What age is too old to work in CP?

Chris1882

I am 51 and after a career stuck behind a desk or travelling the world selling stuff at trade shows I am interested in having a crack at the world of CP

I have passed my SIA guarding licence, and am booked onto Door Supervisor and CCTV courses for Jan but my main interest in CP which is what i plan to go on a course for in 2017

I am fiercely determined and after a career in business i know how to network, but would any company give a guy aged over 50 (in good shape) a crack in CP? with no police or military experience?

Your age is not a barrier however, you will be up against guys with military and police backgrounds and a lot of experience.
Think very carefully before you pay out 2 or 3 grand on a course.
CCTV operators are much in demand at the moment if that helps.

Thanks for the heads up

I would not qualify for, or be interested in, hostile environment work, but would be interested in the corporate sector as have spent my working life around business people, likewise guarding a property would interest me, I would have no worries standing outside a hotel room for 12 hours keeping guard etc

I like the challenge of getting into CP so am up for giving it a go, even the most menial roles

I am 51 and after a career stuck behind a desk or travelling the world selling stuff at trade shows I am interested in having a crack at the world of CP

I have passed my SIA guarding licence, and am booked onto Door Supervisor and CCTV courses for Jan but my main interest in CP which is what i plan to go on a course for in 2017

I am fiercely determined and after a career in business i know how to network, but would any company give a guy aged over 50 (in good shape) a crack in CP? with no police or military experience?

Mate some good advice already been given to you. I can see your thinking with thorough knowledge of the corporate sector, maybe do some solid research/networking there, put the feelers out so to speak.

To be honest with you this time of year you will see plenty of decent jobs kicking about and its a good time to kick start a career in UK based security. For UK based RST/CP work you really do need to get networking, if you have friends already working in these circles or know somebody who is then they should be your first point of call. But as mentioned you really are up against it these days, the market is stuffed to the brim with individuals working and seeking out RST/CP roles and a lot who have experience.

What about looking at Security Management as you are business orientated from the sounds of it, maybe worth a look instead of shelling out a few thousand quid to then struggle to move forward.

There is plenty of security work out there mate, and I'm sure there are several roles that you could start in and take things from there.

Back