Which map provider to use for recce's

swiftandcold

Longterm Registered User
Just thought I would inform all users of multimap, google map's or google earth.
When checking satellite pics for future jobs if you can't get chance to carry out a full recce prior to carrying out the job.
Google Earth/ google maps are 1-3 years old which isn't to bad.
Multimap can be as old as 2005 but currently in process of updating imagery.
Its quite scary to have these tool's that allow us to get a detailed ground appreciation just by a click of a button.
If i am away from home I use HTC touch and have google maps software.
But i would still alway's prefer to carry out a full 360 check (ctr), been caught out recently when covering the main exit only to find out we had more routes out that did not show up on on google map's.
Bad drills but wasn't in control. Never mind.
Any other tips that people use to get a full recce done. Need a decent set of NVG's but need's to be at a fair price. Currently looking at deben brochure they have a few that look fine, but would like to know what anyone else uses...

I use google maps and more specifically google street maps, these images are usually 1-2 years old but the detail you get is amazing, its just like standing in the street. You can 'drive' round the corners and stuff to see the back of some houses etc but not all the time so it has its limitations there but still an invaluable tool, it might even capture the subjects car that might not have been there on your physical recce.

Paul

What happened to OS maps!?!?!? The internet is a great thing to give you a lay of the ground but a good foot recce can't be beat can it?

Totally agree that a foot recce should always be carried out, however...not always feasable, but, just to mention a point about Google Earth, yes its a great bit of kit but outdated images were very apparent looking at a current prot I have. Earth showed a property with no boundaries, landscaping, and simple architecture, however upon arrival at the location to conduct physical recce....Additional buildings, mature growth and vegitation, fencing etc.
Time spent on recce's is time seldom wasted, indeed! (and try to get there in daylight! lol)

Guys and gals, keep in mind much (but not all) of the planning for the Mumbai attacks was performed using similar software. Onsite is best, but sometimes we simply cannot get onsite before. A good method is to use software prior to the onsite advance as somethings are visible from "the air" that are not so easily visible on the ground.

m

Mark 1 Eyeball [Minces]

Actually guys just something to add, my old man was a map maker www.fwt.co.uk so please do remember that Map makers place artificial points and places on Maps to counter copyright infraction. On some road maps this can include small hamlets. On Pathfinder..? all sorts.

So the advice of plates [feet] on the ground in conjunction with minces [eyes] is good advice.

Trust that this helps...

CD

Last edited:
On any surveillance/CP job that I have been on, I always go and buy the newest Philips Street Atlas for that particular area. I prefer Philips over A-Z as Philips use OS Maps, which are ideal for giving accurate grid references if needs be.

But that doesnt stop me comparing it to maps/satellite images from Google.

Follow this with a mobile/foot recce along with photographic/video supplements if possible. Then a sketch map for anything relevant.

Guys,

Take a look at Where's the path ?

Its an online application from Ordnance survey. To the left of the screen you get an OS map, to the right an aerial image of the same area. Move the cursor on either and it moves to correspond with the other.

Cheers

Pete @ ISS

(a), (b), (c) or ALL of the above?!

Not that I imagine anyone would, but I wouldn't dream of leaving my map recce down to one particular format.

Out in the sticks, I'd always go to OS (1:50 and/or 1:25) first and then onto Google Maps/Earth. In the Big Smoke, I'd look up Google Maps to to understand the street layout, then Google Earth to get a minds-eye picture of the area, and then an up-to-date A-Z to see if there are any particular traffic quirks (one way systems, etc) that I need to consider. I'll always try to get to the plot early, just to do at least a drive-by or walk around too.

I also have 'Memory Map' which is quite a useful little tool (especially if I'm out and about on the move).

Memory-Map : How it Works on a PC, Pocket PC and Smartphone with GPS Navigation Software

Pussers.

Edited to add: Just jumping on the chad-is-good bandwagon - "Never push a CTR too far!" ;-)

Back