Manjinder C

I have been an office administrator for 15 years and have just recently been made redundant. I am now in my 40's, and am thinking of starting my own business, since age may be a factor when applying for other jobs.

I am thinking of taking a long distance course to become a private detective, because I keep on hearing from other people that it is a lucrative job. Do you think that is true?

I have also looked into these courses where you can do over the internet or do via long distance study. The price of the courses range from a few hundred pounds to a few thousand. If I do decide to go down this route, how do I decide which is the best course for me and which is the course that would give me nationally recognized qualifications etc?

Finally, I am slightly disabled, and have my car customised so that I can drive it. Would that be a problem if I wanted to go into the profession?

As a private detective you really need to be the grey man, your modified car may be a giveaway, as would a limp or anyother type of physical characteristic that makes you stand out in a crowd.

Sorry but thats the truth!

Don't waste your money on correspondence courses. They are worthless.

If you want to get into the field, you should apprentice with someone who is a qualified P.I. Much easier and more "hands-on".

http://www.inst.org/pi/
Try this link.
Been disabled is no disadvantage sometimes rather an advantage as people do not suspect you. It however could be if you are unable to walk, this could prove difficult putting yourself in some situations.
There are many many courses available, take your time study each one carefully then make up your mind according to your needs and budget.
May I suggest getting in touch with some local Private Detectives in and around your area, explain to them what you wish to do and see if you can go along with them on some of their less important cases to get a feel for how everything works. Some will even give you small cases they have on their books that you would be capable of doing and they at that time do not have the time to take it on. They however usually pay on a job to job basis as and when needed. This may be a good way for you to gain experience and earn a little whilst you study. Hope this helps and your only limitations my dear are the ones you put upon yourself.

Back