swede arrested for building nuclear reactor in kitchen

David Platts

Longterm Registered User
Swede arrested for building nuclear reactor in kitchen

By Adam Parris-Long | Yahoo! News – 4 hours ago

A Swedish man has been arrested after building a nuclear reactor in his kitchen, claiming that splitting atoms is his ‘hobby’.

The Swede, named in media reports as Richard Handl, 31, was taken into custody after he contacted the country’s Radiation Authority, who in turn alerted police. Handl had kept a blog on his efforts, stating recently, “I was arrested and sent to jail, when the police and the Swedish Radiation Safety Authory (sic) searched my apartmentâ€.

cookerpicedit_150319.jpg

“They took all of my radioactive stuff…so my project is cancelled!†he added. With posts dating back to May, Handl’s ‘experiments’ included blending chemicals Americium, Radium and Beryllium on a gas cooker. Mr Handl claims that he has ‘always been interested in physics and chemistry’.

In his first post Handl states, “My project is to build a working nuclear reactor. Not to gain electricity, just for fun and to see if it's possible to split atoms at homeâ€.

Despite his arrest Handl continues to update the blog, posting media coverage of this exploits. If convicted, he could face heavy fines or up to two years in prison. Swedish police refused to comment on the arrest in late July.

ha brilliant i love this. can't see how its illegal though unless theres large amounts been used. If he chooses to damage himself through radiation then that should be fine - self inflicted. Only becomes illegal when others become at risk.

"oh you could contaminate his sink" i think we have bigger problems than that in this world. I am all up for him doing this for the simple reason that the european economy is crashing, and if he is buying radioactive materials...must mean he's buying off governments or associated bodies - brining money back to european economy one way or another.

at what point does playing with chemicals in your house become wrong when playing with them at work is fine. perhaps he should have classified his house as a lab and is investigating new forms of fuel...then would it be right

im rambling
i know :)

normal, sensible, sane none 'radio rental' folks don't really build nuclear reactors in their kitchens..... they make bacon sarnies and cups of tea pyrene, now i know you live with students who are filthy creatures :) but it isn;t alright, it just isn't ok... it's damned nutty

Would say this guy is pretty good already- he's managed to turn a gas cooker into an electric hob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's just trying to cut the cost of his bloody energy bills.
Have you seen the price hikes lately, it's the energy police nicking him for daring to try and avoid being fleeced.

"Swedish arrested for building nuclear reactor in kitchen"
A Pyrex pot and a spoon was somewhat disappointing !

Breakfast, Swedish style......

thumbnail.aspx

................................."Move along now please, nothing to see here!!"................................

max

Back