Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whats your favorite type of key and lock?

Project 4 Solutions

Full Registered User
jsider, this is a serious topic and i feel that it could become as important and prolific as what is your favorite sidearm?

My front door key is made by chubb and is a 5 lever mortice lock.

Take it seriously dude, and put the kettle on.

R2700m

I find in the absence of a key a crow bar makes a good substitute but that was before my rehabilitation training and release in the general public again.

andy_m

Full Registered User
I prefer the key of B flat minor, .......and you can't beat a half nelson. I'lll go get the tea!

Nomad

Longterm Registered User
It would have to be the handcuff keys, especially when you tell her that she isnt getting out of them whilst dangling the keys in front and the maid is about to come in and clean the hotel room. Kinky? well only the first time haha!

Bradley

Full Registered User
I like my local "great yarmouth Quay" a few pubs near by, some toilet facilities. All good.

annie

Full Registered User
Public toilets frequented by the cottaging fraternity by any chance Bradley?

Florida Keys, always wanted to visit myself

Ivan67

Longterm Registered User
If you know your locks a pre-assembled set of bump keys work for the opportunity on the go.

SimonA

Full Registered User
Slightly off topic but...

Overheard a woman in the pub moaning about how it's o.k for men to sleep around but for women it makes them slappers..

Excuse me but what do you call a key that can open any lock??

A 'Master' Key..

Any lock that will get opened by any key is just a shitty lock...

Si

Gemini

Full Registered User
Slightly off topic but...
A 'Master' Key..

Any lock that will get opened by any key is just a s****y lock...

Si
A Master key will not open any lock, but only Locks within a group of locks that you have access to.

Keyed Alike = Every lock works off the same key
Master Key = Each lock has a different key, but the "Master" Key(s) will open all of them

You purchase the set of locks together, or have a locksmith set the pin/lever configuration accordingly so that the keys operate in either way, as written above.

My front door lock
Do you honestly have one of those on your front door? :D

They run off a mortise latch, which offers about the same security as a door handle or a "Yale" type lock (nightlatch).

D

Deleted member 33

Do you honestly have one of those on your front door? :D

They run off a mortise latch, which offers about the same security as a door handle or a "Yale" type lock (nightlatch).

Yes mate and it works brilliantly. This is the only make of biometric door lock that can be fitted to any door. It is a 5 point multi-lock system and had been adopted by high end door manufacturers so your presumption of using a credit card to slide wouldn't work.

Rich H

D

Deleted member 33

Saw this type of lock on mythbusters and it was easily defeated!!
The fact here bandook is that all door access points have some level of vulnerability. The level of sy provided by this door lock is no different to a standard door lock.

When I moved in to this house the front door had a 5 lever mortice, the highest rated door lock as preferred by insurers. This door was not locked when it was closed but relied on the action of turning a key inside. When a key was on the inside someone else with another key could not gain access as there was only room in the lock for one key at any one time.

My point?

The point here is that there is more to door/ access sy than merely the lock. It is a procedural factor that enhances security and not solely the mechanism employed. If my wife was alone in the house and the door bell rang, she would answer the door (after looking through the door (peephole). After opening the door the unknown could easily push the door resulting in a too-ing and fro-ing. My wife would then have to push the door closed and then to turn a key to lock it - that is if there was a key in it in the first place.

Many UPVC front doors have the same lock mechanism as mine. You close the door, it is locked. With mine however, it provides ease of function and increased sy through procedure. No keys can be lost (by the kids) and any person can gain entry if we supply them the numeric code.

People these days do not pick locks. If a window or door is not already open then they will go round the back of the house and prise them open or cut the glass.

Security is defence in depth and not only the door lock. My house has body heat and motion detectors around the entire property that provides an audible alert. I have CCTV that will send me an image to my BlackBerry when it detects motion. All these methods provide an early warning of trespass before anyone even approaches the door. Don't ask me what would happen if someone actually managed to gain access.

There are door locks and there are door locks. Some are better than others but whatever one you choose must be balanced in relation to the threat and in balance with other systems employed.

Rich H

Top Bottom