getting into the industry

Hi Mate,

Can't really offer advice based on the short message. Tell us what you have tried so far and what previous experience you may have such as communication skills or worked in a customer facing role etc. I take it the 1988 in your user name makes you 22 years old, if not how old are you?

With some more detail it will be easier to offer advice and guidance.

All the best,

David

'Doorman1988'

I see you've asked the same question in both the DS, CCTV and Security Guard forum.

There's no easy answer to getting into any employment sector. Its a case of having the skills the employers want and being in the right place at the right time.

If you have your DS badge you can do both, DS and security guard work. Look at adding skills needed in those lines of work for example gain a first aid cert, do a fire marshal course.

Show an employer you have the skills to do the job and that you're the best person they can employ. Its not easy. In addition to paper quals, improve your customer service and communication ability. Plus work on a decent CV layout, most people fall at the first hurdle when applying for jobs. If you can't get to the interview stage, how will you get the job?

Most of all keep trying, every knock back is one step closer to landing a job.

all the best

Billy

Contacts mate, get friendly with the door staff in your area, chat to them, get to know them, ask if there's any work going in other local areas (dont work in the place you go out in), and behave in a professional manner even when out socializing and when chatting to these guys.

Fair enough, if you're out, have a couple of drinks, but be polite, well dressed, well mannered and well spoken, you will then give them an idea of your general attitude and when you ask for contacts, they will give you a blinding result (maybe even telling you to mention they sent you).

You must ALWAYS be professional, even when not on the job, its amazing how far the networks spread, and this network is near as damn it all about word of mouth.

Good luck and good hunting!

Hi guys,

I am 22, I come from the construction indusctry and highways industry so have had to deal with conflict at times. I do not have any badge yet and i am just thinking about doing this type of work.

Without hijacking the thread being only 22, no door experience as such, and not knowing anybody in the industry is it even viable to succeed in this game? I suppose with recession every tom dick and harry want to get into it so whats the chances being realistic?

Ime not an especially big man 16 stone and about 5ft 8/9. But i am very polite to people, however very assertive when i need to be. Also live in manchester if that makes any difference.

Cheers for any advice,

Jason

Its not impossible to get into without experience, I was 24 when I started and I had never done the job before coming from a background of IT/customer service roles. Just look around for companies that cover more venues for the best chance. There will always be somewhere looking for more DSs'

My advice would be to get employed by a contractor such as G4s or SGL. That's what I did, started as an events steward a year ago (first job) and then got my license and getting regular work with securigroup. I tried looking for jobs in nightclubs where they employ their own door staff directly but found it a lot harder. Hope this helps,
Mark

For what it is worth I found some work witha local security company to start, then started contacting a number of others. To date I am on the books for 3 companies one give me regular work & another I'm just starttying with.

You do need to be persistant & contact a lot of local companies & clubs.

At my wifes request I am not doing club doors, instead I am covering standard guarding & venues, such as concerts & shows.

That said the approach remains the same in finding work.

Back