Young Doorman..

cmcf

hello ive been interested in becoming a doorman for a few years now for a bit of extra income, im 18 and very mature for my age. Ive been learning krav maga for a few years now. i was wondering if many head doormen would take in an 18 yearold and what are my chances of getting a job.

Welcome to the forum cmcf.

It will always be difficult at your young age to get onto the door scene, aim for event work to build up your experience and to build your dealing with conflict experience. Event work pay is normally near minimum wage but it will help you gain the experience.

Hi cmcf, I am 21 and I got a job quite easily, I'm not the biggest of guys but it's more of who you know in the door world, someone who knows what you can do, like mally said try out events and build up experience and go from there.

Hi cmcf, I am 21 and I got a job quite easily, I'm not the biggest of guys but it's more of who you know in the door world, someone who knows what you can do, like mally said try out events and build up experience and go from there.

how do you mean " what you can do" ?

how do you mean " what you can do" ?

bothbarrels,

I will presume ETH4N "means" he is not just a jacket filler.
What he said does makes sense in, "it is not what you know, it's who you know"
He might train 6 days a week at a MMA gym or similar, and the door team he has joined "know what he can do"

That would be the old school attitude, and one I trust, as when the shit does hit the fan;
I am looking at my team and not for them! If you know what I mean.

cmcf,
Try contacting the main company in your area, the doors tend to need more man power when the football season is on and more so on the run up to the XMAS, 86 sleeps in case you are interested!
Also try speaking to the door teams at venues you visit, they will know who is recruiting and when.
Best of luck !

Regards

premier

bothbarrels,

I will presume ETH4N "means" he is not just a jacket filler.
What he said does makes sense in, "it is not what you know, it's who you know"
He might train 6 days a week at a MMA gym or similar, and the door team he has joined "know what he can do"

That would be the old school attitude, and one I trust, as when the shit does hit the fan;
I am looking at my team and not for them! If you know what I mean.

Regards

premier

maybe , but then I will only work with people I know. Which does back up the "who you know part" and I agree with that.
I just always find statements of "What I can do" a bit annoying and maybe that is down to the age of being 21. Which brings me to the point of why i wouldnt hire anyone under the age of 26,27.
I dont know what anyone can do until a situation arises then we see how they can handle/deal/resolve it, as you know not every situation is going to require a variation on a Darce' choke lol

I know where you are coming from bothbarrels and can understand your 26/27 rule, but then again there will be 26+ year olds who will bail when shit hits the fan, I guess you will only know until you have given someone a chance, it's not always about age but with age they will have a lot more experience with everything. Im the youngest in my team by 5 years..

I started on the door at a rough club at 17. I was the youngest on the team by at least 15 years but I trained with several of the team and they knew I had my head screwed on straight. However as was to be expected I was treat like the new boy that I was but I kept my mouth shut watched learned and got stuck in when required and within a few months I was an accepted trusted member of the team.

I know where you are coming from bothbarrels and can understand your 26/27 rule, but then again there will be 26+ year olds who will bail when shit hits the fan, I guess you will only know until you have given someone a chance, it's not always about age but with age they will have a lot more experience with everything. Im the youngest in my team by 5 years..

I totally agree with you , I have witnessed some of the biggest melts from some of the biggest guys who are way over 30 and have a reputation (mainly told by them lol) ... I just find that under 26/27 adrenalin and mainly testosterone will take over. something that could be resolved without rolling around on the floor can escalate in to that just from those high test levels. Saying that I think most people I work with have high testosterone levels.. maybe I am talking S**t lol
Its a hard one to call and i think with the Job Centres pretty much giving out badges i think the industry is due for a melt down

Years ago.
Team recruits came out of the local sports clubs, rugby, judo etc. The local boxing clubs ; where people's bravery had been witnessed, practised and tested.
I started when I was 18 exactly that way via a few boxing clubs and people knowing me.
With good mentors and TLs ; well 18 isn't too young, for the right 18 year old.
Doors recruited in house back in the day.
The agencies didn't have the sway they have today.
The money was good at the right venue.
And you could learn your craft quick enough, ojt and a bit of osmosis.
The advantage of sober over drunk usually evened up the years experience of your opponent. What you didn't pick up by watching and listening, you learned the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Close Protection World

I know I will probably get slated for this,but I would not work with a 18year old,just too young not enough life experience and from my experience with working with young lads a lot think it's a night out or the badge gives them super powers so they can fight anyone.i have worked with lads 19 20 and when it's gone off they have stood behind me,like I am they mum.

I started the doors when I was 16.
Learned a LOT very quickly from a great team.
Also lost that job when they found out how old I was. The head DS just moved me to another client.
Would I hire an 18 yr old? Not at all. Any 18 year old that asked me will always get the same answer.
Having said that; this year, I have supported 2x18 year olds in getting work because they were exceptional, passionate and skilled.

Does an 18 year old get proper door work (other than for G4S etc)? NO.

CAN they, if they are head and shoulders above, with the RIGHT approach?
Yes.
If you fit the bill you will get a position in a team who trust you and that you can then go on to trust.
If you don't... it will come

Bubba

Follow up - was on a nightout and chatted to head doorman who immediately like the way I handled myself and communicated with him at the end of it all he told me to get my license and we will talk again, got my license and now I'm working for him, thanks for the info and tips everyone! Think this is a good read for any young person aspiring to become a doorman

Back