Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

US Ambassador killed in Libya

Prestige76

Longterm Registered User
The US ambassador to Libya and three other embassy staff were killed in Tuesday's attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, say reports.

They died as an armed mob protesting over a film they say offends Islam attacked the US consulate.

It is not clear if US ambassador J. Christopher Stevens was killed in his car or the compound.

"The US ambassador and three staff members were killed when gunmen fired rockets at them," an official in Benghazi told Reuters.

Libya's deputy prime minister Mustafa Abu Shagur condemned the "cowardly" attack in a Twitter message, and named Mr Stevens as one of the victims.

Gunmen attacked the compound on Tuesday evening, clashing with Libyan security forces before the latter withdrew as they came under heavy fire.

Reporters on the scene said they could see looters raiding the building, walking off with desks, chairs and washing machines.

It followed an attack in the Egyptian capital Cairo, when protesters climbed the walls of the US embassy and tore down the American flag and burned it.

The protests were sparked by outrage over a video being promoted on YouTube by extreme anti-Muslim groups in the US.

Demonstrators say the $5m film, called The Innocence Of Muslims, insults the Prophet Mohammed.

It apparently depicts him as a fraud, showing him having sex and calling for massacres.

Many Muslims consider any depiction of the prophet to be offensive.

Sky's Defence and Security Editor Sam Kiley said the attack was a "violent and systematic" reaction to the film which he described as an "amateurish production", and the trailer for which was published on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the US.

He said: "I have watched 15 minutes of it. It is contemptible, idiotic and very crude, and deliberately rude about the Prophet Mohammed.

"It was deliberately intended to inflame exactly the sort of reaction that has come now - both in Egypt ... and then this Salafist attack on the American consulate in Benghazi ... with heavy fighting between the Libyan or security forces and the extremist Muslims, who have predictably taken extreme offence to what was designed to be an extremely offensive product.

"The tragedy is of course is that it's been successful. There are groups out in the Muslim world that rather than ignore this with the contempt that it is due, in my view, have been inflamed by it, or rumours of it."

Earlier, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said she had called the Libyan government to coordinate more protection for Americans in the country.

"Some have sought to justify this vicious behaviour as a response to inflammatory material posted on the internet," she said.

"The US deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation.

"But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind."

Libyan officials said it remained unclear whether the two protests in Benghazi and Cairo had been coordinated.

davidd

Longterm Registered User
The security manager will be out of a job...the thing was 'brewing' for a couple of days.

ed

Forum Supporter
any news on the security team
( and i dnot mean the liybians i mean the private contractors )
where they the 3 staff or not the news is not saying anything regarding the team

cheers ed

Standeasy

Longterm Registered User
Two former Navy SEALs (Diplomatic Security Special Agents, not contractors) were killed along with the ambassador and communications officer (former USAF). There were no Marine Security Guards there at the time of the incident.

Last edited:

Kelemansa

Longterm Registered User
I never trust this new Lybia flag coulors seams Afghanistan flag.
But who play with fire soon or later will be burned.

Top Bottom