Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

working in Iraq/Afghanistan

Hello mate,
Im curently with brit forces in Iraq at the minute and looking to get out and go private.
Any heads up on companys, courses, risks and rewards would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi pal how long you been in what Reg? Unit? What rank??

royal007

Full Registered User
hi Macduff,
Cr nowadays almost exclusively hire from their own HECPO course so unless you have done that or worked for them inthe past you might be at a sticky wicket...
Good news is that there are many others out there recruiting presently and they have numerous different jobs and better pay and conditions on many occasions I might add.
Dont know your background or details so I cant try to steer you in another direction.
As for the quietness of Baggers , well in short it isnt known as Baghnasty for anyother reason, it goes through fits and starts as far as insurgency and activity is concerned, TTPs change like the wind and some areas go from green to red on an almost daily basis and then revert back to green the following week.... in short are attacks still happening ... yes, is it dodgy.... yes ..... is there a possibility of getting killed .... unfortunately yes.

Hi Mick, I have my HECPO with CR coming up. What is your view on CR and the contracts they have to offer...?

cheers

R007

pithie1976

Full Registered User
i am the same mate i have just been trying loads of recruitment companys but it seems to get work out there its military only

Heimrisks

Its not all military, but the demand these days is hostile environment experience if you have this already and not making it maybe its time to booze up your CVs with training, or language skills.
If you dont have HE experience I doubt youre getting in at all
Atleast try to get some Middle east experience such as Saudi, Yemen, or similar
Hawk

sixtus

Full Registered User
Check my other looong post on advice guys.

Think outside the square.

Langauges, medical certs, plan a trip and visit the actual HR departments of the companies face to face(hundreds are headquartered in Dubai city,UAE alone).

Do a civvy course in HR or QHSE.

They have big attractive value. Plenty of ex-inf and ex-marines over here with cushy jobs in log and construction companies pushing pens and annoying everyone about safety signs.They can change over to CP at their leisure- Once you are here, its all about who you meet having a coffee that gets you the next job.That's how all of us here line up new gigs when contracts finish or we want a change of scene.

It follows if you are still in the mil over there, take the time to talk to the next fat long haired greasy contractor you see. Ask him for a job.Any NCO experience counts as being able to manage something. He might just need some guy to do admin and drive around a team of Africans at a refuel point for 3500 a month.

For the non mil guy I would do this.

1.Become a full blown EMT-P/ paramedic with experience.

2. Get any job you want from what I have heard:)

South american mines, CP, oilrigs, antarctic weather stations.

Or get a job in the UAE.You will eventually meet all the major middle eastern security players around the place.

Heimrisks

Barnet push the search button on top of the page
go thrue the vacancy list and look for the main companies doing business in Iraq and Afghanistan and then contact them thrue their website.
Some of us thats lucky to been there have direct contact with op managers, country managers for a few companies but we just dont hand em out to anyone.
Also if you dont have the background and training youre not going to get there..
If you do have the training and background you should know where to apply.

Just go thrue the company lists and appliy like the rest of us.
Good Luck
Hawk

pithie1976

Full Registered User
Hi just finished my cp course but i dont have a military or police background and finding it hard to get in the nindustry with no experience any advice or help would be much appreciated

pithie1976

Full Registered User
morning could you recommend any companys to try out there as i am new to the industry and not military and dont have he exeperience but i am more than willing to take a training course in it

Echo4

Full Registered User
Hi New to this form, is there work still in Afghanistan for CP Operators ?

Regards

ECHO4

james1

Longterm Registered User
morning could you recommend any companys to try out there as i am new to the industry and not military and dont have he exeperience but i am more than willing to take a training course in it

What a training course in experience? sorry but come on....

there isnt a training course out there that is going to prepare you for sandpit work.....and if it claims to....its BS!

Heimrisks

First of all to the new guys there are plenty info on the site, by just joined people here will not rush to help you guys out this is a industry where it need some networking and that takes time..I suggest you read the Vacancy page to start with..
Its bloody hard to get out there and if you dont have HE experience before and have some realistic security experience its not going to happend over night

Trust me..we are quit a few guys here that have earned this the hard way
hawk

KEVTHEMED

Super Moderator
Currently working as PSD team medic in afghanistan if you want info just ask. Not going to answer dozens of PMs though as im far to busy. I will give you a overview.
and no i wont handout the PM private email addy!!
Hawk has already given a more than honest answer, its bloody hard to get work in HE even with al the bells and whistles!
KTM

jay3216

hi im geting out the army and would like to no were the best place to look for work in cp on the web i want to work any were in the world

thanks for your help

Akita

Full Registered User
Looks like this is a very close nit community to enter! Without friends and family in the bussiness there must be a way to get job offers? I dont want anything given to me on a silver spoon, just need to know where people have found successfull ways of networking. There isn't exactly a "jobs in CP abroard" website, or is there?

On a completley seperate point:- when working abroad what can I expect if the worst was to happen? repatuation, compassionate leave, medical cover, flights home? (obviously different bad things happening) :0

Thanks to all you guys helping us that are new to this line of work :)

Akita.

fidelis2007

Longterm Registered User
Alkita a lot of things changed,especialy in Iraq and Afghan is on this way.Before if hit you could have a MEDEVAC but today let say it nicely forget about it.New rules are here and they're not the best for us but it's our choice to do it.This with MEDEVAC was just an example,can be a lot more of them.How this what you were asked be covered depence by your contract and for whome you're working.For example if you're working as an US DoD IC then you're covered by DBA,if you're working for a private client then usualy you get life insurance.And there is a lot of think what you should aks before get employed and that was sayed here a lot of times.
How to find a job Overseas.As "old bones" here said it's very hard to jump in but it's very easy to jump out.Use the google search with word PSC or search here on forum, make a good CV according to your expirience and qualification and aplly.Use your conetctions from military/police and start looking arround.Oh and yes,you should have luck!!Don't know what else to say,there isn't nothing new to say,all was sayed a lot of times before.Have a feeling this story is just going in the circle.

Top Bottom