STCW 95 entitlement?

Costa.Steven

Full Registered User
Hello shipers.
I have just heard from a pal working Marsec That if you have severed more then five years then you are entitled to the STCW 95 certificate. I was wondering if this is a shit dit or not. Any info would be good.

Hey guys,

This is true but im not sure about the time scale i.e what you have or haven't served.
But what i do know is from a Royal Navy / Royal Marines point if you have done a BOST or OST which includes firefighting, dunker drills etc etc then you can go through the civvie @ H.M.S. Excellent or maybe even Raleigh where ever you done the training then they can send you them for free and they have no period of expiry this is great but companies may ask when you did it and if your reply is "10yrs ago" then you could be forced to get a more unto date course under your belt.

From lads i know who have done it they have had no probes, + it doesn't matter how long you have been out as i only apply last year for it and i had been out for over ten years and i was still on the system.
Be aware if you failed any modules or didn't complete the full course then they might not send you out the certification, hope this helps

damianbevs

Hey guys,

This is true but im not sure about the time scale i.e what you have or haven't served.
But what i do know is from a Royal Navy / Royal Marines point if you have done a BOST or OST which includes firefighting, dunker drills etc etc then you can go through the civvie @ H.M.S. Excellent or maybe even Raleigh where ever you done the training then they can send you them for free and they have no period of expiry this is great but companies may ask when you did it and if your reply is "10yrs ago" then you could be forced to get a more unto date course under your belt.

From lads i know who have done it they have had no probes, + it doesn't matter how long you have been out as i only apply last year for it and i had been out for over ten years and i was still on the system.
Be aware if you failed any modules or didn't complete the full course then they might not send you out the certification, hope this helps

damianbevs

Many thanks for the heads up, i will get them then

Steven

Steven,
The posting above is correct. I recently left HMS Raleigh and before I left I accrued all the STCW95 certificates I was entitled to. Unfortunately I was 2 months out of date for FF and as a submariner was not entitled to Personal Survival techniques cert. However I did get personal and social responsibility as well as efficient deck hand and the steering certificate, which shows a potential MARSEC employer that you have other skills to compete with other candidates. A knowledge of ship-borne comms and navigation, rules of the road and seamanship will also benefit you if you decide on a MARSEC route. Get what you can before you leave.

cheers for the interesting read shippers,
does anyone have a contact number for excellent where I can ring them to send me the above good stuff out?

Just to clarify for anyone else, I spoke to Steve this week if you completed any BISC sea survival, fire fighting or any other course in the mob prior to Dec 98 it counts for nothing as the RN wasnt accredited until then. After this date and you should still be on their system. It may take a while to get certs as this is the mob but its worth a try .

Might as well chip in my 10p. Time scale is not an issue, as long as you do your BSSC at Whale Island (phoenix) post 1998, you are entitled to the STCW95 Certs. You could complete the course, leave during phase two, and you will still be entitled, however I done 5yr. This is from personal experience as I have just left the RN. Actually still on their payroll till feb. Anyhooo, I called Whale Island and they sorted me right out, certificates took about 10 days to come through, if that! Hope this helps anyone.

Having just left if you have done ISSC then you get Damage Control and Sea Survival from that. The first Aid and Maritime responsibilities are only 1/ & 1/2 day respectively. Need to see someone for that. Steve Barrett has left now aswell.

Back