Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

US Army Deploys Apple iPod Touch As Military Gear

Oddjob

maybe its a new recruiting ploy.
''Join the Army son and get a free iPod - touch.''

Some how i think this will benefit 'Apple' more than it will benefit the Army,
in both R&D terms and marketing.
Didn't think the screens and bits were that robust anyway,
but for ease of use, and introduction as a tool,
well its probably such a familiar device to a lot of the personnel already, and used by many as a leisure device on a daily basis, that training should be pretty easy for a change.
Also speed of operation, and adaptability shouldn't be a problem.

My youngest daughter has one; should I be worried ? is she planning a coup ?

Last edited:

xeeloo

Full Registered User
maybe its a new recruiting ploy.
''Join the Army son and get a free iPod - touch.''

My youngest daughter has one should I be worried ? is she planning a coup ?

I would keep an close eye to her the next couple of weeks :D:D:D

snapperrr

Longterm Registered User
"Snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan now use a "ballistics calculator" called BulletFlight, made by the Florida firm Knight's Armament for the iPod Touch and iPhone. Army researchers are developing applications to turn an iPod into a remote control for a bomb-disposal robot (tilting the iPod steers the robot). In Sudan, American military observers are using iPods to learn the appropriate etiquette for interacting with tribal leaders," the report says.​
According to an Army official in Baghdad, the devices have yet to be successfully hacked and at $230 a pop, the iPod may fit right into President Obama's 663.7 billion dollar defense budget.

Source: The Future of Networked Warfare Begins with Apple - ReadWriteWeb

snapperrr

Longterm Registered User
Tried to Edit or Delete This One!

I was going through 'old' posts and wanting a clean out and could not delete this one.

I'd like to know if there is a time limit on editing or deleting some old posts without asking a Moderator to do it?

Reason this one needed binning was the simply because it went right over old heads that military adaption of apple technology in kit which is robust enough for military use did not occur to them. :D

It has been used and possibly is still in use possibly, not for e-mailing the missus or girl friend, but for directing and accurately targetting air strikes by the enlightened military countries, not necessarily UK or US ones either. It is a feasible useable tool and by now it has been tried and proven or binned due to security issues and vulnerability to hacking. An encrypted system has it's uses if it was to be used or is used at present or in the future.

I'll be surprised if it is not still in use in limited circumstances outwith Iraq and Afghanistan too. Mull(ah) over that one as it may have farsi'ghted implications. :p

Any techies out there got updated info on this?

"Snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan now use a "ballistics calculator" called BulletFlight, made by the Florida firm Knight's Armament for the iPod Touch and iPhone. Army researchers are developing applications to turn an iPod into a remote control for a bomb-disposal robot (tilting the iPod steers the robot). In Sudan, American military observers are using iPods to learn the appropriate etiquette for interacting with tribal leaders," the report says.​
According to an Army official in Baghdad, the devices have yet to be successfully hacked and at $230 a pop, the iPod may fit right into President Obama's 663.7 billion dollar defense budget.

Source: The Future of Networked Warfare Begins with Apple - ReadWriteWeb

annie

Full Registered User
we don't clean shop no, sorry to dissapoint you, we may be keen and willing but jesus we do have lives man haha

snapperrr

Longterm Registered User
Thanks annie :)

I was just lookingfor useless or outdated posts to delete.

This one was of much use as some of my sad attempts at humour! lol

annie

Full Registered User
although if you started a thread that was say 'annie shags donkeys and was in playboy ten years ago' obviously that would get deleted cos it's a big lie..... i never shagged a donkey only woke up with a few next day, and i only buy playboy for the articles

snapperrr

Longterm Registered User
Behave Wummin!

although if you started a thread that was say 'annie shags donkeys and was in playboy ten years ago' obviously that would get deleted cos it's a big lie..... i never shagged a donkey only woke up with a few next day, and i only buy playboy for the articles

:eek: roflmao! :D

annie

Full Registered User
Do you mind not disturbing me snapper honey i am trying to fill out my entry forms for american military i really fancy one of those I-pod touch's. It's quite hard i have to put my name and everything in here..... isn't next of kin a movie Patrick Swayze was in?

snapperrr

Longterm Registered User
Snapperrr Out....

Do you mind not disturbing me snapper honey i am trying to fill out my entry forms for american military i really fancy one of those I-pod touch's. It's quite hard i have to put my name and everything in here..... isn't next of kin a movie Patrick Swayze was in?

Apologies ma'am, I'll let you get back to the form you are leaning on concealing your copy of Playboy from the spaniel. :p :D

annie

Full Registered User
No i just rolled it up to hit a dady long legs so she would eat it and stop trying to catch it, only so long you can laugh at a mental animal trying to aimlessly catch a winged spider before you have to put her out of her misery and feed her

Oddjob

I would keep an close eye to her the next couple of weeks :D:D:D
I now have her iPhone, what a generous daughter and such a lucky daddy. It is suprisingly easy to use and pretty robust,
(dropped it 4 times already)
Great piece of kit best Bluetooth link to the car yet.

She has a new iPhone,
does this mean she's going out with a very polite, generous, buzz cut US Marine, called Chuck.
If so I pity Chuck.
The females in this family are definately the deadliest of their species.
Good looking,(Mothers side) but Deadly.

Oddjob

I have this iPod just like the US Marines,
I've down loaded some music, stored some photos, even used it to call some one,
But how do I call in an Air Strike, and what's the co-ordinates for Accrington Stanley, I think it's in Norway.?

Mikssa

Full Registered User
As for Apple music, I'm used to convert it from M4P to MP3 with iTunes DRM Audio Converter for Mac. If you have purchased Apple music, audiobook, etc from iTunes store, you may have known all iTunes audios are combined with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. If you want to enjoy all these audios on Google play, Android phone, Windows media player, etc, you can try to use DRM removal program to get rip of DRM protection and convert audios from M4P to MP3, AAC, etc at faster speed with zero loss quality. Now you can learn its detail functions on HERE. Hope this tip is useful to you.

Top Bottom