Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

whats your favorite type of key and lock?

bandook

Longterm Registered User
Rich H,

Agreed, there are locks and there are locks and you are only as strong as your weakest point. All locks, with the exception of a few can be defeated quite easily. Alot of people spend alot of money protecting the front of their house, yet neglect the rear or side, likewise with, as you mentioned windows. What alot of people do neglect is their garages, which are probably one of the easiest locks you can come across and then leave the access door open into the main property.

You clearly take your home and personal security seriously, with overt measures etc.

As soon as a new lock is invented, there are methods of defeating that lock almost right away. This could infact open up a completely new discussion as to who can attend these courses (which is in fact everybody) most trainers will carry out a bit of, yep this guy looks ok, but you can never tell. Then with as previously mentioned the likes of UK Bump keys, Walkers etc, knocking out bump and rake keys, pick sets, pick guns etc, to anyone that just says they are a locksmith or (a hobby lock picker) you can see that you're never really that secure in your own home. Although some houses and buildings etc are of course more secure than others.

D

Deleted member 33

You're right bandook and I was expecting to receive a little hassle when I approached a locksmith company for courses for my guys. Nothing! Not that that annoys me but it does underline what you mention insofar as anyone can attend.

I'm thinking of putting claymores out to negate the threat in its entirety but I don't think I would get any post after that.

Rich H

Gemini

Full Registered User
When I saw the handle, I thought it looked like the typical latch type thing. I will have to look into it more. Do you have any other locks?

The lock is all fitted into one unit, where as, a system would usually incorporate a seperate controller in a secure area. (eg inside the building)

The brains of your lock are within the lock casing itself, which isn't as secure.

What make is the lock?

I am interested to see more :)

D

Deleted member 33

When I saw the handle, I thought it looked like the typical latch type thing. I will have to look into it more. Do you have any other locks?

The lock is all fitted into one unit, where as, a system would usually incorporate a seperate controller in a secure area. (eg inside the building)

The brains of your lock are within the lock casing itself, which isn't as secure.

What make is the lock?

I am interested to see more :)

The door handle you see in the image is of course only the outside handle. The 'brains' of the handle are electronically connected to the handle on the inside. I will try and dig out the make with a link. Wait out.

Rich H

Gemini

Full Registered User
If the brains are internally based, then that is a good thing :)

However, the overide key part tends to offer not the same security as a 5 lever mortise, and appear easier to pick.

If they can pick that, then they can probably get through a typical basic euro cylinder though, in any case. Like you said, they will often go for an open window instead.

Do you have (or are considering) using more of these, eg on the back door as well?

Multi-Lock and Brahmer were my high security lock off choice some years ago. not sure whats out there these days though. Both were bloody expensive but were very high quality.

But as Rich H has already stated and very rightly so, you are only as strong as your weakest point.

Spooky out

Gemini

Full Registered User
"What is your favourite lock?" is like saying "what is your favourite kitchen utensil?"

Is it a knife, fork, spoon, corkscrew, bottle opener or whisk?

Different locks serve different purposes. Some use a latch, some a deadbolt, and some wrap around.

My preferred lock for a wooden door would probably be several locks, but if I could only choose one, then it would be a mortise deadlock. If I went for a lever lock, then probably Union. If I went for a euro/oval cylinder lock, then the lockcase wouldn't make too much of a major difference neccesarily, but the cylinder would.

You have to decide whether it is a key, swipe card, code etc. I answered the question based on my choice of key lock.

SimonA

Full Registered User
A Master key will not open any lock, but only Locks within a group of locks that you have access to.

Keyed Alike = Every lock works off the same key
Master Key = Each lock has a different key, but the "Master" Key(s) will open all of them

You purchase the set of locks together, or have a locksmith set the pin/lever configuration accordingly so that the keys operate in either way, as written above.
QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing that out for me ;)

bandook

Longterm Registered User
Gemini, I think the original poster was taking the piss out of the thread, 'whats your favorite side arm?

Multi Lock are just the same as yale etc now, you can get a bump key for them too, so they're not posing too much of a problem, the fact that bump and rake keys are freely available is more of a concern, especially with vids on youtube and the like showing the scoundrels out there how to use them too. There are counter measures out there now though, which is always a brucie.

Visioneer

Super Moderator
My favourite lock ?

When it's mine, NO bugger is gonna get past it.

When it's somebody elses, it should be a piece of weewee ! :)

But seriously, it should be intimidating / sophisticated enough to deter the 'casual' sneak thief or opportunist burglar / snooper.

Having seen some of the ermmm...more sophisticated 'Method of Entry' hardware out there, NOTHING is gonna stop a determined pro getting in, given the time and inclination. Whether they can do it without leaving a trace, is another story. :)

Diamond tipped chainsaws tend to leave marks :(

Last edited:

Gemini

Full Registered User
Has anyone noticed how secure hotel rooms are?

Deadlock? Nope - just a yale style latch
Alarm? None either
CCTV? Not always
Static Security? Not on all hotels

It doesn't matter whether there is a swipe/prox card with nice pretty lights that change colour, it still doesn't change the fact that it is just a latch.

The hotel front door is also likely to be unlocked and wide open to visitors and tresspassers, corridors of hotel rooms are also quite empty and quiet, ready for the offender to pick or slip the lock and make away with your thousand pound camera.

Thanks for pointing that out for me ;)
Master keying can only be done with locks that use pins, not levers. Levers can be keyed alike, but not master keyed. I was told this by an experienced locksmith.

Gemini, I think the original poster was taking the p--- out of the thread, 'whats your favorite side arm?
I agree about the videos.

I must point out that the videos on Youtube are put out by lock enthusiasts who pick locks at home for fun, for others to see and have a go at picking, again for fun. They are not intended to be used to break into anywhere.

Someone will probably show you next how to force entry and film it being done live, knowing Youtube :)

medicgirl

Longterm Registered User
You saw my video then? lol Seriously though I am a big locksport enthusiast but there is way too much information already out there in the public domain!

mattlock44

Full Registered User
Being in the trade i'd say my favourite is the bulky standard era or yale Nightlatch with two rack bolts top and bottom on a wooden door (unglazed).
I'd be looking to get in a different way if you had this set up on the front of your property.;)

Gemini

Full Registered User
They are too big for my liking, I think I would rather have a mortise nightlatch with euro cylinder, and or, electric strike, if I needed a latch. Obviously, the level of security would only be as good as a door handle though.

medicgirl

Longterm Registered User
Mortice locks would definitely put off a casual thief. RichH pleeeeeaaassee may I come and have a go at getting into your place? Sounds like a challenge and too good to resist lol I now want one on my house. God help the person who tries to gain access to my place, although it looks pretty run down and with only minimal overt security appearances are not always what they seem! :)

Top Bottom