestions."

More when I know more.
DS

I don't need or have to do these updates, so if no one gives a shit, let me know and I won't bother posting any of this in future.
These are just 'inside' quotes from a long time friend who is near the top of an appropriate tree and in the right place.
DS

Last edited:
Australia is just as painful. Thanks it's always interesting to see how everyone else is fairing.

Preacher
before we came to the USA I wrote a monthly column for the "Guns Review" magazine, and handled pistol shooters problems with their local plod as two many Chief Officers had seemingly misread Section 27 of the Amended Firearms Act of 1968/9 as meaning they could make up any rule they felt like suited them. That part of the Act still states "The Chief Officer SHALL grant..." as long as some conditions were complied with. In five years, I never had my interpretation of the Act contradicted by anyone, let a lone a Chief Officer of Police or any of his minions. The Home Office printed their views on the Act including how to fudge bits of it. But one Chief Superintendent in Yorkshire was a shooter and we all had copies, but not from him. He just suggested people buy a copy of the book from the HO.

It's a double edged sword this one. they do make it hard to jump through the hoops but there are many loopholes that allow someone to circumvent the system and get pretty much anything they want. Trick is to know where to find the holes.

Very interesting, thank you for posting this. The mind boggles.

As we are coming back to the UK, I thought I needed to up date myself on what is happening behind the scenes, and the current thinking in Whitehall.
Sadly, there are still those who want a 100% ban on all ownership other than medium to large land owners, and strangely some Vets in rural areas might even be made exempt!
Here's a quote from a good friend "In the thick of it" and working on 'our side' and has been for 30 plus years.

"Life continues busy here. The police are taking a harder line over certificate renewals and grants and there is increasing emphasis on medical reporting as part of the certification process. The shooters recently had a win over increases in certificate fees (a couple of fees actually went down!) but if we are expected to pay for a medical report every five years, that will be painful. The police also wish to have a procedure whereby a GP will be encouraged to contact the police if he is concerned about the continuing suitability of the a patient to possess firearms.
There is currently a HMIC inspection into firearms licensing offices (12 forces only) and the Law Commission is considering changes to firearms legislation. The British Shooting Sports Council put in 33 pages of suggestions."

More when I know more.
DS

You cant be serious mate, some of us NEED this info! I for one appreciate your posts and time Sir.

I don't need or have to do these updates, so if no one gives a shit, let me know and I won't bother posting any of this in future.
These are just 'inside' quotes from a long time friend who is near the top of an appropriate tree and in the right place.
DS

You cant be serious mate, some of us NEED this info! I for one appreciate your posts and time Sir.

Thanks for that, and it matters to me when anyone comments of what I post. It is reassuring that some 'connected' people still think of me as a friend on their side, as too many are ready to roll over with a "What could I do?" attitude and then do bugger all.
I have always suggested to shooters in the UK to download the guide to the laws governing firearms put out by the Home Office as a guide for Chief Officers, and even that is only suggestions on how they should interpret said Law. However, it's the Courts that interpret the bloody law, not some plod clerk in the Chief Officer's office who thinks he knows what the Chief might like.

Interesting note been added...
Firearms Act 1968

Remember; "Gun Laws by Parliament, and not by Chief Officer's 'whims' or 'wishes' etc"
Sadly too many of them forget Section 27 starts with "The Chief Officer of Police SHALL GRANT..." Not "Might" or "May" but "SHALL" if certain conditions exist.

Back