Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stab Vests

mally1

Administrator
Stab vests are different from bulletproof vests, most of which offer little protection against stabbing with sharp-tipped objects such as knives.

A stab vest is a reinforced article of clothing, usually worn under other clothing, which is designed to resist knife attacks.

A stab vest is completely different from a stab jacket (short for "stabilizer jacket"), which is a type of buoyancy compensator used for scuba diving.

Two years ago Cambridgeshire Police made it mandatory for officers on patrol to wear stab vests.

The Fortis Stab Vest protects the vital inner body parts from low-to-medium force stabs, thrusts, cuts & blows or attacks with sharp, edged or spiked weapons, including hypodermic syringes.

North Kent PCSOs are among the first in England to be issued with stab vests to protect them if they are attacked. But the Kent Police Federation has condemned the need for PCSOs to have stab vests, saying their job is supposed to be non-confrontational.

Hospital security staff have been given stab vests Monday September 17 2007 -Security staff at one of the country's busiest hospitals have been given stab-proof vests.

Ireland - Garda members were each provided with anti-stab vests earlier this year and plans to provide firemen and ambulance workers with similar equipment was first mooted last year after emergency workers were attacked in Cork, Limerick and Dublin.

London Ambulance Service introduced Stab vests about 2 yrs ago and not on a trial basis-- permenant equpiment.

A stab vest will not save you from injury or death.

As people perhaps know, the famous fiber manufactures, like Kevlar supplied by Du Pont, Twaron supplied by Teijin Akzon, Dyneema supplied by DSM, Spectra and Goldflex supplied by Honeywell, do not provide useful and effective fabrics to make stab vest.

Stab vests are just one part of a package of measures to protect staff. Ideal for door persons, security personnel, or anyone working in a potentially threatening environment.

Some people have concerns such as "If stab vests are issued are some people really going to think they're indestructable and get themselves into trouble instead of withdrawing from a scene."

Ste7en

Longterm Registered User
Anyone looking for reliable Anti Stab/Bullet proof vests at a sensible price look here.

http://www.onestopcopshop.co.uk/

Second Generation Ex Police Body Armour Stab and Ballistic Vest

Second generation covert ex police body armour stab and ballistic vest.

The vest is designed to provide protection against knife, slash, ballistic threat 9mm and .357 magnum to UK Home Office Standards.

The vest has the following features;-

Light weight design approx 3.0 kg's depending upon size.

Adjustable velcro straps for comfort and adjustment to suit the wearer.

The vest comes in a wide variety of sizes, and additional information can be obtained by call us on 0117 370 6179

Price: £99

I know a few doormen that have bought from this company and have herd good reports.

Last edited:

FACSGC

Longterm Registered User
very cool

i think i may buy a couple and see how they stand up to a 45acp and a 12ga *after i have bought them of course* ( and yes i have a FAC and a SGC (hence my username)

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
So they are second hand, so you have no idea what they have been through, how well they have been looked after, how old they are etc. I'm not an expert here but I was told by someone that is, that body armour degrades with time and should be replaced after 5 years. The care instructions on mine would also suggest you have to be careful about storage and what you clean them with.
Are the doorsupervisors you know happy with them because they are warm and comfy or have any actually had their lives saved by them? I would value my life at more than £100.

co19

Littlewoman you are correct in all your statements on bodyarmour. Buy new not second hand unless you know the answer to the above questions.

hippy

Indeed, people often forget/dont know that kevlar degrads with time... Even if these vests are 'unused' how long have they been sat in a store room? Oh and lads, do you know heat/cold speeds up the process.... How often do you change your vest?
I change both of mine every other year.... Unless they are compramised by an incident....

Ste7en

Longterm Registered User
Littlewoman, How about posting your links to sites that dont rip doormen off then. The doormen I know in Glasgow and elsewhere who have had a lot more dealings with knifes have never had a bad thing to say about these vests. If you have a lot of money then go get yourself an expensive vest then, but for doormen who have to pay out of their own pocket, this is a viable option to having HOME OFFICE approved body armour instead of buying crap off ebay and others that are crap and rip off the doormen.

The vests have been tested by doormen in Glasgow. The vest stands upto Stanley blade slashing/various sizes of knife/screw driver,without any problems.

If you know companies that sell Body Armour and you know there product is to Home Office standards, and you know people who have purchased and tested the products, and are happy, then place a link to it on the forum. Better still phone or email the company with any questions you have.

