Why are Bouncers/Doormen not given stab vests ?

Emm H

But it isnt the club goers duty to throw people out. Lots of bouncers have been stabbed and murdered. Common sense would say a stab vest was worth the £150 in this job.

You wont get much of a stabvest for £150. £300/£400 is more realistic. Very few companies give staff PPE, so the onus is on doorstaff to supply their own. Leicestershire police are having their stabvests replaced at the minute as well as it has been found that the current ones arent upto standard.

Oh i fully agree.
My advice to you, investin yourself and your own safety.

BUY A VEST FOR YOURSELF!!!!!

Most companies are too tight to supply their staff, look after yourself.

cheers

as a doorman you have to buy your stabvest for your one safety, beware buying online if you buy four or more CID investigate and youl get a knock on the door mate, i kid you not?

Pickedmine up on e-bay believe it or not! Bargain price and (though I dont want to test it!!) stops certain shotgun rounds!!!! Hahahaha believe me if they are carrying guns .... let them in!!!! lol

There's no such thing as a bargain stab vest/ body armour. Unless its new you have no idea whether it will work. Depending on how its been stored and cleaned in the past the protective materials may have deteriorated. Some of the new ones sold on ebay are of poor quality too, some have just had a product recall. If you buy an ebay bargain you may just have a very expensive body warmer.

Second what littlewoman says- any surplus vests are a liability, if kevlar is exposed to UV, water or stored incorrectly it degrades and won't do what it's supposed to. Any vests made out of the supposed "wonder" materials such as dyneema are also not worth putting on, the material was found to have degraded far in advance of it's supposed shelf life. There are a number of companies selling "ex german police issue" vests- DO NOT buy any of these they probably don't work!!! The material in them failed NIJ tests.
Only ever buy a new vest from a reputable company that offers warranties and has been around for some time, don't save your money on a vest, because the money you save could very well be needed to pay for your funeral!!

Why are Bouncers/Doormen not given stab vests ?

Who is going to supply them- The pub or club ? Don't think so, I still know many locations that won't even give their lads a coffee ! BYO !

The Door company ? At the rates he'll be charging the venue, less the d/s wage, sadly won't leave much scope for profit margin to start falking out on PPE.
If you want it, you'll have to buy your own.

Don't be duped by flashy, glitter advertising , backed only by sales woffle. Speak to those on the ground who've experiance in the field.

"Lifetime Warranty" is perhaps not a good phrase for body armour. If it doesn't work your lifetime will be the same as the body armour's. ie it fails - you die.
Unless its made of steel its going to degrade over time.

fare point, but like anyone, if you take care of your kit, and carry out regular checks, should a problem arrive, the warranty covers the problem, also, the guys who make these vest will up date you when improvements are made. as well as dependent on the areas / feild of work you are in these can be up graded to suit the situation.
No vest / kit is 100 % safe, no matter how well you look after it.
i was pointing out that there are places you can go to get good reliable, and fairly priced equiptment, the warrenty is just peace of mind.............

Well without working a single night as a doorman I can say it's because it will cost extra money to the companies.

Anyhow, I don't really fancy making a new thread so what would people recommend as a good body armour (just got my badge a few weeks back)? As expected ebay is flooded with cheap stuff but no point paying for something any money if it's not going to work. There are hardly any review sites so what would people recommend and what would be a good budget to get one?

Well done for getting your door badge, BUT im a little worried your life is only worth a Budget priced vest!!!!!! forget ebay, though im sure there are some good deals on there, go to a good comany who know what they are talking about and can provid you with good equiptment, and advise. my vest has been worth every penny i paid for it, and has on more than one occation saved me from serious injury, have a look at a company called polimill they are based in leicester and are a vat of important knowledge... good luck..... Little squirrel

Well done for getting your door badge, BUT im a little worried your life is only worth a Budget priced vest!!!!!! forget ebay, though im sure there are some good deals on there, go to a good comany who know what they are talking about and can provid you with good equiptment, and advise.

Nah that's the whole point, I don't want to buy a budget one off ebay, but I'm rather clueless on what to get, there are just so many choice on different sites. Thanks for that recommendation littlewoman and cheers squirrel I'll check out that polimil website.

The probs with somme doormans is that manny of them never been in the army. That's the reason whay they can't choice the right tools for the task they have got. Too heavy body armour for door, is useless. Did no one hered of kevlar plate? Is it light and can be used as trauma plate as well. Is cost only 100£ new .

Back