bukowski

And they can clearly be seen- how would a private prosecution work? Can I get legal aid to make a case against the person?
Thanks-I will cut you in a share of the damages.
Many thanks for all your answers- I live in the UK so is this different over here?

there are very strict human rights laws around the use of cctv footage in court, your best bet is to take it to the police and hope for the best. good luck.

You can't get legal aid.

You could take out a criminal summons at the magistrates court, but the chances are they'd just get a ticking off from the beak, leaving you to foot the bill.

What's more effective is to take out a County Court summons for the full cost of the repairs and your expenses in making the arrangements. If you pay a visit to your local County Court, the clerk will explain how to go about it.

In the USA, you have criminal court and civil court.

You would take him to civil court to sue for damages.
If his acts were criminal (arson or malicious mischief) you may want to talk to the police.

In regards to the civil case, if your claim for compensation is below a certain amount, then you pursue the case in Small Claims Court - where you present your case and usually no lawyers are used.

A lawyer may help you get background and precedence but they charge money. You may have to do your own research and if you can find some law or previous case where you can sue for 2 times the amount or more for malicious damages.

I believe Small Claims suits can be filed at your local county clerks office.

Back