Heimrisks

Guys,
A dear friend of mine, is the Scandinavian and UK distributor for Engarde bodyarmor.
The vest witch I have used is very light 1.9kg and only available in NIJ IIIA..(combo-vest both knife and bullet)
Excellent for covert operations
If your interested let me know and I forward his details

Hawk

Ste7en

Longterm Registered User
Hippy

The vest a that one friend had bought was less than 2 years old. he bought it six months ago.

But it simply comes down to money, there are people who dont have a lot of money, so this thread was for them to get some links to useful sites. Like I have already said, if you know of reliable sites then post them mate.

littlewoman

Longterm Registered User
Ste7en,
The problem with second hand stuff is that some of it will be good and some of it won't. Its like buying a second hand car. The difference is that with a stab vest you can't tell whether its degraded or not until you get attacked and then if it doesn't work you're stuffed.
I don't have a lot of money. I don't have a full-time job at the moment so I'm depending on event work and other temporary jobs to put food on the table. But buying a decent vest was something I felt was necessary.
I got mine from Stoppa, it is what is recommended on that other forum you're on! They have very good service, made to measure in 2-4 weeks. Yes it does cost more but your life is worth it.

Chriss T

Full Registered User
One Stop Cop Shop

I know people who have got some ASV from em, bloody good, they did a lot of sales in Aberdeen for schools believe it or not. can we please stop the bitchin on this site, i got fooked of with it on those other sites...

I couldnt believe they sold stuff to school kids mums n dads, you know things are bad when parents start buying body armour for their kids. Ste7en has Glasgow still got the Knife culture thing going on? I did some shifts on the door in Glasgow but it was killing me in petrol so had to find something closer to home, but great city, apart from the neds.

!dragon!

Full Registered User
hi guys i.ve jst purchased a new vest a Covert Ex Police Stab and Ballistic Bullet Proof Light Weight Second Generation Body Armour Vest from ebay from a company one stop cop shop. csp_cat is the name. good prices and good clean condition. now personally i've been working a venue where in 4 months i've personnally dealt with over 8 blade incidents. so its better to be safe guys and gals. been lucky suppose always got my whits about me. but one days some one will be too sly and come from the back while your distracted. over the last few years the young wanna be's are becomming bolder and bolder.

Hippo

Chris T

Without appearing to be rude mate many retailers advertise and sell via E bay as an additional outlet to website shopping, mail order and walking in through the door. If you read all the post is mentions the web site retailers address as well.
I've purchased many security related items through ebay and would advise anyone to shop around and not discount (no pun intended) ebay.

HIppo

!dragon!

Full Registered User
looking back at some of the posts i am not the only one who has looked at the site ste7en has also purchased from there but i managed to knock the price down to £75 plus postage. it is a reasonable site to purchase goods for any one on a budget and starting in the game. it was some advive but each to their own suppose

Marian

Longterm Registered User
So they are second hand, so you have no idea what they have been through, how well they have been looked after, how old they are etc. I'm not an expert here but I was told by someone that is, that body armour degrades with time and should be replaced after 5 years. The care instructions on mine would also suggest you have to be careful about storage and what you clean them with.
Are the doorsupervisors you know happy with them because they are warm and comfy or have any actually had their lives saved by them? I would value my life at more than £100.
Indeed the performance of body armor depends on how it was looked after, direct sunlight as well as water [I've read about people washing whole vest with kevlar inlets instead of just carrier] can effect its reliability, also the way the vest was stored matters generally if not worn vest should be stored flat, it should NOT be fold for example, some people use special hangers but this also can effect shape of kevlar layers.

The other thing is material that armor was made of, it's known that all Zylon [originaly introduced as stronger and lighter replacement for kevlar] vest have been revoked their certificates and recalled by producers as after just 2-3 year Zylon tends to degrade rapidly.
Also recently I've found that some vests made of Dyneema has been removed from the list.
OJP Bulletproof Vest Partnership and the Body Armor Safety Initiative: Home Page

However there were test carried out with more than 10 years old vest which worked perfectly
BulletProofME.com Body Armor - 11-Year-Old Vest Shootout PHOTOS

Still I wouldn't buy a secondhand body armor of any kind just because it's cheaper, simple question does it for me how valuable is my live for me?
Certainly more than cost of new vest ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom