SV training

ubique8556

Full Registered User
Gents/Ladies

What are people's recommendations for a surveillance training provider?

Any advice/opinions of folk working in the surveillance industry would also be very welcome.

Cheers

Morning ubique8556

The company you should contact is ISS Training Ltd:-

Welcome to ISS Training Ltd - ISS Training Ltd

The owner is Peter Jenkins, and you will be benefiting from his vast experience and proven expertise.

Please believe me when I tell you that future employers are paying close attention to what training has been completed by the applicants.

All the best,

JHD

Last edited:
As above - there are a handful of decent providers out there but ISS is the one I personally consider the best and most comprehensive in terms of what is available - and while you decide for yourself, get a copy of Peter's book (I have one) it's cracking

Gents/Ladies

What are people's recommendations for a surveillance training provider?

Any advice/opinions of folk working in the surveillance industry would also be very welcome.

Cheers

What kind of SV are you thinking of doing and what is your experience if any?

Most of the big SV companies insist on you doing their course before they will offer you any work.

Ubique,

If you sign up for one of our courses, you'll get a free copy of Surveillance Tradecraft!

Reah is correct in some circumstances but if you join a big company undergo their inhouse course and they find that you are not very good at it, you'll be out of their door.... simples! Whatever you do, do not enrol a course with anyone that hints that they will give you a job at the end of it.

Is it not better to fire off an application and attend an interview having undergone training with a reputable company? You need to be one step ahead of the others that are applying, if that's the case.

Good luck, I'm in the office if you have any questions...

Peter @ ISS

Thanks Everybody

My background is I'm a serving full screw in the Artillery, I was In the OP/FST trade as a team 2ic until I got injured in Afghan.
I'm interested in getting into Rural SV as it requires some of the skill I used as an OP/FST soldier, I'm also interested in Urban SV and would like to become well trained and experienced in this before moving on to Rural work.

I've ordered Pete Jenkins book as well as Ben Walls book to give me some insight into both disciplines.

I don't know whole lot about commercial SV as none of my friends and colleges have moved into that field post service although a few guys I know doing CP have a certain level of SV training or SV awareness.

From the little I've researched of the commercial market it appears to be less saturated than the CP and Maritime market, work can be steady for respected operators and the money can be ok as well.

What really ticks the box for me though about SV is like CP it's an interesting job where you work with other professionals from similar backgrounds as myself and you can use all the skills I've already picked up in the army.

Any opinions or advice on the commercial SV world would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

From the little I've researched of the commercial market it appears to be less saturated than the CP and Maritime market, work can be steady for respected operators and the money can be ok as well.
The SV market is just as saturated even more so as anyone can do it without training or any licence.

If you go through this forum you will see that many have done a course, bought the kit, set up a business with great fanfare only to be back a short while later with lots of stuff to sell. You have almost no chance of finding work yourself and will therefore need to work for someone else or be recommended by someone like Pete at ISS.

He says he is in the office so give him a ring. I have been told that he does tell it straight.

Good luck!

Firstly give pete a ring (lol) secondly asan employer of surv operators can I suggest you drop the force talk and write in plain english as a lot of us did not serve in the forces but in the Police, the language is completly different. I have a mixture on my teams of Ex Police ex military and ex civilian it works well as each has their own skill set. We often use crops on our teams but this is not the same as COP> Speak to peter who will give you the full non bs as it is .

Good luck
fbg

Firstly give pete a ring (lol) secondly asan employer of surv operators can I suggest you drop the force talk and write in plain english as a lot of us did not serve in the forces but in the Police, the language is completly different. I have a mixture on my teams of Ex Police ex military and ex civilian it works well as each has their own skill set. We often use crops on our teams but this is not the same as COP> Speak to peter who will give you the full non bs as it is .

Good luck
fbg

Thanks for the advice fbg, ill take that on board.

The SV market is just as saturated even more so as anyone can do it without training or any licence.

If you go through this forum you will see that many have done a course, bought the kit, set up a business with great fanfare only to be back a short while later with lots of stuff to sell. You have almost no chance of finding work yourself and will therefore need to work for someone else or be recommended by someone like Pete at ISS.

He says he is in the office so give him a ring. I have been told that he does tell it straight.

Good luck!

Set up my own surveillance company 3 years ago. Yes it's tough in the beginning and you will need funds to get you through the lean times. After you have done some good work for companies they will come back to you, if you don't they wont. I disagree with you not getting your own work. Get yourself a website and spend a bit of money getting it up the google rankings. People will contact you directly. I reckon my work consists of 50% sub contracted and 50% self generated. Good luck.....

Thanks for that advice Pmdg25

When your sub contracted do you normally work as part of a team and will you normally sub contract other operators for your own jobs or is this normally client/budget dependant?

Cheers

Thanks for that advice Pmdg25

When your sub contracted do you normally work as part of a team and will you normally sub contract other operators for your own jobs or is this normally client/budget dependant?

Cheers

I work with others(who have their own companies too) and occasionally sub contract out other work if I can't service it myself. Don't get me wrong, it takes a while to get established and start up can be costly if you take into account, website, insurance, equipment etc. I reckon I was 18 months in until I was able to make a decent living and stop relying on my partner and savings.

Back