Three Peaks Challenge.

I did it in 2011 and really enjoyed it.The only advice I could give anybody would be start at Nevis then do Scafell in daylight and finish on Snowdon.

A mate of mine did it for charity about 18 months ago, He's not a regular hill walker and he struggled a bit, his advice afterwards was make sure your boots are very well worn in, take a head torch and get someone else to do the driving.

I've been thinking of doing them individually for fun before attempting the 3 in one day, there are a few companies that offer a guide service and provide transport between each peak so you can rest up but they aren't cheap. Your best bet would be to attach yourself to one of the organised charity groups that frequently do it, you have to raise a minimum amount for the charity but they take care of all the logistics on the day.... and if your going to do it you might as well try and make a few quid for a good cause in the process

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Hi Lawton

thanks for that my aim was to do it as a something physical and different that would get me out and about. Will keep in mind the charity option again many thanks.

Alex.

Great event to do!... but if you can Alex? remembering of course that the 3 peaks challenge started out with a sailing discipline coming up the West coast? see if you can access one of these teams... I think it would be great to do the traditional event..!

I have completed 4 Mountain marathons at Elite, 'A' and Kletts Classic solo class, the first and second Highland Crosses and numerous other events. You'll not regret the blood, sweat and tears mate...

CD

As Carl points out this was originally just sailing, running and walking with no motorized transport at all. The modern version of that now uses Whitehaven rather than Ravensglass to access Scaw Fell Pike and so allows cycles for the first 15miles from port.

As for the car version - there are around 35,000 people do this every year, most do it within a few weeks either side of mid-summer and mostly weekends. This is putting a huge stress on the environment over that period. The Scaw Fell bit is done in the middle of the night with lots of vehicle traffic on very narrow country roads. The National Park are having to collect a huge amount of litter from the area as people are discarding used drink cartons and food wrappers. Even when its put in the bin, they're having to empty bins every day that usually only get emptied once a week. As what goes in must come out there's also a lot of rather smelly waste from the other end of the body that is causing such problems they're having to provide Portaloos this year.
A large chunk of this challenge is taken up with driving, with the impact that has on the environment, but it also gives the challengers a fair bit of rest, its getting away from the concept of a challenge that you should be challengeing yourself and being self-reliant.

There are other challenges that are more challenging to do, more pleasurable to do and do less harm to the environment. There's the coast to coast walk or cycle, the Pennine Way, Hadrian's Wall. You could do a number of Wainwrights, a number of Munroes, The Bob Graham Challenge (41 Lake District Peaks), I have a mad idea to do all the 800+m ones in the lakes once an injury has healed. There's loads of existing challenges and no reason not to make up your own.

Carl Dowd and Littlewoman

fair play to you both for the information and the fact that you have done some of these events. I am looking to get into this sort of event for the fitness side as I am creeping towards fifty I wanted something that would get me out and about as I find gyms a little boring and would rather be outside. My first thought was triathlon but seeing all these mud man type of events etc it caught my eye. Again many thanks for the info.

Best regards

Alex.

Back