Work Potential

Gobby

Hi all,
I am seriously considering doing a HECPO course with Ronin in Hereford. I am 45 and ex military, is the work out there after the course. the last thing I want to do is spend about £4,500 for the course and then struggle to get the work. I don't expect to be earning top money right from the start, in fact the complete opposite, I will do any work going to get my name out there but I need to earn a living. Be honest folks, I would be very grateful.

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
Good luck with your future! You are in a market place with a significant number of "Gis a job" wankers with CV's that make the reader wonder which cabbage truck the writer fell off.
State what needs to be stated and NO MORE. Lilies don't need 'gilding'.
Try to enjoy life.
DS

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
basic advice

Good luck with your future! You are in a market place with a significant number of "Gis a job" wankers with CV's that make the reader wonder which cabbage truck the writer fell off.
State what needs to be stated and NO MORE. Lilies don't need 'gilding'.
Try to enjoy life.
DS

Greenboy69

Longterm Registered User
Not too many jobs going at the minute so recruiters are very selective. Most will ask for loads of qualifications and minimum 2 years hostile commercial experience as well as tours completed. Some companies will take anyone on, minimal experience, few quals, but they pay next to nothing, you can earn more in the UK for the hours you do, and still get to spend the night in your own bed, and I mean that literally.

Wages are being pushed down every month as well as living conditions to cut costs. I speak to guys regularly who were sat at home for 6 or 12 month waiting for the next contract. Just look at the huge loss Shell has just posted and you can see what's happening and make your own mind up as to what Iraq has in store for the next year or more. Not a great deal going on in Afghan either, and we keep hearing about Africa being the next big thing but I've been hearing that for 3 years with very little change. Maritime has practically piled in and most of the lads have gone back to Iraq and Afghan.

Sorry to paint a bleak picture but that's the reality at the minute and I can't see it picking up too quickly.

TMAC

Longterm Registered User
Had this very conversation today with a mate who is working overseas!
He is with a strong go with select clients but is safe enough.
There is better money to be made in central London or Even Dublin than there is in a HECPO or MARSEC environment right now.
Tread carefully, why would you spend a month sitting on some shitcan cargo vessel for 60 quid a day when you can, as someone else said, get twice the money for an SG gig and sleep in your own bed with your girlfriend or wife 7 nights a week... (Obvious retorts welcome )

ops1

Longterm Registered User
I have over 15 years of CP/ HECP/PSD experience, and not been in full time employment for 14 months. You do the maths.

Greenboy69

Longterm Registered User
Good luck Ops. I've spent thousands of pounds over the last few years on training just trying to keep myself employable and competitive, not easy. I'm pleased I'm not starting out in this game at the minute, I think it's fair to say I wouldn't stand a chance.

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
Good luck Ops. I've spent thousands of pounds over the last few years on training just trying to keep myself employable and competitive, not easy. I'm pleased I'm not starting out in this game at the minute, I think it's fair to say I wouldn't stand a chance.

Unless you started your own company and were promoting it as if you 'meant' it!
What do you have to lose? Go to Domain Names | The World's Largest Domain Name Registrar - GoDaddy uk and put up your own web site and tell the World what you can do and offer. That hosting company have some real bargain hosting pricing and lots of help in/on 'Do it yourself' web pages. 24 hours later you'll have your own company web site and your own company's email account. If you don't have a registered company, do a DBA (Doing Business As) whatever unique name that doesn't conflict with anyone else. I would suggest you don't use your family name, so be imaginative with a short company name.
Write 'third party' info. DO NOT write "...and I can do this and or that, as that was what I did when I was in...." Instead state; 'Company name' is well positioned to offer these services (don't list more than 4) and all operatives are recent ex-Military.
DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING WITH ANYONE UNTIL YOUR WEB PAGE IS UP AND RUNNING! Remember, when you were 'in' you were blood brothers, now you are their COMPETITION!
DS

deltasierra70

Longterm Registered User
Last thing, join "Linkedin.com" and do an announcement about your new venture. Don't say you've just got of the Military, ex-militay, yes. Going away now and wish you well with your next adventure. Just remember this is your only life, don't expect another one, so work on this one as if you mean it. And stop talking to your mates up the pub or club about anything other than the weather or the local football team, until the web page is up and running.
DS

glucklich

Full Registered User
Hello mate,

The best advice I could give you, or anybody in the same position, would be to avoid entering the Hostile Environment CP industry at the moment.

The only exceptions to this would be if you have serious medical qualifications, you are extremely gifted at foreign languages, or you have a close friend who works as a senior manager for a successful security company and is prepared to give you a job.

Hope this helps..

Dockers

Full Registered User
I'm finding with 'Language Skills' it's still tough to get work in countries such as, Afghan and Iraq.