The Law on Searching Minors

TorpidRyan

Full Registered User
Hi guys,

So working a few music gigs you often get under 18s attending who have drugs on them. The venue I work at has a policy not to search any under 18s. So we just tell them to empty their pockets, and if there is anything kick 'em out. Unless we have CCTV evidence or literally see them ourselves dealing or blatantly taking.

Can I just ask, does the law here in the UK say anything specifically about DSs searching minors? Is it straight up illegal? Or is it legal but generally poor practise like opposite-sex searching?

Hi guys,

So working a few music gigs you often get under 18s attending who have drugs on them. The venue I work at has a policy not to search any under 18s. So we just tell them to empty their pockets, and if there is anything kick 'em out. Unless we have CCTV evidence or literally see them ourselves dealing or blatantly taking.

Can I just ask, does the law here in the UK say anything specifically about DSs searching minors? Is it straight up illegal? Or is it legal but generally poor practise like opposite-sex searching?

TorpidRyan,

There are a couple ways to address this issue, the easiest way to avoid legal ramifications is to ensure the rights of entry are issued and excepted by the ticket holders!
This will provide you as agent of the organisers to request any person entering the event
"consents to search upon request" therefore giving you a just cause to request a search, if the person refuses a search they are refused entry.
Alternatively the use of k9 drug detection whereas the dog handler identifies your suspects for you and you ask them to consent to a search.

I've never understood this whole searching the opposite sex issue, I have searched 1000's of females and I have worked with woman who have searched 1000's of males it's not an issue it's a simple search!!!
If you are trained to search correctly you know how to approach and deliver the search professionally and simply do it.

Anyone can refuse to be searched which is fine it means they that either they don't get in or will need to leave immediately.

Regards

premier

You need to do a Door Supervisor up skill course.

If you did your level 2 after 2010, you need to look in the mirror.

Personally I would ask that your DBS be Enhanced with List Checks, nothing against you personally, I meant I would ask that for anyone working at a venue with children. This is not a legal requirement unless you would be alone, but even at the busiest venues bad luck or contrivance can find a spot when you are alone and accusations can be made.

How's your police application going?

Yeah so it would seem there is no specific legislation that addresses the issue and therefore it is just a matter of coming across as being courteous and polite...

Okay, fair enough. I didn't think this was addressed on the initial DS course, and for the life of me it isn't talked about anywhere online.

From what you say it is just the same as any other person. I of course will not be going against venue policy but it is good to know if I work anywhere else.

It goes without saying you have to search people appropriately and under a camera on principle.

Back