Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

when i run

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
now i dont mean when i run for the bus, but when i go for a run, like of an evening, intention of going out to burn some fat and get the chest going.

When i go for these runs, which today is a fine example, my right shoulder really starts to play up. Serious pain. So bad I cant run with it in so much pain (the swinging motion). 9/10 my right shoulder (never left) really gets into pain, just off to socket towards the neck.

any ideas what it could be or what i could do to prevent it.
I need to stay (get!) fit, as my medical the other day I was 2stone heavier than i thought...!

Cheers P

mts

Mate, i'm not a doctor. It sounds like you're tensing your upper body when you run - even if it seems iike you're not. Relax your upper body as much as possible, You don't need top "pump" your arms when you run.

Do a full body warm up and stretch before you run, not only your legs and relax when you run, as strange as it may sound.

M

Pyrene

Longterm Registered User
hmm interesting, ive never paid any attention to how im really running, i just focus on putting one foot infront of another and not tripping up

protectasia

Longterm Registered User
Can't help you specifically with the shoulder, but can with other joints/parts of the body.

As a veteran of both back and knees surgery, I cant emphasis enough the need for a really good quality shoe, may save you a lot of problems further down the line.

sweed

Full Registered User
I'm not a doctor either but I have had similar symptoms when I was a teenager, my sports teacher at this time advised me to do a few series of push ups before I go for a run and it worked for me.

I have passed 30 so it is not a recent experience and I do not remember my teachers explanation why it was like this, and I do not remember if it stoped imediatly or after I done it a few times, I only have the mental note: -This problem = This solution.

Hope this helps.

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
I used to have a similar sounding problem, very sharp pain in my upper back on the left hand side. Turns out it was actually a tightness in my upper pectorals that was pulling my back out of whack.
I'd see a good physio, even for one session, to get things loosened up and get the proper stretches sorted to keep it that way.

martin_7606

Full Registered User
Are you eating before you run? If so, don't. For me this used to cause a variety of pains to spring up all over my upper body which distracted me from running.

fortion

Full Registered User
start some upper body massage therapy and do some routine exercises for the shoulder such as rotating it 360 etc

Ivan67

Longterm Registered User
Radiculopathy Chronic Dysesthesia: Dermatome C-8 Upper Extremity

Just a shot in the dark.

Have someone run behind you to see which shoulder is lower than the other. First run it with good posture and then run it as you normally would.

During or after the run do you experience any numbness or tingling chasing down the back side of your arm?

After you get out of bed have you ever noticed the fore mentioned?

Have you ever suffered an upper spine incident, no matter how minor?

Not questions I actually want answers to, just pointing out the facts. If you suspect any of what I mentioned then find you specialized that deal with this. Someone who has published extensively on the subject, it is a non-surgical procedure. Another route is through an "Alternative Health Care Provider", such as an Osteopathy (strongly recommend this route).

The differences in the procedures; the PhD is a business minded individual, you will be sent out for man x-rays and MRI's, your consultations with seem fruitless and the procedure is the same, more f*cking pain than what caused it.

The Osteopath, charges by the hour and will most likely only see you for one hour. In this hour the Osteopath will determine if he or she can correct it without any further damages to the current issues or without causing other damages. When they say they can fix it, this is 100% truth because many countries still do not recognize them as medical practitioners and courts will side very fast with the victim in a malpractice case.

Then if the Osteopath can correct this it will most likely take only two more visits, where you will experience more f*cking pain than what caused it.

Just food for thought, hope you feel better.

Thunder

Full Registered User
now i dont mean when i run for the bus, but when i go for a run, like of an evening, intention of going out to burn some fat and get the chest going.

When i go for these runs, which today is a fine example, my right shoulder really starts to play up. Serious pain. So bad I cant run with it in so much pain (the swinging motion). 9/10 my right shoulder (never left) really gets into pain, just off to socket towards the neck.

any ideas what it could be or what i could do to prevent it.
I need to stay (get!) fit, as my medical the other day I was 2stone heavier than i thought...!

Cheers P

Hi Pyrene,

You will be surprise how wrong running technic can affect you.
While ago I start running after few months break. In the beginning my old trainers were fine but in few weeks I start feel tension in my shins and shoulders.
The solution: get new proper running shoes and do some research for correct running technic.
When you run you might not notice but sometimes people are swinging the arms across the body and cause rotation in the upper body. Therefore running is not that efficient and may cause your shoulder pain.
That is my personnel opinion.
Good luck buddy.

Thunder.

Top Bottom