Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Work Restrictions for service leavers

Craig

Full Registered User
Hi Guys and Girls

Im Out of the army in August but my ROD is the 29 October i know im not aloud to work in places like Iraq or Afgan but dose that stop me from working anywere els in the world (Non Hostile Areas)

Cheers

Craig

R2700m

Craig,

As far as I am aware you still have to make HMF aware you intend to take on a second job and in some cases write the CO a letter asking his permission. Not forgetting the tax implications.

Good luck

Vires Et Honor

Last edited:
Craig,

You don't say whether you expect to receive a pension or not? You'll be jepordising this if you take on work before your ROD. If you have family and you are killed before your ROD they receive nothing. You have to be aware that you are paid until your ROD by the Army, you'll find that most companies these days want copies of your discharge papers, red book and a letter from your mum. Ok may be not the letter but, a lot of companies have an understanding with the mil not to take people on until they are discaharged.

If you're looking at CCTV operating in Tescos I doubt anyone will give a toss. If it's security work in Iraq/Afghanistan/Bosnia/Kosovo/Sierra Leone, etc, then you'll be turned away at the interview if you can't produce the right documentation. You aren't allowed to work in a country where there is a British Forces presence (even if it's just a trg team) until you are discharged...

Hope this helps?

Neil

big si

Full Registered User
Craig,

You are in fact allowed to earn a second wage in your last 3 months, so I have been told by my ressetlement clerk, if you look on the Army Net and go to the Ressetlement part of that then you will be able to get the relevant documentation that needs to be okeyed and signed off by the chain of command. I will look at all my paperwork and try and get you the correct forms.

Regards

Si

Theatreman

Full Registered User
You are indeed allowed to work during your terminal leave, which is your last month not last 3 months! If you wish to work before you go on terminal leave you need the COs permission, just write a letter requesting permission to take paid employment, however, remember the tax implications and also the implications of your actions as you are still a member of HM Forces until your last paid day.

bushey

Full Registered User
i think you are allowed to work but it classed as work experience, its when the pay come in it gets complicated, as far as i know you have to inform the tax and that is it. the reason for this is if you are in your last 3 month and you have a garranteed job and you may lose it if you stay till your ROD then the CO can release you to take up that employment

like the others said check it out first with your resettlement officer, AGC clerks are ok but half know jack on this subject

Theatreman

Full Registered User
like the others said check it out first with your resettlement officer, AGC clerks are ok but half know jack on this subject
totally agree, check with me first ;)
You can work during resettlement as work experience but you shouldnt be paid as you are on duty, unless your CO has given you permission (always get written permission) to be in 'paid' employment.
You are spot on though Bushy, You can also ask to be released from service early to take up a job that may not be available if you dont take it now, this may affect your pension if you are nearing the end of your 22 but not always, if offered this, contact JPAC (SPVA) to confirm your pension will not be affected.

Last edited:

fluffy

Longterm Registered User
Beware and keep your arcs covered mate ,a guy in our regiment was kia in Iraq several years ago whilst on his termination leave and with that our regt became very anal ref working in security sector,if its like rst in London etc take it mate you wont pay that much tax

Theatreman

Full Registered User
There was a RLC chef not long ago who got himself a job as a chef with one of the security companys, took his resettlement as IRP (individual resettlement preparation) and started his job early in Iraq, he was back in the UK within days and tapping the boards in front of his CO. When you are on resettlement you are on duty, therefore he needed to have political clearance to be in Iraq, which he didnt have, unfortunately for him, he was 'largeing' it big time in an ECHOS to some of the lads from his unit who were there on tour, didnt take long for the hierachy to find out.
If he'd hung on till he was on terminal leave he'd have been OK.
If in doubt about working while on resettlement or terminal leave, speak to your IERO or IEROC.

DP1

Having recently done this myself, I can tell you exatly what happens from a tax point of view. Your new employer gives you a form on which you tick a box to say you still have another job (ie the Army) and then you sign it. Your new employer then sends this off to HM Revenue and Customs, and you automatically get put on an emergency tax code (something like BR) for your new job, and you pay 20% tax on these earnings. Don't be put off by the scaremongers saying that you need to think about tax implications. Its really quite easy....after your CO has given you his permission of course ;)

Top Bottom